Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              150      
       152              188       189       end

Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.151 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Yep, except with C1, the default button for that. You can keep pressing C1 (and maybe C3 as well?) instead of switching to the OK button.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:46 PM
James Burden
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.151 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carstenw wrote:
Yep, except with C1, the default button for that. You can keep pressing C1 (and maybe C3 as well?) instead of switching to the OK button.

Perfect.....that is much better. Thank you Carsten

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:26 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.151 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I think that my RRS L bracket for my A7r shipped today.

Rich

Dec 31, 2013 at 02:59 AM
tsdevine
• • •
p.151 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Hmm...that would be before mine then I guess....I thought I had given you the heads up that the preorder was available (after I ordered.)

-Tim

naturephoto1 wrote:
I think that my RRS L bracket for my A7r shipped today.

Rich

Dec 31, 2013 at 03:41 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.151 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

tsdevine wrote:
Hmm...that would be before mine then I guess....I thought I had given you the heads up that the preorder was available (after I ordered.)

-Tim

Hi Tim,

I am not sure if it was shipped. I went to the RRS website. Everything for the website has changed since earlier today. I had trouble checking in and had to change my password. After that was changed, I went to my account and checked my account. When I checked my order it shows order date on 12/28/13 and indicates Pending Fullfilment. But when I click on the order # it shows Actual Ship Date of 12/30/13 via USPS Priority Mail. So I am not really totally sure if the L Bracket was actually shipped. A little confusing.

Rich

Dec 31, 2013 at 03:58 AM
tsdevine
• • •
p.151 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Rich,
I had sent them an email today and they said they should start shipping later this week. My status matches what you're seeing....so we are probably in the same boat (whatever boat that may be....)

-Tim

Dec 31, 2013 at 04:05 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.151 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I decided to give the A7 one last hurrah before I send it back, and try a different Nikon adapter since thats the main thing I have not liked about the camera (adapted lenses, my reason for trying it anyway).

I setup and noticed some pretty distinct internal reflections, even w/ the hood extended on my 'Cron 50-R. I test it with a Novoflex > Canon > NEX adapter and also with a Fotodiox Pro > NEX adapter, just because I could (I know, stacked adapters are a crapshoot). The Novoflex combo had less reflections, but the corners are not nearly as good.

Anyway, not sure if these are interesting results but it does show how much difference the adapter is making. I had to use a large piece of cardboard held on the side as a baffle to stop the internal flare.

These are at f/5.6, flare gets worse as it's stopped down. A7 sadly goes back today and we wait for the next version.

internal reflections

Dec 31, 2013 at 03:55 PM
nandadevieast
• •
p.151 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Anybody got their 24-70 FE ?

Dec 31, 2013 at 04:06 PM
kroyston
• •
p.151 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

So which L-brackets do you think you will receive? The one shown in the photo attached to the A7 with the grip extension, or the one on the product page without the extension?

Dec 31, 2013 at 04:06 PM
nandadevieast
• •
p.151 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Guys, is the flare/reflection thing that bad? Is it a deal breaker?

Dec 31, 2013 at 04:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kroyston
• •
p.151 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

nandadevieast wrote:

I have not had a problem nearly that bad with any lens/adapter combination. These include a couple Olympus OMs, a couple Contax Gs, a couple M mounts and native lenses. So I would say no, it is not a deal breaker.

Dec 31, 2013 at 04:18 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.151 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

nandadevieast wrote:

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but for me, I was quite shocked to see it this prominently in an ordinary setting. There is some light coming in a window of that room, but it does not hit the camera. It just hits that far wall a bit. The walls are an off white, so not especially bright.

Plus I have a low tolerance for feeling like I need to test, and this camera is just not making me super confident.

Maybe I just need a new living room.

ETA: I could potentially setup tomorrow @ the same time when light is similar and test my OM50 and Minolta 35-70 @50 for reflections if there is interest. It would kind of add info for different adapters/lenses? (Oh, and the native 28-70 plus perhaps the crop 50/1.8 E might be interesting).

