Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              156      
       158              194       195       end

Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

darrellc
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.157 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Adorama had an open box A7R for $1576 earlier today. Unfortunately was gone by the time I got there, but might be worth monitoring them if you're in the market for one...

Jan 07, 2014 at 08:08 PM
theophilus
• • •
p.157 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

tsdevine wrote:
When did you order if you don't mind me asking?

TIA,
Tim

Mine shipped yesterday, I ordered December 14th.

edit for correct order date

Edited on Jan 07, 2014 at 08:44 PM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2014 at 08:08 PM
tsdevine
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.157 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Edit: There are gremlins in their new system, mine is shipping out today. I'm a happy camper.

I ordered mine 12/11 and have confirmed with RRS that it's not shipping as part of the first batch.

I'm a pretty big RRS fan, but I'm a bit ticked.

Congrats to those who have received shipment notification.

-Tim

Edited on Jan 07, 2014 at 08:46 PM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2014 at 08:28 PM
miklar
• •
p.157 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Taylor Sherman wrote:
I'm not sure zebra is accurate for highlight-clipping. I set it to "100%+" and I would see zebra in scenes where there were no blown highlights -- I'd see the zebra on highlights, take the shot, and then review it, no blown highlights. So, I turned zebra off.

First; the % settings are only for how much contrast the Zebra pattern is displayed.
Second; a Zebra pattern starts to display when a level of approximately 225 is reached when measured in Photoshop. As well even if only one of the three colors reach that level.
It's not perfect, but I find it useful, admittedly, had to get used to it first.
This and the histogram are function where Sony should make improvements.
cheers

Jan 07, 2014 at 08:30 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.157 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

The zebra is another 'useful to some people' feature which Sony adds to what they already do. The video shooters apparently like it. I find most of what stripes up is specular and since it likely runs off the in-camera jpeg settings and can get in the way of exposure setting, it's the histo for me plus Adobe recovery on (very) rare occasion.

The quality of the new 55mm FE reminded me that it is effectively an RX2 if you want to pair it exclusively with an a7.

Same sensor, same ergo, basic controls and body shape/size, can be a 'one lens only' for dust abatement, top of tree IQ, versatile broad spectrum lens of virtually same speed (portraits > landscape), same lens design approach (do everything well), similar AF and focus aids and EVF, even similar price.

Neither are system cameras ('yet' for a7), neither lens can be used on non-Sony cameras, these two are very interchangeable in usage, can use the same bag, same filter size. Focal lengths are highly complementary.

Optionally, get an a7r rather than a7 for turbo performance, the lens is up for it (as would be the RX1 Sonnar, next model maybe). I wonder what stop down ring works as a 'hood' for the FE55.

The system camera complaint is such a furphy. Does this 'fault' invalidate RX1 output in any way? Of course not.

I should add that weight is up ~300 grams (485g to 750g) and of course no leaf shutter. But still..

Edited on Jan 07, 2014 at 10:04 PM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2014 at 08:57 PM
itai195
• • •
p.157 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I learned a new word today: furphy

Regarding zebras vs histogram, aren't both based off the jpeg settings and not the raw data? They can both be flawed, they're just hints and not absolute guides.

Jan 07, 2014 at 09:18 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.157 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

sure sure, and sorry to lapse into aussie speak. You can deliberately set jpeg settings to get a different result, douglas13 said as much some time back, hope I did not verbal him. I just leave it as default but use 'neutral' ctreative setting, as it is easy on the eye. Ken Rockwell would use vivid if he could bring himself to use a Sony, I am sure.

So, if you want a conservative histo (or zebra as you say), you could dial down contrast and use 'neutral' in creative settings, plus -1 saturation maybe to stop individual channel clipping, this might prevent the histo from 'spreading' and causing non-authentic spurious clipping...same with zebra striping.

This will work much better in the a7/r than the older EVFs in Sonys as the contrast used in the new EVF is much higher and more 'lifelike'. As always systematic over-exposure is best dealt with by plus EC as a default. I shoot slow so do it on a frame by frame basis. Shadows recover much more satisfyingly than 'high' highlights in post RAWs, I feel.

Jan 07, 2014 at 09:34 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.157 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I'll try again.....

Quick question peeps. Can you adjust the amount of zoom during image playback when you press the C2 zoom button. Currently it zooms to 100% and then I have spend ages zooming back out to something sensible like 50% so I can review the area of the image I'm interested in. It's becoming quite an irritation.

Jan 07, 2014 at 09:36 PM
miklar
• •
p.157 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

philip_pj wrote:
sure sure, and sorry to lapse into aussie speak. You can deliberately set jpeg settings to get a different result, douglas13 said as much some time back, hope I did not verbal him. I just leave it as default but use 'neutral' ctreative setting, as it is easy on the eye. Ken Rockwell would use vivid if he could bring himself to use a Sony, I am sure.

