Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              162      
       164              194       195       end

Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

philip_pj
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.163 #1 · p.163 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

The answer to what is best is hard to say. Are you more camera-focused and happy with a mere 24Mp, or does your heart jump when you see a medium format like image open up in LR/ACR? Do you crop much? Hate shutter sounds? Use flash? Some lucky people are buying one of each..

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:25 PM
bcaslis
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.163 #2 · p.163 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

fotographiq wrote:
Got it, thanks. Is there a list of all the lenses Sony branded lenses that work on the A7 in Full Frame mode, i.e. not cropped?

Here's lens compatibility chart I found. The FE lenses are full frame. All the others are cropped on the A7.

Sony E Mount compatibility chart

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:29 PM
fotographiq
• • •
p.163 #3 · p.163 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Well, I have a pretty solid rig (27" iMac with upgraded RAM, etc.) that has never run slower than when I tried to push a bunch of images from the 36MP D800 through it. I don't need 36MP at all. So between the two, the A7 would be my choice. My question was more along the lines of "If I don't have any alt lenses, which I think is what drives many people to purchase the A7 to begin with (to play nice with all of their alt lenses), is it still a great camera for me with the Sony lenses?"

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:31 PM
bcaslis
• • •
p.163 #4 · p.163 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I have the A7 with the 28-70 and 55 Sony lenses along with an old Nikon E series 135 f2.8. The kit lens is very good, much better than most make it sound like. The 55 is truly excellent. My minimum needs are a standard zoom for general outdoor use, a fast normal prime indoors, and a portrait lens. My other wants are a longer zoom and macro for a minimum system. If the Sony 70-200 f4 is comparable to the Nikon 70-200 f4 then I would definitely get it. I'm waiting for reviews of the 24-70 f4. If it's really good then I would also get it and replace the kit lens with it but if it's not REALLY good I will keep the kit for general purpose.

My main use is not for alt lenses. But I knew what I would need minimum before getting it. Another benefit is that since the native lens supply range is small you get an effective way of controlling gear acquisition syndrome!

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:44 PM
jaclarkaus
• • •
p.163 #5 · p.163 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

fotographiq wrote:
My question was more along the lines of "If I don't have any alt lenses, which I think is what drives many people to purchase the A7 to begin with (to play nice with all of their alt lenses), is it still a great camera for me with the Sony lenses?"

Probably not. You are better buying into a 'System" that exists, rather than one that is promised and from someone not really known for great support (witness the disaster over their flashes)

Having said that, I already had 3 full systems (Canon 5DII, Canon 1DIV, Leica M9 all with lots of lenses) so it was more an "out of interest purchase" hence A7R - it's been good, but I wouldn't want to rely on it as the only camera ...

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:09 AM
joanlvh
• • •
p.163 #6 · p.163 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

anyone using a macro 1:1 lens they would recommend for the A7/r? thank u joanlvh

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:48 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.163 #7 · p.163 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

joanlvh - leica 60mm macro-elmar with matching tube?

I tried my cheapie M adapter and it was not a tight fit. I didn't get to try my cheapie helicoid M adapter though.

Jan 16, 2014 at 02:00 AM
daleaherman
• •
p.163 #8 · p.163 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

The Bokina.. Excellent on the NEX-7.

DSC04011 by AustinIsWeird, on Flickr

Jan 16, 2014 at 02:19 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.163 #9 · p.163 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

daleaherman wrote:
The Bokina.. Excellent on the NEX-7.

Great lens, not too expensive, but a tad heavy.

another cheaper and technically excellent option would be the 55/2.8 nikon micro, which is light, small, built in shade, and use tubes to go 1:1

the whole setup would be around 150usd, and sharp as anything IMHO.

the micro is so good I think they still make it Many feel it's the sharpest nikon ever and it's also great at infinity--well so is bokina.

You won't take the bokina everywhere, but the micro travels great, really tough, and easy to replace.

