Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              141      
       143              194       195       end

Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

secondclaw
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.142 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Taylor Sherman wrote:
I'm definitely feeling like I'm not going to buy any more Sony cameras until they fix this. It can totally ruin night photography.

Indeed - I have A7R and last few nights' photography was hell ... the most obvious flares were easy to spot in the viewfinder, but recomposing to hide the flares ruins careful framing. Worse, there are smaller flares that are hard to spot on a small screen. This sucks a bit, as the sensor's strength is DR, which is great for night shooting.
For the record, I only used Metabones3-adapted Canon lenses, since I don't have any FE glass ...

A7R is a few days away from likely being returned ...

Dec 22, 2013 at 03:28 AM
itai195
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.142 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Blimey wrote:
Lee Filter Seven5 is what I plan on using. I just ordered the 49mm adapter for the FE lense. It is an expensive setup but it will last you a long time even when you change camera/lense.

I use these and am a big fan. Very well made and easy to use/carry.

Dec 22, 2013 at 03:33 AM
miklar
• •
p.142 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

secondclaw wrote:
Indeed - I have A7R and last few nights' photography was hell ... the most obvious flares were easy to spot in the viewfinder, but recomposing to hide the flares ruins careful framing. Worse, there are smaller flares that are hard to spot on a small screen. This sucks a bit, as the sensor's strength is DR, which is great for night shooting.
For the record, I only used Metabones3-adapted Canon lenses, since I don't have any FE glass ...

A7R is a few days away from likely being returned ...

I've seen the images where the problem is apparent, but have yet to replicate it when using both the FE 35mm and FE 55mm.
That is not to say it doesn't exist with these lenses.
Cheers

Dec 22, 2013 at 03:40 PM
secondclaw
• •
p.142 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

miklar wrote:
I've seen the images where the problem is apparent, but have yet to replicate it when using both the FE 35mm and FE 55mm.
Cheers

Just for the hell of it, I mounted 50-500 'bigma' (Canon EF mount) to A7R. Aside from the fact that it was unusable at 500mm (shutter shock, which I expected) I tried to see if I get sensor flares. What was odd is at 50mm there weren't any, no matter what I tried, but at 500mm they started to get obvious again.

I've read some posts of sensor flaring with native lenses as well ...

Dec 22, 2013 at 04:04 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.142 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

miklar wrote:
Cheers

Miklar, it's sensor related issue. See photo #9 and others in this post:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248/20#11983941
And confirmed that it's sensor relevant shooting same stuff with Zeiss ZE-series 1.4/35, see photos named "Flare1", Flare2", Flare3", Flare4", Flare5", Flare6" and Flare7"
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248/31#11995357

More experienced Sony shooters have told to me that it's been similar already on NEX cameras.

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Don't know about the best, but I'm going to get 49mm polarizer because also FE55 uses this odd 49mm size.

I'll take my word back - I'm definitely not buying 49mm polarizer. It's too small to operate when lens barrel is so close and 58mm in diameter. I don't have 49mm polarizer but tried with some random filter and polarizer would be awkward to use:

I searched and finally found from box containing "random photography stuff I assume never going to be used"-stuff step up-ring from 49mm to 58mm. Then combine this to 58mm polarizer:

And result is very ergonomic and still very compact:

Total length of lens with step-up ring, polarizer filter and lens cap is exactly same as lens+sony hood+sony small lens cap:

I have decided to have special filters (e.g. ND, IR etc.) at size 67mm and 82mm. Polarizers I have in every diameter from 52mm to 82mm (minus some like 62mm where I don't have lenses). For example in order to shoot low shutter speed at daylight (e.g. water and cloud movement) I need to step-up to 67mm (or 82mm with lenses like Zeiss Distagon 1.4/35 or Zeiss APO-Sonnar 2/135), attach ND and polarizer - sounds complicated and large.

But it actually works quite well with FE33, in picture:
1. FE35
2. 49mm to 58mm step-up
3. 58mm to 67mm step-up
4. 400x ND filter
5. Polarizer

Additinal image from rear to demonstrate larger diameter filters than lens:

I hope 49mm to 58mm step-up ring fits also to FE55.

