Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              163      
       165              194       195       end

Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Jeff Kott
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.164 #1 · p.164 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Dimitri, there's no question in my mind that if you photograph sports, you need a Canon or Nikon DSLR.

If you love the files and the compactness of the A7r (as I do), you've got to keep that too. I'm pretty much in love with that camera and it sounds like you are too.

So, your only question is do you need the Oly system too or would something else do for the type of shots that you can't get with the A7r when you want a more compact system. There are so many options available for this use that I think that is a matter of personal preference. I think if I were in your postition (already owning the Canon and Oly gear) I would just hang onto the Oly gear for what it's good for and become a 3 system guy.

Jeff

Jan 16, 2014 at 06:30 PM
pixelreaper
• •
p.164 #2 · p.164 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

It seems that is the direction I am gravitating towards, much to the chagrin of my wife and my wallet!

Jeff Kott wrote:
Dimitri, there's no question in my mind that if you photograph sports, you need a Canon or Nikon DSLR.

If you love the files and the compactness of the A7r (as I do), you've got to keep that too. I'm pretty much in love with that camera and it sounds like you are too.

So, your only question is do you need the Oly system too or would something else do for the type of shots that you can't get with the A7r when you want a more compact system. There are so many options available for this use that I
...Show more

Jan 16, 2014 at 06:44 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.164 #3 · p.164 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

thanks for the macro suggestions! joanlvh

Jan 16, 2014 at 07:08 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.164 #4 · p.164 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

A7 cameras are like BMWs - bloody malevolent wallet-emptiers. Consult your financial controller.

Joan, the rumours site is reporting an FE G Macro lens to be 'announced' what looks like mid-year, in case you want to factor that into your plans. Of course 'announced' might be different to 'released'. A Zeiss 'fast prime' (thought to be a short telephoto) and wide angle zoom due to be announced in March.

More on the system business: It's easy to see why quality-conscious Leica M users are in the vanguard of a7 interest; the M cameras don't do so well for fast sports, high speed children, etc. No zooms nor nano second AF in them, nor telephotos longer than 135mm.

No one doubts their quality nor complains about their deserved place in the scheme of things though. It's all a matter of perception and doing due diligence on what you want and what you need, then checking that against candidate cameras / systems. One person's functionality is another person's impoverished system, and it cuts both ways.

Jan 16, 2014 at 09:47 PM
serhan_
• •
p.164 #5 · p.164 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Comparison of new generation of E helicoid adapters: CV vs Hawks

Jan 17, 2014 at 04:43 AM
nandadevieast
• •
p.164 #6 · p.164 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

If i am shooting sports or anything that has a limited time window and a money component: DSLR's with enough repeat shots with chimping to get the focus right.

For everything else: all cameras are good enough. Just that the Sony's are full frame if someone cares about the look.

I wont give much importance to EM5's faster focus vis a vis Sony A7 in that context. It eorks.

All Cdaf cameras are equally accurate when it comes to focus. Thats their generic streanth.

Jan 17, 2014 at 05:42 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.164 #7 · p.164 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Lloyd Chambers published this:

'I spoke with Sony today (Sony PR and a technical representative in SoCal) regarding the Sony 7R shutter vibration issue.

From the technical representative:

Sony does not agree that there is a shutter vibration issue.
Sony tech suggested they might consider implementing a shutter delay mode akin to something I had suggested (no commitment).'

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20140116_1-Sony-A7R-shutter-vibration.html

Jan 17, 2014 at 09:38 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.164 #8 · p.164 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

yes, nanda devi, but the cameras deliver more than a look, e.g. the 55mm FE on an a7, that is something that delivers better images from anything other than an Otus on a D800; it is better by a good margin than any of C/N's normal lenses, all of them.

It turns things upside down when a small mirrorless camera for $1500-1700 and a lens costing $1000 can do that, make better images than pro cameras...make no mistake: the D800 rewrote the IQ book, and was a runaway sales success - it remains the benchmark, and many D800/e users are looking very closely at these Sonys. My point is that many people care deeply about image quality despite the m43 talking up on forums.

It is not supposed to work that way. Pros get the best gear, the plebs copy their buying model - that is the C/N marketing strategy. The a7r drives many of them crazy, it's an extra level up. This is just the start of it, more lenses over the next year might be equally good. I expect as much.

Then even better FE cameras, and Sony would not be so silly not to put most R&D into FE. Zeiss are not making a high performance range of manual focus optics for A mount are they? An exclusive Sony deal most likely unless someone else makes a short reg FF camera...sound of crickets on that front.

Jan 17, 2014 at 09:53 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.164 #9 · p.164 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

philip_pj wrote:
e.g. the 55mm FE on an a7, that is something that delivers better images from anything other than an Otus on a D800; it is better by a good margin than any of C/N's normal lenses, all of them.

