Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              128      
       130              194       195       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

itai195
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.129 #1 · p.129 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

charles.K wrote:
In speaking with the technical rep, he also mentioned a number of people having issues with the dimly lit EVF when shooting outside. Hopefully this is only a firmware fix?

I haven't noticed it behaving any worse than other EVFs I've used. You're not stopping down your lens by any chance?

Dec 13, 2013 at 02:35 AM
miklar
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.129 #2 · p.129 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

jojomon11 wrote:
So for you new owners of the A7, how is the battery life, esp. when using LV?

Do you carry a spare with you for daily jaunts?

I never listen to the mfg. info on battery life, it tends to be very very conservative

Thanks!

Phil

Absolutely, never leave home without an extra battery in the bag
However, haven't run out of battery power on any of the outings so far. Maximum shots on one day on one battery - 376.

Edited on Dec 13, 2013 at 02:53 AM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2013 at 02:48 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.129 #3 · p.129 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Tariq Gibran wrote:
It's an EVF thing - they suck in bright dayligt overall but really fail miserably in backlit situations. If it were dimmer than other EVF's, we would certainly have heard about it by now. The folks being surprised by this are probably first time EVF users.

Thank you Tariq You are right backlit at the beach, or evening landscape, it is very dark, even at manual +2, and settings OFF. I tried two A7r's, as I have mentioned before the Oly VF2 on the M240 is much brighter. In fact it seems to compensate for this lighting so the detail can be seen. So I don't think it just EVF, as the later versions seem to be much better now.

Dec 13, 2013 at 02:48 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.129 #4 · p.129 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

itai195 wrote:
I haven't noticed it behaving any worse than other EVFs I've used. You're not stopping down your lens by any chance?

As I mentioned to Tariq, the VF2 is much brighter and detailed, in this lighting with no adjustment to settings on the M240. The image is slightly low res, but it is easy to focus on the composition. Yes, it does get worse when you stop down to f/4 to f/5.6. It is hard to set a lens on f/2.0, focus/compose, and then readjust the f stop to f/5.6 or 8.

I think the EVF is amazing when you inside, night time, or have no backlit situations though. I enjoy doing a lot of evening beach scenes, but I now just use the LV display set on bright sunlight, where the EVF is too dark.

Dec 13, 2013 at 02:54 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.129 #5 · p.129 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

charles.K wrote:
Thank you Tariq You are right backlit at the beach, or evening landscape, it is very dark, even at manual +2, and settings OFF. I tried two A7r's, as I have mentioned before the Oly VF2 on the M240 is much brighter. In fact it seems to compensate for this lighting so the detail can be seen. So I don't think it just EVF, as the later versions seem to be much better now.

That's impressive if the Olympus EVF's can handle that situation. I have only looked through Sony EVF's (oh, and Fuji).

Dec 13, 2013 at 02:56 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.129 #6 · p.129 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

charles.K wrote:
I enjoy doing a lot of evening beach scenes

Oh sure, flaunt your season!

It could be that all of us in the frozen or soggy northern hemisphere that claim we have no problems are simply messing with you because you and your images are rubbing our noses in your currently lovely weather and geography.

Dec 13, 2013 at 03:02 AM
nandadevieast
• •
p.129 #7 · p.129 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

KR has a review up, of A7. Highlight of the review is the following para:

"Forget the tweakers' A7r. It has poorer autofocus and its bloated files clog professional workflow. The 24MP of the A7 is more than enough for anything; I just sold a 4 MP image to McDonalds, for instance. They cropped it — for use on a billboard!"

I love this guy.

Dec 13, 2013 at 09:19 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.129 #8 · p.129 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Well this will explain why the new RRS L bracket for the A7 and A7r is so expensive at $175; it also solves the problem that Samuli had regarding the straight mini USB remote cable release connection interfering with the usage of an L bracket:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BA7-L-Set&type=3&eq=&desc=BA7-L-Set%3a-Includes-Base-%2b-L-component&key=it

Rich

Dec 13, 2013 at 01:04 PM
Luvwine
• • •
p.129 #9 · p.129 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Looks like a really tight fit for the remote release....

Dec 13, 2013 at 02:12 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.129 #10 · p.129 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

michaelwatkins wrote:
Oh sure, flaunt your season!

It could be that all of us in the frozen or soggy northern hemisphere that claim we have no problems are simply messing with you because you and your images are rubbing our noses in your currently lovely weather and geography.

Reminds me of a Daniel Tosh joke. "People in the Midwest say they could never live in LA because they love seasons. We love seasons too, that's why we skip the shitty ones"

Dec 13, 2013 at 02:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

morpheus2891
• • •
p.129 #11 · p.129 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

So they kinda copied Jim Buchanan's PalmGrip concept and included a tool-less bolt and that warrants $175? I believe Jim sells his NEX palm grip L-models for $130. He already said he's working on an A7(R) version so I might just wait for that. $175 is a little ridiculous and I can't say that I'm in love with their "solution" to the USB connection problem.

naturephoto1 wrote:
Well this will explain why the new RRS L bracket for the A7 and A7r is so expensive at $175; it also solves the problem that Samuli had regarding the straight mini USB remote cable release connection interfering with the usage of an L bracket:

Rich

Dec 13, 2013 at 02:58 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.129 #12 · p.129 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

miklar wrote:
Absolutely, never leave home without an extra battery in the bag
However, haven't run out of battery power on any of the outings so far. Maximum shots on one day on one battery - 376.