So, if you want a conservative histo (or zebra as you say), you could dial down contrast and use 'neutral' in creative settings, plus -1 saturation maybe to stop individual channel clipping, this
...Show more

It took me a while to adopt Zebra (even if only at times) in live view. This started when I acquired my first pro video camera, and initially decided it to be a dated concept. That is until I ended up with seriously overexposed footage after which the Zebra setting has been turned on most of the time, but not always.
One of the initial settings on the video camera, which I still find useful, is that one can set a visible vertical bar to indicate when one should be aware that overexposure has been is about to be reached. However, this does not show color clipping, neither does the Zebra pattern. Some video camera monitors (mostly external monitors) show "RGB and Lumina parade" that indicate when clipping.
It'd be interesting to see if that could be incorporated for still shots instead of the "blinkies".

Jan 07, 2014 at 09:52 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.157 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

ct, I suspect not. It is irritating, we can hope for a menu item : Adjust Playback Magnification' or something similar. 100% in 36Mp is very small..

Someone else may find the answer, or provide a user hack of some kind. I just try to get it right in shoot mode, but yes that would be very handy, as would user specified focus mag in Shoot Mode, i.e. not just 7x and 14x.

Jan 07, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ct8282
• • • •
p.157 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

philip_pj wrote:
ct, I suspect not. It is irritating, we can hope for a menu item : Adjust Playback Magnification' or something similar. 100% in 36Mp is very small..

Someone else may find the answer, or provide a user hack of some kind. I just try to get it right in shoot mode, but yes that would be very handy, as would user specified focus mag in Shoot Mode, i.e. not just 7x and 14x.

Agreed. I'm finding 100% on the 36mp files damn irritating indeed.

Jan 07, 2014 at 10:27 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.157 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I'd filled out a customer satisfaction survey on my recent Sony Canada purchases and today got a follow up letter from the office of the President of Sony Canada suggesting that I could directly contact them with anything further I might wish to add which wasn't covered in the survey.

So I did.

I said I was delighted but also hoped Sony would make it a tradition to release periodic firmware updates for cameras like these to address issues discovered by and wants originating from the community. That action by Sony would deliver significant returns in customer satisfaction and brand loyalty. Just look at Fujifilm - the X100 was a seriously flawed camera but firmware updates and follow on generations have made them worthy of some respect.

Office_of_the_Presid AT sony DOT ca

Jan 07, 2014 at 11:01 PM
unravel
• •
p.157 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Bought A7 + 35mm FE + 55mm FE (because i couldnt resist buying it used in like new condition off BH for $850, UGH). So excited but must sell all my nikon stuff ASAP!

Jan 07, 2014 at 11:05 PM
Luvwine
• • •
p.157 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

tsdevine wrote:
When did you order if you don't mind me asking?

TIA,
Tim

I ordered on December 11.

Jan 08, 2014 at 01:00 AM
tsdevine
• • •
p.157 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Thanks, called RRS and there was a snafu with their new system. I had ordered mine on the 11th as well and it wasn't going to ship as part of the first batch, but they straightened things out and I have my tracking number as well. Love the RRS brackets...my camera feels naked without it.

-Tim

Luvwine wrote:
I ordered on December 11.

Jan 08, 2014 at 01:23 AM
miklar
• •
p.157 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

michaelwatkins wrote:
I'd filled out a customer satisfaction survey on my recent Sony Canada purchases and today got a follow up letter from the office of the President of Sony Canada suggesting that I could directly contact them with anything further I might wish to add which wasn't covered in the survey.

So I did.

I said I was delighted but also hoped Sony would make it a tradition to release periodic firmware updates for cameras like these to address issues discovered by and wants originating from the community. That action by Sony would deliver significant returns in customer satisfaction and brand loyalty. Just
...Show more

Great
Now you can be our conduit to get our messages across
Cheers

Jan 08, 2014 at 04:58 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.157 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I posted the email address in the hopes that at least other Canadian A7/r owners here will chime in too.

Jan 08, 2014 at 05:44 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.157 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

How is this? I'll keep an eye on this guy who has one for review.

and:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PSL-Sony-VarioTessar-T-FE-2470mm-F4-ZA-OSS-for-Emount-7-7R-NEW-EMS-FS-JPN-/151202009620

Jan 08, 2014 at 09:00 AM
artur5
• •
p.157 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

MODE RANT 'ON'
Probably I'm in minority here but, instead of a 24-70/4, I'd preferred a 35-105. For my kind of photos I haven't much use for the focal range below 35mm. and 70mm. is way too short for telephoto.
MODE RANT 'OFF'

Jan 08, 2014 at 11:16 AM
theophilus
• • •
p.157 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I hope the upcoming wide angle zoom is a 16-35/4 with OSS. If its more like a 14-24 I'll probably pass.

Tempted by the 24-70 but don't see how I'd use it with the 35 and 55 performance being so good.

Jan 08, 2014 at 03:34 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password