That's highly subjective. Technically the 55/1.8 FE might be superior to most 50mm-ish lenses, but the look it provides leaves me cold so far. It's quite agressive. High contrast bokeh, which can also be harsh/nervous at times. There are a lot of lenses that aren't as sharp, but give you a smoother rendering.
There's more to a lens than sharpness for me.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:04 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.164 #10 · p.164 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Jochenb wrote:
That's highly subjective. Technically the 55/1.8 FE might be superior to most 50mm-ish lenses, but the look it provides leaves me cold so far. It's quite agressive. High contrast bokeh, which can also be harsh/nervous at times. There are a lot of lenses that aren't as sharp, but give you a smoother rendering.
There's more to a lens than sharpness for me.

Which lenses do you prefer? And it's great that you can mount them on the A7r.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Matt Grum
• •
p.164 #11 · p.164 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

philip_pj wrote:
Joan, the rumours site is reporting an FE G Macro lens to be 'announced' what looks like mid-year...

A Zeiss 'fast prime' (thought to be a short telephoto) and wide angle zoom due to be announced in March.

Grrr... where's the wide prime! That's the lens I really need to make the system viable as a compact travel option, the Samboyang FE mount 14mm and 24mm lenses are just too large for this purpose, and rangefinder wides all seem to suffer the dreaded ray angle problem.

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:40 PM
theophilus
• • •
p.164 #12 · p.164 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Matt Grum wrote:
Grrr... where's the wide prime! That's the lens I really need to make the system viable as a compact travel option, the Samboyang FE mount 14mm and 24mm lenses are just too large for this purpose, and rangefinder wides all seem to suffer the dreaded ray angle problem.

I would imagine we will have to wait for the manual focus Zeiss this fall.

Jan 17, 2014 at 03:20 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.164 #13 · p.164 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
Which lenses do you prefer? And it's great that you can mount them on the A7r.

For example: the 50/1.4 ZE/ZF planar, slightly stopped down if you want smooth bokeh.
The new nikon 58/1.4 also renders much more gracefully than the 55/1.8 FE.
It's just a matter of taste ofcourse.

Jan 17, 2014 at 03:20 PM
fracas
• •
p.164 #14 · p.164 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Hi, just bought the A7, first impressions are very good!!!
One question: how can I set it for use with a remote controller (I have a third party controller, which worked perfectly with my NEX-7 and NEX-6)?
Txs, francesco

Jan 17, 2014 at 06:17 PM
waterden
• •
p.164 #15 · p.164 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Settings menu 3. Remote Control ON

Jan 17, 2014 at 06:25 PM
Peire
• • •
p.164 #16 · p.164 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Hi fracas

Menu-suitcase-like icon-position 3-remote ctrl-ON and you're done

Jan 17, 2014 at 06:27 PM
fracas
• •
p.164 #17 · p.164 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

great! txs!!! menu is not that easy :-)

Jan 17, 2014 at 06:58 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.164 #18 · p.164 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

@Fracas - I'm glad you are asking all these questions

@Everybody else - thanks for answering them.

I am getting some benefit from these, too!

Jan 17, 2014 at 07:18 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.164 #19 · p.164 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

stated as news from the rumours site:

'And five manual Zeiss FE lenses will be shown at Photokina in September.'

2014 Xmas presents on the way..

Jan 17, 2014 at 09:20 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.164 #20 · p.164 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

The 55mm is fabulous for many things but none of them will satisfy all aesthetic needs which is why people keep lenses for specfic purposes if they can afford it, and good 50s are often cheap.

If you can have just one 50-50mm lens for the money the 55mm is an extremely good choice, it does full view landscape to city to artistic to very sharp near wide open, great corners when you need.

All super accurate great lenses, in terms of raw performance, will need good handling, the 135 APO and the D15/2.8 being cases in point. This is the modern CZ look, to my eyes.

I think also people are still learning the lens. Here is a very nice bokeh shot - first image from thebratts (who is an RX1 shooter, a camera which does this kind of thing as well):

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248/100

what I see is masterful separation of the focal plane, orderly and well-presented background. The 55mm does wonderfully at close range.

Look halfway down this page at Matt Driscoll's set here:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/49391-fun-a7-7r-41.html

The bokeh is very 'informative' of background object shaping, which is a personal need for me in street work and low light work indoors. Of ocourse it is a match made in heaven with the massive DR of the a7 cameras - which also may account for some 55mm shots that could not have been taken with many other cameras.

Many shots might benefit from less final exposure. But cold and soulless it is clearly not. It reminds me of the D21 actually, that gritty rendition of fine detail. At $1000 it is a bargain. Speaking of bokeh, I am seeing some fine shots made with the 35/2.8 around the image forums.

Jan 17, 2014 at 09:54 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password