Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              174      
       176              193       194       end

Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

phuviano

Upload & Sell: On
p.175 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I also hope this rumoured uwa fe lens is wider than 16mm. I'm currently using the SEL 1018, and I'm getting used to the 13-14mm end of it.

Although, if it starts at 16mm, I'll most likely buy it regardless, since I love uwa lenses. Let's just hope it's not 18mm.

Feb 18, 2014 at 05:15 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.175 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I wonder what category a fisheye would fall into, something like "ultra mega wide". Zeiss calls everything 21mm and under ultra wide.Sigma calls there 8-16 a SUPER WIDE-ANGLE, the 12-24 ULTRA WIDE-ANGLE and the 24mm just Wide Angle. I'm voting for 12-24 because I love to shoot ULTRA WIDE.

Feb 18, 2014 at 06:20 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.175 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Are there any problems shooting Olympus OM wides on the A7? I would assume it shouldn't be a problem because of the distance?

Feb 18, 2014 at 06:43 PM
itai195
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.175 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I've been shooting an OM 21/2 with no notable issues so far. I'll get a chance to use it more seriously in a couple weeks.

Only issue with my lens is the aperture ring is a bit stiff. Need to figure out if there's an easy fix for that.

Feb 18, 2014 at 06:44 PM
ryanpfleger
• •
p.175 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

So out of curiosity, how long does it take you guys to charge a battery through the USB connection on the camera? I like that the camera can be used to charge the battery, as this means it easily connects to my solar charger for simple charging while away from the grid for long periods.

Feb 19, 2014 at 08:23 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.175 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

ryanpfleger wrote:
So out of curiosity, how long does it take you guys to charge a battery through the USB connection on the camera? I like that the camera can be used to charge the battery, as this means it easily connects to my solar charger for simple charging while away from the grid for long periods.

My first charge took a little over 5 hours.

Feb 20, 2014 at 02:50 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.175 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

FlyPenFly wrote:
Are there any problems shooting Olympus OM wides on the A7? I would assume it shouldn't be a problem because of the distance?

Lots of light falloff in the corners wide open, but I don't think that'a unique to the A7.

Feb 20, 2014 at 02:51 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.175 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Custom Setting Suggestions by Mark Galer (Sony Ambassador).
It could be helpful for those trying to customize and understand the A7/A7R menu options:

http://creative.adobe.com/share/d5567ee5-76c5-4e45-95db-b34597f0db4c?feature_set_id=b06fb6c7-7d18-4b6e-aa0e-888e459228fb

Feb 21, 2014 at 03:01 AM
lumis beans
• •
p.175 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Fred Miranda wrote:
Custom Setting Suggestions by Mark Galer (Sony Ambassador).
It could be helpful for those trying to customize and understand the A7/A7R menu options:

http://creative.adobe.com/share/d5567ee5-76c5-4e45-95db-b34597f0db4c?feature_set_id=b06fb6c7-7d18-4b6e-aa0e-888e459228fb

I went through the whole bloody manual to see if I could turn that forsaken scrolling shutter speed off in the EVF... the one that concomitantly kills the histogram. I missed this:

Exposure Set Guide - OFF, OFF, OFF, OFF, and never to be turned on again!

Thanks for that.

Feb 21, 2014 at 04:11 AM
pixeljohn

p.175 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Mark Galer does a nice job.

Feb 22, 2014 at 06:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jochenb
• • •
p.175 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I got the A7 with 55/1.8 FE. A few things are better than my RX1, some things aren't.
It has better ergonomics, faster AF and I can finally choose a small AF spot. A tilting LCD is very convenient.
The RX1 has better build quality, a much nicer shutter button, a silent shutter (the difference is huge) and is quite a bit smaller. I also like the aperture ring.
My issues with the A7 so far are the sensitive spongy feeling shutter button and most of all: the sensor flare. Shooting with the sun in the frame or just outside it is a pain in the behind.

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of the 55's bokeh in some situations, I wanted to try the lens because I've seen some amazing results from it.

Feb 22, 2014 at 06:48 PM
flash
• • • •
p.175 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Those shooting the 10-18 as a ff lens at 13-18mm. How is the edge performance?

Gordon

Feb 22, 2014 at 09:34 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.175 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Sold mine because of edge smearing and purple edges. It was very good in the center but the edges required more work than I was willing to do. Nikon 14-24 has replaced it along with more trips to the gym.