Samuli

Edited on Dec 22, 2013 at 06:29 PM · View previous versions

Dec 22, 2013 at 04:41 PM
secondclaw
• •
p.142 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Miklar, it's sensor related issue. See photo #9 and others in this post:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248/20#11983941
And confirmed that it's sensor relevant shooting same stuff with Zeiss ZE-series 1.4/35, see photos named "Flare1", Flare2", Flare3", Flare4", Flare5", Flare6" and Flare7"
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248/31#11995357

More experienced Sony shooters have told to me that it's been similar already on NEX cameras.
Samuli

I have see the ghosting on Nex-7 (your #9-10) with RF lenses, and it doesn't bother me as much, however what bothers me more is I have bizarre edge flares as in your #11. I do a lot of night time photography and unless I'm super careful, these long drawn flares show up. This kind of artifact I have not seen on Nex-7, and I've now repeatedly tried to replicate it under identical conditions. It's possible APS-C sensor is not wide enough to induce this type of edge glare.

its this stuff, on top right, the bright orange flare from a light just outside the frame, is something I have never seen on Nex-7 and I shot plenty of night scenes with it.

My concern was I am being unfair to A7/R since I'm testing it with non-native glass. For excellent IQ that I get out of the camera, I'd rather buy native if it eliminates the flares. Sadly it seems it does not.
I have until end of January to return the camera, but I am not sure what else I try, if the flare is related to sensor topping.

Dec 22, 2013 at 05:09 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.142 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli, Did you shoot your confirming sensor flair problem shots with these filters on your lens?

Dec 22, 2013 at 05:13 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.142 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

secondclaw wrote:
its this stuff, on top right, the bright orange flare from a light just outside the frame, is something I have never seen on Nex-7 and I shot plenty of night scenes with it.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-TyxteRilPDI/UrXD8FJDgwI/AAAAAAAADq4/CeFmsNtdmlY/w600-h391-no/_DSC0554.jpg
My concern was I am being unfair to A7/R since I'm testing it with non-native glass. For excellent IQ that I get out of the camera, I'd rather buy native if it eliminates the flares. Sadly it seems it does not.
I have until end of January to return the camera, but I am not sure what else I try, if the flare is related to sensor
...Show more

that looks like lens dependent flare to me. i've see lots of lenses that would do that independent of the sensor while other lenses of the same focal length wouldn't when used on the same sensor. it's flare that is very close in the image to a light source that is included in the frame that looks to be due to sensor/cover reflections.

Dec 22, 2013 at 05:15 PM
Alan Ness
• • •
p.142 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Is there a wireless remote that is compatible with the A7/A7r?

Dec 22, 2013 at 05:57 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.142 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Alan Ness wrote:
Is there a wireless remote that is compatible with the A7/A7r?

Alan,

See this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/916138-REG/sony_rmtdslr2_wireless_remote_commander.html

Rich

Dec 22, 2013 at 06:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dennishh
• • •
p.142 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Here's a cheaper one that works very well so far. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042UC5BG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dec 22, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.142 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

If you want just shutter and 2-sec delay in a very small remote, I can confirm that this one works great:
http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-RC-3-Wireless-RMT-DSLR1-Replacement/dp/B003MQWN40/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1387736660&sr=8-4&keywords=IR+Wireless+Remote+Control+for+SONY

You must turn Remote "On" on the camera. The default is "Off".

Dec 22, 2013 at 06:25 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.142 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

dennishh wrote:
Samuli, Did you shoot your confirming sensor flair problem shots with these filters on your lens?

dennishh, no filters, just bare lenses. The FE35 hood is VERY good, it's so accurate that I could not shade streetlamp, just barely outside frame, with hand without showing my hand/finger in photo, and I tried tens of times. Would be sad to waste such good hood for using filter.

I never use any filter absolute necessary e.g. I don't even own anything else than polarizer, ND, IR etc. filters which have some effect (of course I have pile of sky/clear/etc. filters, which came with used lens but I don't use them). From my photos you can always trust they are shoot without filter OR I indicate in text of photo filename what filter is used. However I have to admit, that there are few times (<10 hopefully of thousands of photos) that I have forgot to mention the polarizer usage in FM, but I try my best to mention all technical detail.

