Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              160      
       162              194       195       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

bcaslis
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.161 #1 · p.161 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

philip_pj wrote:
Long way to go before reaching DPR standards fortunately, and even then there are fantastic image threads here at FM, indicative of the talented individuals that frequent the forum. People have different opinions...which is much more informative than an echo chamber, right?

Speaking of DPR this mis-statement rang a bell:

'I think the a7r resolve more detail and has wilder lens option the the 645D and the d800'

Who can argue, a lot of lenses put on the a7r are certainly wild, lol.

What came up in this DPR thread from a user complaining the a7r did not match his Pentax 645D for
...Show more

I saw that thread. The problem with it was the user's contention that the A7r was "flawed" because Sony is using a lossy compressed algorithm that was causing "noise" and that Sony needed to fix this ASAP.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:20 PM
JaKo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.161 #2 · p.161 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

philip_pj wrote:
In a funny way, the a7r is 'back to the future' with a vengeance - not only is it reportedly scratchy regarding AF (I wouldn't know), it is also fabulously compatible for super quality, older manual focus lenses. I understand the FE 55 is easy enough to manually focus, good as that puts it higher up the desirability scale.

The usage of MF lenses also simplifies the user experience control and menu-wise, and is very enjoyable in a very hands on way. It is a real one percenter camera, cutting edge technology that works best with traditional lenses used traditionally,
...Show more

^^^ +1
For my needs Sony A7R was a natural transition from D800E. Is A7R perfect? Nope, but it can setup and worked on to be a fantastic piece of photo hardware.
Honestly, I almost returned it after first two days. Menu and default functions of some buttons drove me crazy. Címon, you touched it by holding or letting it swing on your neck and ISO, WB and other functions were changed instantly. At the end Sonyís highly customizable functions worked as intended; I removed all functions from the control wheel dial assigning ISO to C2, Shot Result Preview to C1, AF/MF button to Focus Magnifier, etc. All dials are locked now and all are very easily adjustable if needed.
The rest was easy. Sony RMT-DSLR2 Wireless Remote works for me much better than wired remote on D800E. All menu functions, 2sec., 10 sec., no delay shutter release, ISO, f/s, etc. can be changed without physically touching already set and focused camera, which is a big plus for me.
Last missing piece arrived on Friday. RRS plate for A7/R fits perfectly well. The plate nicely covers entire bottom part of a camera adding protection, extra rigidity, mass and, perhaps, contributes to reducing unwanted vibrations.

So, my setup is completed. AA-less A7R appears to be slightly sharper and definitely lighter than D800E, it works with most alt lenses and no more dusty mirror chambers or dust specs on pentaprism. My D800E found its new owner already.

PS.
Oh, shutter sound and vibrations! I actually do like the sound of its shutter and recent quick tests with Zeiss 2/100 ZF.2 + A7R mounted on RRS plate + Arca Swiss/Gitzo Systematic combo show no vibration at f/60 and f/100.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:26 PM
tsdevine
• • •
p.161 #3 · p.161 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Jako, what's the purpose of the little screw on the bottom of the plate. I got my RRS bracket on Saturday and I'm a little perplexed by it.

TIA,
Tim

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:33 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.161 #4 · p.161 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

tsdevine wrote:
Jako, what's the purpose of the little screw on the bottom of the plate. I got my RRS bracket on Saturday and I'm a little perplexed by it.

I think it's for fitting the other piece of the "L" if you want a full bracket for portrait position.

Jan 13, 2014 at 11:43 PM
DamonJoyce
• •
p.161 #5 · p.161 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

tsdevine wrote:

TIA,
Tim

It's a safety mechanism, to prevent the camera sliding out if the clamp isn't tightened all the way.

I assume there's not another on the other side because the L-bracket addition has a lip of some sort (I wouldn't know, I just went with the bottom plate).

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:06 AM
tsdevine
• • •
p.161 #6 · p.161 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

But it can't slide out since the grip is wider than the clamp.....and it's on the far end of the grip "cap".

Just another one of life's mysteries....

-Tim

DamonJoyce wrote:
It's a safety mechanism, to prevent the camera sliding out if the clamp isn't tightened all the way.

I assume there's not another on the other side because the L-bracket addition has a lip of some sort (I wouldn't know, I just went with the bottom plate).

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:47 AM
tsdevine
• • •
p.161 #7 · p.161 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

You mean a rail on both sides?? The L piece attaches to the other end.

Makten wrote:
I think it's for fitting the other piece of the "L" if you want a full bracket for portrait position.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:49 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.161 #8 · p.161 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

tsdevine wrote:
But it can't slide out since the grip is wider than the clamp.....and it's on the far end of the grip "cap".

Just another one of life's mysteries....

-Tim

You're right Tim! It supposed to function as a safety screw but it's useless it that place.
Perhaps it was cheaper to include screw and allen key kit rather than change and reprint manual?