Jan 16, 2014 at 04:47 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.163 #10 · p.163 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

People are attracted to the a7/a7r for all sorts of reasons. Already savvy users are mixing and matching - for instance, many will find the 55mm most appealing but need a 28mm or a fast 35mm or 90mm - so high quality, often low cost alts fill the gap very satisfyingly while Sony Zeiss gear up production for those who prefer AF and OEM. Telephoto users are discovering what setups quell the shutter action best. FD and OM and loads more lenses are pressed into service.

The 55mm is a bargain, best in its class and is being recognised as such, and there will be four lenses as of next week. I think the sales will be a slow burn deal, as more users realise they don't need many lenses for what they do, and get to see how excellent the FE lenses are, how liberating small cameras can be.

What proportion of users only ever need a good zoom and excellent body - 50%? How many M lenses does the average Leica M user own? The 'system' meme falls apart quickly when examined in any detail. How about single lens cameras - not much system there, but visit the RX1 images thread to see what they produce. AF is fast enough for most, FPS ditto.

The 24-70/4 is likely to be better than the DSLR equivalents, so why lug a 2kg rig when something half the weight/size does a better job? As stated, the 28-70 is already a fine choice and a bargain for something with 3 asph elements and an ED element. Both are very light for what they do.

File size and PCs...the A900 produced 36+ Mp files five years ago. Upgrade.

Jan 16, 2014 at 06:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

twoeye
• •
p.163 #11 · p.163 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

The FE 24-70 seems to be delayed and is now expected to be delivered as late as March 10th in Norway.

Jan 16, 2014 at 07:01 AM
dovey
• •
p.163 #12 · p.163 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

The Canon 100 is an excellent 1:1 macro. The results from the Contax 30-70 macro is also excellent but requires you to be on top of the object being photographed.
I recently got a Rokker 50mm macro, with it's own extension tube, haven't used it as yet.

Jan 16, 2014 at 07:07 AM
fracas
• •
p.163 #13 · p.163 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carstenw wrote:
Do you mean the problem which is solved by the setting Menu>Gear>Page 2>Exposure Set. Guide>Off?

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:33 AM
pixelreaper
• •
p.163 #14 · p.163 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Has anyone been so bold as to really try out the weather sealing on the A7r with one of the native Zeiss optics?

I am having a really hard time deciding whether to keep the a7r and what other current gear to keep or sell. I don't think I could use the Sony as a primary system due to the autofocus performance. I do like to shoot moving subjects like kids and sports. I also place a premium on the small size to quality ratio of the camera as it encourages me to have it on me more often than not (something I can not say for my 5DII) Currently I use the 5DII as mainly my sports and Landscape camera and my OM-D for more snapshots and family photos.

Currently I have the a7r with 35mm, 55mm, and 24-70mm on order.

I also have the 2 systems below

5DmarkII, 17mm TS-e, 17-40mm, 70-200mm 2.8II, 40mm pancake

E-M5 with 12-40mm, 25mm 1.4, 45 1.8,

Any thoughts?

Jan 16, 2014 at 04:53 PM
nandadevieast
• •
p.163 #15 · p.163 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

You can sell the EM-5 and lenses.
You can replace the A7r with A7 and do with it what you do with EM5 plus everything else.
This is what i will do if i had this gear.
If you want, you can replace the EM5 with a Sony RX100 for family pictures and candids.

pixelreaper wrote:
Has anyone been so bold as to really try out the weather sealing on the A7r with one of the native Zeiss optics?

I am having a really hard time deciding whether to keep the a7r and what other current gear to keep or sell. I don't think I could use the Sony as a primary system due to the autofocus performance. I do like to shoot moving subjects like kids and sports. I also place a premium on the small size to quality ratio of the camera as it encourages me to have it on me more often than not
...Show more

Jan 16, 2014 at 05:41 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.163 #16 · p.163 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Here's a couple thoughts on the previous two posts.

One thought is that if you have the Canon system for sports and landscape and the Oly system for everything else, you're covered and don't need anything else.

