FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              175      
       177              194       195       end

Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Beni
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.176 #1 · p.176 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Does anyone know if there exists a tripod plate, non L, which works with the RRS Lever Release and allows downwards tilt of the screen? The RRS one doesn't apparently. Would love the Markins one which looks really nice but when I emailed them they said they couldn't garuantee the fit.

Feb 23, 2014 at 02:48 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.176 #2 · p.176 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Beni wrote:
Does anyone know if there exists a tripod plate, non L, which works with the RRS Lever Release and allows downwards tilt of the screen? The RRS one doesn't apparently. Would love the Markins one which looks really nice but when I emailed them they said they couldn't garuantee the fit.

Could imagine that something like Manfrotto NEX-7 Arca/Swiss plate would work. If the top plate is not suitable due to the two protrusions, one could machine (of file, if no proper machinery available) the protrusions away.

Also Sunwayphoto PS-N5 might work.

Who is the brave to test all of these... I also need one for other body, other body has always adapter so small L-bracket in adapter handles this need very well. I was thinking of getting the RRS, but if screen doesn't tilt downwards with it either then it makes no sense.

Samuli

Feb 23, 2014 at 03:27 PM
carlitos
• • •
p.176 #3 · p.176 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

To Samuli: Could you expand a little bit on why you changed from ZF lenses to ZE lenses. No aperture ring?

Oh, and nice review!

Feb 23, 2014 at 03:38 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.176 #4 · p.176 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Could imagine that something like Manfrotto NEX-7 Arca/Swiss plate would work. If the top plate is not suitable due to the two protrusions, one could machine (of file, if no proper machinery available) the protrusions away.

Also Sunwayphoto PS-N5 might work.

Who is the brave to test all of these... I also need one for other body, other body has always adapter so small L-bracket in adapter handles this need very well. I was thinking of getting the RRS, but if screen doesn't tilt downwards with it either then it makes no sense.

Samuli

Looking for a dedicated plate though. Can't work out though why companies are making them so long, like RRS. Why does it need to take up the entire bottom plate?

Feb 23, 2014 at 03:40 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.176 #5 · p.176 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carlitos wrote:
To Samuli: Could you expand a little bit on why you changed from ZF lenses to ZE lenses. No aperture ring?

For few reasons;
1. No adapter (=no mechanical play etc. benefits) - this is big thing for me, I also Leitaxed Leicas I most frequently use (=they have now EF-mount instead of Leice R-mount). The adapter from F-mount (or Leice R or C/Y) to EF-mount is very thin and there always were some issue with adapter. Even paying extra for "high quality" adapter didn't make sure it's ok - actually only adapter ever come into pieces was the damn expensive Photodiox.
2. Focus direction; Canon, Leica, Contax etc. focus to "correct" direction, while Nikon F (and Zeiss ZF) had to be turned to wrong direction. I have hard time adapting to this, as I have almost only manual focused since 2005.
3. EXIF-information (also correct value in EXIF:Fnumber, not just EXIF:MaxApertureValue, which was delivered by chipped adapters)
4. Electronical aperture, when rarely I shoot handheld I very much prefer automatic aperture (thou manual one is very nice for focus shift lenses)

Of course one day it's possible that ZE-lenses become useless e.g. Sony prevents Metadiox adapters to work and Canon goes out of business because they are stupid and keep producing just these largish size SLRs with 5-stop dynamic range and very bad quality CFA... However considering market shares currently, I'll be 6-feet under before this happens, so not my worry.

Samuli

Feb 23, 2014 at 03:53 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.176 #6 · p.176 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Beni wrote:
Why does it need to take up the entire bottom plate?

Camera is mainly made of plastic, I have 80mm generic plate and in sturdy tripod it's ridiculous how twisting the camera pends the camera body. This is one of the compromises Sony had to made to make the camera so small - tripod skrew and bottom around it is definitely not sturdy as 5DmkII or other semipro/pro cameras.

There are very little (compared to Canon and Nikon) accessories for NEX-cameras and if one considers how much less A7/A7r is sold than NEX; we are REALLY REALLY REALLY tiny niche on camera market. As it's commercial business to make these accessories it takes loooooooooooong time to get anything for Sony A7/A7r, if ever.

Samuli

Feb 23, 2014 at 04:06 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.176 #7 · p.176 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Beni, I got the Markins plate and it does not fit with my RRS lever. It's too loose, the plate can slide side to side when the lever is clamped down, and of course there is no adjustment for the RRS lever to tighten it.

The upshot is that the Markins plate does allow the LCD to tilt downward.

I am planning to replace my RRS lever head w/ a Markins Q-3 TR head.

Feb 23, 2014 at 04:08 PM
alexands
• •
p.176 #8 · p.176 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I would like to use the autofocus of the a7r followed by manual focus for critical focusing. I prefer not to have the camera auto magnify when I turn the focus ring and so I turn the MF assist option off and use the C1 button instead. However, when I press the C1 button, the magnify box does not default to where the autofocus point was located. Is there a way to configure it so it is? I'm referring to use of the camera with native lenses.