Jan 14, 2014 at 01:08 AM
tsdevine
• • •
p.161 #9 · p.161 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

You're probably right :-)

Jan 14, 2014 at 01:14 AM
miklar
• •
p.161 #10 · p.161 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

JaKo wrote:
You're right Tim! It supposed to function as a safety screw but it's useless it that place.
Perhaps it was cheaper to include screw and allen key kit rather than change and reprint manual?

Let's put an end to this mystery.
Having received the L Plate set today (BA7-L Plate Set) I too am puzzled as to the purpose of this screw and mounting hole... There is no mention of it in the attached literature and this does not exist on any of my other camera L plates from RRS.
So, I sent an email to RRS which should solve this puzzle

Jan 14, 2014 at 02:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

philip_pj
• • • •
p.161 #11 · p.161 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Shooting RAW is often seen as a badge of honour for aspiring photographers, others realise that jpegs have their place in many pro workflows. Being able to produce high quality jpegs seems to be very important for many cameras that are used casually, such as some Fujis. It's nice to have in any camera.

Good research from several sources is accumulating that Sony has significantly improved their jpeg engine in the a7/r series. They now produce better jpegs OOC than Nikon manages with the D800/e series:

'At 400 ISO there's slight evidence of increased noise levels and colour shift on the D800e, which becomes more obvious at 800 ISO. At this point the A7r is definitely enjoying a superior result. At 1600 ISO and especially 3200 ISO the noise levels on the D800e become even more apparent, and at 6400 ISO there's a clear difference between the two cameras.'

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_A7r/Sony_A7r_vs_Nikon_D800e_noise.shtml

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/dslrmagazine-sony-a7r-vs-nikon-d800-and-a7-vs-leica-m-test-sony-has-the-best-jpg-results/#comments

Jan 14, 2014 at 08:50 PM
miklar
• •
p.161 #12 · p.161 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

miklar wrote:
Let's put an end to this mystery.
Having received the L Plate set today (BA7-L Plate Set) I too am puzzled as to the purpose of this screw and mounting hole... There is no mention of it in the attached literature and this does not exist on any of my other camera L plates from RRS.
So, I sent an email to RRS which should solve this puzzle

FWIW
The official response from RRS is as follows:

"That is the hole for the safety stop screw. You can simply disregard that screw hole if you are using the L-plate".

Jan 14, 2014 at 09:16 PM
amplexis
• •
p.161 #13 · p.161 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

FWIW
The official response from RRS is as follows:

"That is the hole for the safety stop screw. You can simply disregard that screw hole if you are using the L-plate".

but it's the 3/8" hole that i am curious about, what's that for?

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:07 PM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.161 #14 · p.161 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I have a quick question guys.
I just bought an A7 and I noticed that when I leave my finger on the shutter too long after it actuates, it will fire again even in Single AF mode. Is this normal?

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:25 PM
ocean2059
• • •
p.161 #15 · p.161 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

jaehoppa wrote:
I have a quick question guys.
I just bought an A7 and I noticed that when I leave my finger on the shutter too long after it actuates, it will fire again even in Single AF mode. Is this normal?

Jae, I have an A7r, and it didn't happen to mine. It functions normally as single AF.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:35 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.161 #16 · p.161 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

The shutter release has multiple states, near as I can tell.

1) Fully open
2) "Half-press" to engage metering and AF
3) Full-press / trigger the shutter
4) "Half-cocked" (release some pressure but not all the way in order to fire another shot using the same exposure and focus

Perhaps you are experiencing what I've just now dubbed as half-cocked.

I've even used the half-cocked state on purpose a few times. Then again I engage in half-cocked photography on a fairly regular basis.

I'm actually being serious about the half-cocked state; I believe it exists. Whether it's a feature or a bug may depend on point of view.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:36 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.161 #17 · p.161 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

haha. that is exactly right from my experience also, and we even have the expression: 'going off half-cocked'. It can catch you out, at times.

I only used the shutter button for two things - to release the shutter (doh) and to cancel image review fast. But I found a third the other day - when the camera sleeps, to wake it up faster.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:25 PM
davidbogdan
• •
p.161 #18 · p.161 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Fred Miranda wrote:
I have been using the slimmer Markins and the LCD can be swivel at all angles. It fits very nicely.
http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/LS-A7.php
Fred

With full access to usb and battery?
db

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:08 AM
jaehoppa
• • •
p.161 #19 · p.161 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

oops. i had continuous shot on. I confused it with AF-C. Brainfart lol. Thanks for the replies guys!

Jan 15, 2014 at 01:06 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.161 #20 · p.161 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

davidbogdan wrote:
With full access to usb and battery?
db

Yes full access to both.
However, it's not possible to use Sony's USB shutter remote in portrait orientation. The camera doors won't have enough clearance.. I am using an IR remote instead.
Fred

Jan 15, 2014 at 02:37 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password