Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              166      
       168              194       195       end

Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

marcbil

Upload & Sell: Off
p.167 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

miklar wrote:

Yes, the A7r requires more care than say my D3x, but then this D3x has its own issues.

I used a D3x with a 50mm mainly. Great to use, very good pictures. But too big.
How would you compare the pictures from A7r and D3x ? In terms of colors especially ?
Thanks !

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:07 AM
miklar
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.167 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

marcbil wrote:
I used a D3x with a 50mm mainly. Great to use, very good pictures. But too big.
How would you compare the pictures from A7r and D3x ? In terms of colors especially ?
Thanks !

That's a good question and I can't give you an answer yet.

To explain why; all my accessories are centered around Nikon's D3 series (I have both the D3s and D3x) including strobes. The D3x's primary purpose is for artwork reproduction and was acquired for its accurate color rendering.
To get color temperature accuracy it is necessary to run the NEF files through Capture NX2 and from there to Photoshop in TIFF format. Adobe's "Camera RAW" seems to do something which is not acceptable to curators or artists.
With the ARW files I've used a RAW converter (at the moment I'm can't remember which one) that creates NEF files and ran them through Capture NX2, the results appeared much better. Sony's "Image Data Converter" is one I'm still struggling with and Capture One 7 is too subjective. In all fairness the only way to be sure is to shoot color charts under controlled lighting and measure the final output with a colorimeter. Something I plan to do in the next couple of weeks.

As a point of note; I did not acquire the A7r as a replacement of the D3x, but as a "walkabout" camera. However, to date the results have been surprisingly good. Notwithstanding its shortcomings if color reproduction turns out to be similar to the D3x, my right wrist and forearm will be even more grateful

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:34 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.167 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Miklar,
I've got a suggestion. Why don't you give PhotoNinja a try with your A7r files? I don't care for ACR/Lightroom's rendering and have been using Capture One 7 for my A7r files, but decided to try PhotoNinja and am very pleased with the initial results. If you email them, they will send a two week trial registration code. A7/A7r support is in the latest release candidate which you can download from the site.

Jan 25, 2014 at 04:55 PM
seekuh
• •
p.167 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Does someone know how to check the number of shutter actuations taken with an A7?

Jan 25, 2014 at 05:03 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.167 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

seekuh wrote:
Does someone know how to check the number of shutter actuations taken with an A7?

It's in every photo you have taken, look at the EXIF:
samulis-mini:LRexport samu$ exiftool -s -G -All:*Count* "ready/20140120_170218_ZE21F2.8@f8.0_HDR(1dot6s,6s,25s)_ISO200_A7.jpg"
[MakerNotes] ImageCount : 2996
[MakerNotes] ImageCount2 : 2996

Samuli

Jan 25, 2014 at 05:18 PM
seekuh
• •
p.167 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
It's in every photo you have taken, look at the EXIF:
samulis-mini:LRexport samu$ exiftool -s -G -All:*Count* "ready/20140120_170218_ZE21F2.8@f8.0_HDR(1dot6s,6s,25s)_ISO200_A7.jpg"
[MakerNotes] ImageCount : 2996
[MakerNotes] ImageCount2 : 2996

Samuli

Thank you but I don't understand what I have to enter when using Terminal (Mac).

Jan 25, 2014 at 05:21 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.167 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Just open terminal and type:

exiftool -s -G -All:*Count*
(with a space after *Count*)

Then just drag your RAW file to the terminal window and press enter.
Fred

Jan 25, 2014 at 05:26 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.167 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

seekuh, you need to first install exiftool. There is readymade DMG-package in front page of exiftool website:
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Once installed you need to enter command:
exiftool -All:*Count* filename
where "-All:*Count*" tells exiftool to list all fields containing string "Count" and "filename" is the file you are checking the EXIF-info. Easiest way to do this is to write "exiftool -All:*Count* " (space in the end needed) and then drag and drop your file to terminal window and press enter.

PS. Do not trust the file data unless You have seen personally the photo taken (and monitored that no-one haven't modified it before you got the file) from which the image count is taken from. This is because the values can be faked in computer.
samulis-mini:LRexport samu$ exiftool -s -G -All:*Count* 20140111_143716_ContaxG90\@f16.0_ISO100.ARW 
[EXIF] StripByteCounts : 24337152
[MakerNotes] ImageCount : 2637
[MakerNotes] ImageCount2 : 2637
samulis-mini:LRexport samu$ exiftool -MakerNotes:ImageCount=666 -MakerNotes:ImageCount2=666 20140111_143716_ContaxG90\@f16.0_ISO100.ARW
1 image files updated
samulis-mini:LRexport samu$ exiftool -s -G -All:*Count* 20140111_143716_ContaxG90\@f16.0_ISO100.ARW
[EXIF] StripByteCounts : 24337152
[MakerNotes] ImageCount : 666
[MakerNotes] ImageCount2 : 666

Samuli

Jan 25, 2014 at 05:29 PM
seekuh
• •
p.167 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Fred Miranda wrote:
Just open terminal and type:

exiftool -s -G -All:*Count*
(with a space after *Count*)

Then just drag your RAW file to the terminal window and press enter.
Fred

Awesome, thank you so much!!