Feb 22, 2014 at 10:08 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.175 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

How different we can see things! I have just spent two solid weeks with the RX1 and a7r and mostly the 55/1.8 using them interchangeably. My experiences are the exact opposite of yours, lol.

The RX1 is a fine but fragile little camera, harder to hold, less ergonomic, fussy storage of it with the EVF attached, weaker battery, less controls and customisability. And I really enjoy the a7r shutter release! It feels much more solid and has a fine half press step, even the finger pad over the release works better and minimizes jabbing, esp in the -30 degree cold we experienced when finger feeling has disappeared. The camera is much less prone to unintended camera shake due to its larger mass and grip. The EVF and screen are hugely improved and are a pleasure to use, AF spot handling much more sophisticated once both focus area and focus settings are assigned. The FE55 is almost perfect, has overall very fine bokeh and focuses accurately in ultra poor light, e.g. 1/15s-ISO6400-f1.8. It takes its time but gets it right. Using the RX1 aperture ring is harder than the front dial in a right hand camera also.

Build quality is something one reads about but no or few details are usually given. The RX1 has a more fragile battery door, vulnerable EVF, tiny hard to find buttons. Fit of body components feel very similar to me. I see little to complain about in the a7r.

Feb 23, 2014 at 04:20 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.175 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Philip, I said that some things really are better than the RX1:
Jochenb wrote:
It has better ergonomics, faster AF and I can finally choose a small AF spot. A tilting LCD is very convenient.

I actually like that you can make the RX1 look like a P&S. Combined with the silent leaf shutter you can be very discreet.
The RX1 a fragile little camera? You must be joking? Remember that I'm talking about the A7 and not the A7R. The RX1 is a solid feeling piece of metal. Not that the A7 is bad at all, but not at the same level. The whole frontplate is plastic.
More fragile battery door? I don't agree again. It's at the bottom... so you never touch it when holding the camera. With the A7 you can feel the door squeaking when you hold the camera a certain way.
Tiny hard to find buttons on the RX1? Now I really start to ask myself if you still have this camera next to your A7R? I'm looking at both my A7 and RX1 as I'm typing this and the buttons look identical.
The shutter button might be a personal thing. I often shoot 2 photos with the A7, when I only wanted one. It's so sensitive and feels spongy.

Feb 23, 2014 at 09:44 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.175 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Congrats to the camera Jochen. Looking forward to see what you do.

Feb 23, 2014 at 09:59 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.175 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

BTW, I dont think the A7 have any quality issues as far as build. It has a bunch quirks but that goes for any camera I've had including the 5D2.

I have to admit that before the A7 was released I was hoping for a non-EVF camera such as the RX1. But now I realize that if it had been that way, I would have kept my 5D2.

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.175 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Thank you Wilhelm.
Maybe I give the impression that I don't like the A7 very much and that I have issues with the build quality. That's not my intention, I was only comparing it to the RX1.
The build quality is just fine and better than many other mirroress cameras (I tried most of them in 2013). The grip feels great. The EVF is great and better than the one for my RX1 (it has better eye relief). The tiltable LCD is great. The smaller AF spot mode is something that I've always wanted on the RX1. The AF is faster. And so on and so on...
It's because I like the A7 that I'm so disappointed about the sensor flaring. During my first walk with the camera I even got ghosting in half the photo when the sun was just outside of the frame. This with the native 55/1.8. I've never seen it on any camera I've ever owned.
Now I have to make up my mind. Keep it and cope with the problem, return it for a refund or exchange it for an A7R (which has other issues though).

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.175 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Jochenb wrote:
It's because I like the A7 that I'm so disappointed about the sensor flaring. During my first walk with the camera I even got ghosting in half the photo when the sun was just outside of the frame. This with the native 55/1.8. I've never seen it on any camera I've ever owned.

If the sun was outside the frame it is not sensor flare, but lens flare or camera flare. That said, sensor flare is a big issue with the A7(R) and a potential show-stopper for me.

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.175 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Toothwalker wrote:
If the sun was outside the frame it is not sensor flare, but lens flare or camera flare. That said, sensor flare is a big issue with the A7(R) and a potential show-stopper for me.

You have much more technical knowledge than me, so sorry if I mix up terms. One thing I know is that I've never seen it this severe on other cameras.
I posted this example (with the light source in the frame) in the A7 image thread:

There's a halo around the light source and look at the flare blob. Every LED of the light source is clearly defined. So weird.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:10 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password