Dec 31, 2013 at 04:21 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.151 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

mco_970 wrote:
A7 sadly goes back today and we wait for the next version.

I don't think the next version will be any different if it's the adapter that causes the reflections.

Dec 31, 2013 at 04:39 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.151 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Makten wrote:
I don't think the next version will be any different if it's the adapter that causes the reflections.

I wonder if installing a baffle on the back of the adapter, like the one on the native lenses, would solve the issue. Not sure if anyone has tried that?

Dec 31, 2013 at 04:42 PM
kroyston
• •
p.151 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

mco_970 wrote:
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but for me, I was quite shocked to see it this prominently in an ordinary setting. There is some light coming in a window of that room, but it does not hit the camera. It just hits that far wall a bit. The walls are an off white, so not especially bright.

That certainly doesn't look like a setting that should induce flare to that magnitude. Have you tried this same combination on the 5n?

I was anticipating trouble with the OMs, the 24 and non MC 135, but haven't had much trouble. One thing I do continue to see is the green halo around light sources within the frame, but I've had that same problem with other NEXs.

Dec 31, 2013 at 04:45 PM
secondclaw
• •
p.151 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Isn't it only on sale in February?

nandadevieast wrote:
Anybody got their 24-70 FE ?

Dec 31, 2013 at 04:48 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.151 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

mco_970 wrote:
I wonder if installing a baffle on the back of the adapter, like the one on the native lenses, would solve the issue. Not sure if anyone has tried that?

I have an FD-->Nex adapter with a baffle. I had to remove the baffle since it caused vignetting. Or maybe not vignetting - it cut the images inside the full frame. That baffle measures 18x24mm which obviously is too small but I don't know how it could have been made bigger, at least not for that certain adapter.

I got similar flare using the Elmarit-R 60/2.8 Macro with a bright light source outside of the frame. There was nothing wrong with the hood - it's inbuilt but pretty deep. I'll check a few more lenses with a little longer focal length.

I too have decided not to keep the A7. I can't send it back though, will just sell it to somebody. I'm not happy with the flare and the fact I don't find any 35mm lens making the A7 act even close to the RX1. The shutter release is awful. I like a lot with the camera including the EFC (which on my copy works fine with fast lenses and all the way to 1/8000 sec). But, in total I decide to keep the RX1 and get rid of the A7. I'm sure Sony will release an A8 and an A9 by time.

Dec 31, 2013 at 05:46 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.151 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Makten wrote:

mco_970 wrote:

Michelle,
Velour or some kind of flocking material on the inside baffle of the adapter does make a difference. Check this out: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1247661/93.

Dec 31, 2013 at 05:51 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.151 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

mco_970 wrote:

So far all the evidence points to a reflector somewhere between the lens and the sensor, for light from outside the field of view of the sensor but inside the field of view of the hood. The interior of the adapter is the main suspect. It has to compete with the mirror box of SLRs, whose design has seen a long evolution of measures to minimize reflections. I don't know what the baffle on the native lenses looks like, but it is clear that measures are needed to (further) reduce reflections from the adapter.

Dec 31, 2013 at 05:58 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.151 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

@Joshua - I thought about trying felt in the adapter, but the Fotodiox Pro looks like a pain to cover. Plus it seems like there might be felt bits on the sensor later? I didn't want to 'guinea pig' it.

@Kroyston - I have not bothered to specifically test this combo on 5N, but 5N generally doesn't ever annoy me. So no reason to pick on it. If I get motivated and have time tomorrow morning, I'll try it. I'd like to test out the adapter on 5N anyway, because I'll keep it if it's not implicitly problematic.

FWIW this is the 28-70 baffle. The rear element stays pretty far in throughout the zoom range. Opening is approx. 30mm x 22mm.

28-70 native mount

Dec 31, 2013 at 06:16 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password