Jan 25, 2014 at 05:31 PM
miklar
• •
p.167 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Jeff Kott wrote:
Miklar,
I've got a suggestion. Why don't you give PhotoNinja a try with your A7r files? I don't care for ACR/Lightroom's rendering and have been using Capture One 7 for my A7r files, but decided to try PhotoNinja and am very pleased with the initial results. If you email them, they will send a two week trial registration code. A7/A7r support is in the latest release candidate which you can download from the site.

Thanks
I've downloaded it and will give it a try.
cheers

Jan 25, 2014 at 05:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

marcbil

p.167 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

miklar wrote:
That's a good question and I can't give you an answer yet.

To explain why; all my accessories are centered around Nikon's D3 series (I have both the D3s and D3x) including strobes. The D3x's primary purpose is for artwork reproduction and was acquired for its accurate color rendering.
To get color temperature accuracy it is necessary to run the NEF files through Capture NX2 and from there to Photoshop in TIFF format. Adobe's "Camera RAW" seems to do something which is not acceptable to curators or artists.
With the ARW files I've used a RAW converter (at the moment
...Show more

Thanks for your answer.
In fact I used the d3x as a walkabout camera (actually my wife's camera) and it is obviously an excellent professional camera, very accurate. The only camera to date I really liked apart from my medium format backs ... But my wife found it really too big ... Colors were a bit on the technical side but very good.
I hope you will find the right workflow for both your work and pleasure, please share your findings !
I ordered one, I will know more in a few days ...

Jan 25, 2014 at 06:22 PM
miklar
• •
p.167 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

marcbil wrote:
Thanks for your answer.
I ordered one, I will know more in a few days ...

You can't help but to get to like it

Jan 26, 2014 at 03:48 AM
miklar
• •
p.167 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Sony Carl Zeiss 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS

http://4.static.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS940x940~forums%2F52987646%2F6c1ee09d47a54ca0a35978783de5172d

A couple of interesting charts and looks impressive.

Jan 26, 2014 at 04:55 PM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.167 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Can anyone recommend me a nice third party leather halfcase or strap?

Jan 27, 2014 at 08:19 PM
miklar
• •
p.167 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Paul Yi wrote:
Can anyone recommend me a nice third party leather halfcase or strap?

A link to a "half-case" was posted earlier in this thread.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1247655/142#12019756
Hope this helps

Jan 28, 2014 at 04:02 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.167 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli, thank you for the exiftool specifics. Set myself up a batch file so I will remember how to do the file count next time.

Jan 28, 2014 at 04:25 PM
Kruschtel

p.167 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Well, look at this:

sensorflare von zwoliter auf Flickr

Strangely, this is NOT the A7 or A7r, but the lowly Nex 5N with a SLR-lens FDn24 at some ridiculous f-stop, maybe f16 or something.

Point being, that this kind of reflections are not a new issue, only the intensity of the A7 may be tougher.

Jan 28, 2014 at 08:26 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.167 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I think these spots are dust on your front element. Not uncommon to see this pointing into the sun in combo with high f stop. Try cleaning it and taking a similar shot. The flare is normal I guess (don;t have the lens).

Jan 28, 2014 at 08:34 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.167 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

What's inside? Check out the teardown of the A7r by Roger Cicala.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/01/29/sony-a7r-teardown-what-secrets-lie-inside-our-2013-camera-of-the-year

Jan 30, 2014 at 01:38 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.167 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Roger, if you are around, I'm curious about what measures Sony has taken with regard to the weather resistant claims - and I know those can be empty claims by any manufacturer, as you have also pointed out in another article. I didn't see any mention of gaskets in your teardown. I'm mostly curious if there are any obvious steps taken here versus say with the RX1 (which I don't know that you have done a teardown of yet).

Amazing how elegantly simple these FF Sony's are designed. If they can sell enough of them, it's hard to see how they couldn't make a lot more $$ compared to any complex DSLR competitor due to the simple construction, just as you have pointed out.

Jan 30, 2014 at 02:10 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password