Feb 23, 2014 at 05:42 PM
john_edwards
• • •
p.176 #9 · p.176 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli, Thanks for an extremely complete, concise review of the pluses and minuses of the a7r/ a7.
John

Feb 23, 2014 at 07:51 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.176 #10 · p.176 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

mco_970 wrote:
Beni, I got the Markins plate and it does not fit with my RRS lever. It's too loose, the plate can slide side to side when the lever is clamped down, and of course there is no adjustment for the RRS lever to tighten it.

The upshot is that the Markins plate does allow the LCD to tilt downward.

I am planning to replace my RRS lever head w/ a Markins Q-3 TR head.

Very many thanks for that, just what I needed to be told to save me the money. There is a more modern lever head from RRS which self adjusts to any size plate but the upgrade for $120, just a bit too much methinks.

Feb 23, 2014 at 08:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jochenb
• • • •
p.176 #11 · p.176 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli, fantastic and honest summary!

Makten wrote:
Get rid of the filter and the blob will disappear. The halo is from the sensor toppings though.

You are right Martin! I had a filter on because I wanted to protect the front element from salt spray. I removed it and did the test shot again... the very ugly blob is gone. I had never seen such ugly flaring blobs caused by a filter, until now. It's a relief to know this, because it's more distracting than the halos.

Btw, I've been shooting some more with the camera and 55/1.8 today and why was I nagging about that lens at first? The color, contrast, sharpness, AF accuracy, pop when shooting subjects at mid distance wide open,... It would have been a big mistake if I had ignored that lens because of the bokeh in some situations. It has strong vignetting and some field curvature, but I don't care. It's so good.

Edited on Feb 23, 2014 at 11:32 PM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:47 PM
maumascia

p.176 #12 · p.176 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Hello everyone,
I've been following this post for a few months now and finally ordered an A7R! I'm now considering getting the Metabones III adapter fo my Canon lenses but I'd like to ask you a few questions before:

1 - Is the auto focus slower when using the adapter (vs when using a native FE lens)?
2 - Does anyone know if it works with the Sigma 35mm f/1.4? Their website says most third-party lenses are not supported, but there was a guy on flickr saying it worked on his nex 7.
3 - Are there any better alternatives for canon glass other than the metabones?

Thanks!

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.176 #13 · p.176 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

maumascia wrote:
Hello everyone,
I've been following this post for a few months now and finally ordered an A7R! I'm now considering getting the Metabones III adapter fo my Canon lenses but I'd like to ask you a few questions before:

1 - Is the auto focus slower when using the adapter (vs when using a native FE lens)?
2 - Does anyone know if it works with the Sigma 35mm f/1.4? Their website says most third-party lenses are not supported, but there was a guy on flickr saying it worked on his nex 7.
3 - Are there any better alternatives for canon glass other
...Show more

1) Yes, much slower. It's also less accurate.
2) Yes, it works with the Sigma 35 f/1.4
3) There are many cheaper brands on Ebay but currently I would stick with Metabones. Novoflex is designing a new Canon EF - E-mount 'electronic' adapter.

Feb 25, 2014 at 05:41 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.176 #14 · p.176 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli,
Very informative post.

FE35
+ Really good on focus plane; high micro and macro contrast, small aberrations
+ Small and light
+ Highly effective native hood (thou don't do any good for me as I shoot with polarizer >90% of time)

The FE 35mm's hood is threaded so you can screw a 40.5mm polarizer on it. If you want to keep your polarizer, just get a 40.5mm to 58mm step-up ring.
Fred

Feb 25, 2014 at 06:16 AM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.176 #15 · p.176 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli nice summary.
Dammit so many threads...can somrone point me to the manual someone linked somewhere. There is a html version as well as pdf docu...dont know which one is better.
Please.

Feb 27, 2014 at 02:03 PM
miklar
• •
p.176 #16 · p.176 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

nandadevieast wrote:
Samuli nice summary.
Dammit so many threads...can somrone point me to the manual someone linked somewhere. There is a html version as well as pdf docu...dont know which one is better.
Please.

Try this link
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=ILCE7R&template_id=1®ion_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab
Cheers

Feb 27, 2014 at 05:02 PM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.176 #17 · p.176 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Thanks.

Feb 27, 2014 at 05:57 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.176 #18 · p.176 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

If anyone's interested in seeing how the lens correction profile in Capture One works to eliminate color cast, Phase One just came out with a new concise illustration/tutorial here:

http://blog.phaseone.com/get-perfect-snow-without-color-cast/?utm_source=Apsis&utm_medium=professor_eblast&utm_content=IQP&utm_campaign=w0914_software

Feb 27, 2014 at 06:23 PM
nandadevieast
• • •
p.176 #19 · p.176 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Is it possible for some wise forum member to hack these cameras to produce true uncompressed raw files? Is it even possible?

Feb 28, 2014 at 09:56 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.176 #20 · p.176 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

It should be possible, but I don't know anyone with these skills. The Magic Lantern group and other similar groups who hack firmware for other cameras might be able to take a crack at it, but it would be a lot of work for such a small change.

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:23 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password