Samuli

Dec 22, 2013 at 06:27 PM
Alan Ness
• • •
p.142 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Rich
I asked Cameta Camera about the Sony RMT-DSLR2, as they had this listed on Ebay, they said it is not compatible with the A7/A7r.

Does the Nex 7 have the same hot shoe as the A7/A7r? I see several listed that indicate compatibility for a Nex 7, like the one dennishh referenced.

Dec 22, 2013 at 06:31 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.142 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Alan Ness wrote:
Rich
I asked Cameta Camera about the Sony RMT-DSLR2, as they had this listed on Ebay, they said it is not compatible with the A7/A7r.

Does the Nex 7 have the same hot shoe as the A7/A7r? I see several listed that indicate compatibility for a Nex 7, like the one dennishh referenced.

Alan,

That has me confused then. It is shown in the Sony brochure for the A7 and A7r for the cameras.

It is listed here:

http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/Sony_RMT_DSLR2_Camera_remote_control/RMTDSLR2/11779066/

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Sony-RMT-DSLR2-camera-remote-control/2903714.aspx

Rich

Dec 22, 2013 at 06:41 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.142 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
dennishh, no filters, just bare lenses. The FE35 hood is VERY good, it's so accurate that I could not shade streetlamp, just barely outside frame, with hand without showing my hand/finger in photo, and I tried tens of times. Would be sad to waste such good hood for using filter.

I never use any filter absolute necessary e.g. I don't even own anything else than polarizer, ND, IR etc. filters which have some effect (of course I have pile of sky/clear/etc. filters, which came with used lens but I don't use them). From my photos you can always trust they
...Show more

Thank's, I'm just trying to eliminate any possible causes. I will try to do a similar environment to yours and see if I can reproduce the highlight flares you're getting. After looking through all of the images on the A7r images thread I don't see many examples that show your results. I did shoot some secular highlight images of the lights on my Christmas tree and compared them directly to my D800e. There seem to be some exaggeration of highlights and staring affect by the A7r, some of the results could have been from no anti aliasing filter on the A7r.
Dennis

Dec 22, 2013 at 07:01 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.142 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

dennishh wrote:
Thank's, I'm just trying to eliminate any possible causes. I will try to do a similar environment to yours and see if I can reproduce the highlight flares you're getting. After looking through all of the images on the A7r images thread I don't see many examples that show your results. I did shoot some secular highlight images of the lights on my Christmas tree and compared them directly to my D800e. There seem to be some exaggeration of highlights and staring affect by the A7r, some of the results could have been from no anti aliasing filter on the
...Show more
Now that you mention, I think all who have confirmed the "weird local flare" or as Carsten said "coma from hell" issue do have A7. Thanks for testing with A7r, looking forward for results. Selection matrix between A7 and A7r may get more complicated

Samuli

Dec 22, 2013 at 07:05 PM
ebrandon
• • •
p.142 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I'll take my word back - I'm definitely not buying 49mm polarizer. It's too small to operate when lens barrel is so close and 58mm in diameter. I don't have 49mm polarizer but tried with some random filter and polarizer would be awkward to use:
http://www.vahonen.com/2013/A7temp/FE35_pol_A_with_49mm_filter.jpg

I searched and finally found from box containing "random photography stuff I assume never going to be used"-stuff step up-ring from 49mm to 58mm. Then combine this to 58mm polarizer:
http://www.vahonen.com/2013/A7temp/FE35_pol_B_just_49-58mm_stepup_and_pol.jpg

And result is very ergonomic and still very compact:
http://www.vahonen.com/2013/A7temp/FE35_pol_C_with_49-58mm_stepups_and_pol.jpg

Total length of lens with step-up ring, polarizer filter and lens cap is exactly same as lens+sony hood+sony small lens
...Show more

Thank you for sharing your setup, complete with pictures to illustrate! Very helpful.

Dec 22, 2013 at 07:14 PM
secondclaw
• •
p.142 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Alan Ness wrote:
Rich

I'm using it now on A7R, it works perfectly fine. Originally bought and used on Nex-7.

Dec 22, 2013 at 07:32 PM
Alan Ness
• • •
p.142 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Thanks, I'll order the Sony RMT-DSLR2. Appears I didn't get the straight scoop from Cameta.

Alan

Dec 22, 2013 at 07:35 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password