Second comment about the RX 100 is that I've been using one for over a year. The lens is really good at the widest focal length (28 equiv.), but speed and quality drops off rapidly at longer focal lengths. So I'm thinking about replacing my RX 100 with a Panny GM 1 (which I would use with a 20/1.7 pancake and the kit zoom) or the Oly EM 10 which is rumored to be announced shortly and which is expected to be a GM1 competitor size wise with in-body OIS.

Jan 16, 2014 at 05:52 PM
pixelreaper
• •
p.163 #17 · p.163 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

The problem is that from what I am reading, the A7, even with on-chip PDAF comes no where near the AF-tracking perfomance of my 5DII, especially with the 70-200 2.8 II and the center AF point. Also the EM5 focuses much faster and much beter in low light / low contrast situations. I am finding the A7r really has issue in these conditions, often selecting higher contrast point behind the subject, even when the background is nowhere near the selected AF point...

nandadevieast wrote:
You can sell the EM-5 and lenses.
You can replace the A7r with A7 and do with it what you do with EM5 plus everything else.
This is what i will do if i had this gear.
If you want, you can replace the EM5 with a Sony RX100 for family pictures and candids.

Jan 16, 2014 at 06:04 PM
pixelreaper
• •
p.163 #18 · p.163 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Jeff,

You make a great first point. The only reason I am so in love with the A7r is the range of the Raw files compared to the 5DII. The extra resolution is nice to, of course, but I love how far I can push the A7r files in LR5 vs the 5DII. Also the size / weight difference is significant for travelling and hicking.

I forgot to mention that I too have the RX100, and while I do think it's great for its size, I just don't find myself using it much. I bought it for my wife but she really prefers the touchscreen of the E-M5. (I love the touch shutter for taking pics of the kids in tight/ akward quarters) I can't figure out why Sony does not put the touch screen in more of their cameras since they have the tech in-house (nex 5). People complain that touchscreens should not be on more Pro level cameras, but my take is you can always turn the touch function off.

Dimitri

Jeff Kott wrote:
Here's a couple thoughts on the previous two posts.

One thought is that if you have the Canon system for sports and landscape and the Oly system for everything else, you're covered and don't need anything else.

Second comment about the RX 100 is that I've been using one for over a year. The lens is really good at the widest focal length (28 equiv.), but speed and quality drops off rapidly at longer focal lengths. So I'm thinking about replacing my RX 100 with a Panny GM 1 (which I would use with a 20/1.7 pancake and the kit
...Show more

Jan 16, 2014 at 06:16 PM
bcaslis
• • •
p.163 #19 · p.163 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

pixelreaper wrote:
The problem is that from what I am reading, the A7, even with on-chip PDAF comes no where near the AF-tracking perfomance of my 5DII, especially with the 70-200 2.8 II and the center AF point. Also the EM5 focuses much faster and much beter in low light / low contrast situations. I am finding the A7r really has issue in these conditions, often selecting higher contrast point behind the subject, even when the background is nowhere near the selected AF point...

What focusing pattern are you using? I've found a big variation depending on how you use it with the A7. I never use zone or wide but experimented with them and found them useless in low-light. I normally use single point small, but that has problems in low light also. But single point medium works much better in lower light. So if you haven't I would experiment with the different modes.

Jan 16, 2014 at 06:22 PM
pixelreaper
• •
p.163 #20 · p.163 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

bcaclis,

That's a great suggestion. I have only used the single point Small. I will try out the medium size single point in low light and see if it fairs better. I am fairly happy with the AF speed on the A7r just not the accuracy / behavior in low light conditions.

bcaslis wrote:
What focusing pattern are you using? I've found a big variation depending on how you use it with the A7. I never use zone or wide but experimented with them and found them useless in low-light. I normally use single point small, but that has problems in low light also. But single point medium works much better in lower light. So if you haven't I would experiment with the different modes.

Jan 16, 2014 at 06:28 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password