Thanks miklar! Thats what I was after

Thanks again

Phil

Dec 13, 2013 at 03:07 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.129 #13 · p.129 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

morpheus2891 wrote:
So they kinda copied Jim Buchanan's PalmGrip concept and included a tool-less bolt and that warrants $175? I believe Jim sells his NEX palm grip L-models for $130. He already said he's working on an A7(R) version so I might just wait for that. $175 is a little ridiculous and I can't say that I'm in love with their "solution" to the USB connection problem.

Sorry, the RRS L bracket system is much more complicated to use than the Jim Buchanan L bracket and palm grip for the NEX ($139). It entails the ability to slide the bottom plate that allows the L to lengthen for the usage of the a7 and A7r doors and the usage of the cables. I think that this is a relatively elegant solution. Also, RRS sells their L bracket for the NEX 6 and NEX 7 for $120.

Rich

Dec 13, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.129 #14 · p.129 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

naturephoto1 wrote:

Damn, I have to cancel dx.com order for the 3EUR IR-remote

2x175USD + freight + customs and VAT on top of all above... A7 looked really cheap, but each camera needs close to 1000USD accesories. But I think I anyway will get 2nd one. It will be quite nice to have 2x A7 with 28mm & ~50mm and 5DmkII with 2/135 in the backbag - most likely I don't need to carry any extra lenses, maybe 21mm sometimes or macro.

Samuli

Dec 13, 2013 at 03:45 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.129 #15 · p.129 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I just started testing my A7R in the studio for some product shots and thought I would pass on some of the things I've found. Previous to this I have been using a Nikon D800e. The A7R is a pleasure to use in the studio because of the ability to do high magnification focusing and the tiltable screen. I have been dying to try the remote camera control which was not a disappointment except for no live view on PC. Here's a link to the software download http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=ILCE7R&template_id=1®ion_id=1&tab=howto#/howtoTab I used a 10 foot USB cable to connect the camera to my laptop. You need to set up the USB to PC remote in the menu. It is found at.... toolbox/4/USB connection/PC remote. Turn the camera on and then start remote camera control. I found that I had to focus from remote camera control and then do the camera release. I set up the directory to be the watched folder for lightroom and then set up my auto import settings. The files were transferred rapidly to the laptop and opened in light room without a problem. Just for the fun of it I thought I would try attaching on HDMI cable to the A7R and then to my monitor amazingly it worked. So now I have one of my monitors in the studio with light room and remote capture and the other one was a continuous hi res HDMI that eliminates the need for live view and doesn't interfere with the ability to capture. The cable I used was one that I bought for attaching my Nexus 10 tablet to my TV, this isn't the cable I have but this one will work http://www.dcables.net/store/shopcart.aspx. Overall the studio experience so far with the A7r is superior to that of the D800e for me.

Dec 13, 2013 at 04:16 PM
miklar
• •
p.129 #16 · p.129 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Dennis
Thanks for your input, I've been playing with Atomos' Samurai Blade and Connect as a monitor, but hadn't thought of using Sony's Remote Camera Control for stills. That's certainly going to be my next test.
BTW, the link was difficult to extract from you text, so here it is again:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=ILCE7R&template_id=1®ion_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab
Cheers
Michael

Dec 13, 2013 at 04:54 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.129 #17 · p.129 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Useless but interesting tidbit:

Memory cards to not require formatting between my A7, A7r, and NEX-6. Furthermore, all three (most impressively in the case of the NEX-6, being older) can display each others' images in Playback mode - though they can't magnify them.

Sony seems to be keeping the ARW specification roughly 80 billion times more consistent than Nikon keeps NEF. A wise move.

Dec 14, 2013 at 01:53 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.129 #18 · p.129 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Lee, same with RX1 files. Not useless but valuable for multiple camera users like me where cards may be swapped. Sony have worked hard on compatibility in many areas.

Everyone is fussy with bags. I am a minimalist by necessity of travel and just need compact and strong. I have one of these Lowepro bags, deep enough to take the a7r plus 35-70/3.4 CY or 21/2.8 CY, camera facing down:

http://store.lowepro.com/apex-120-aw

'each camera needs close to 1000USD accesories'

not mine, nor those of 99% of users of this obviously handhold dominant camera.
Vivek at getpdpi/sony makes a good point - the body does not have the tripod socket embedded in a large frame, like a full size DSLR.

People are trying to do too much with the camera, way beyond its design parameters, and blaming it and not themselves when it comes up short on their very often unrealistic expectations. caveat emptor!

Dec 14, 2013 at 02:15 AM
turnstyle
• •
p.129 #19 · p.129 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Lee Saxon wrote:
Useless but interesting tidbit:

Memory cards to not require formatting between my A7, A7r, and NEX-6. Furthermore, all three (most impressively in the case of the NEX-6, being older) can display each others' images in Playback mode - though they can't magnify them.

Sony seems to be keeping the ARW specification roughly 80 billion times more consistent than Nikon keeps NEF. A wise move.

On the subject of SD cards, does anybody happen to know the max theoretical performance of the SD slot in the A7/A7r? Will I notice anything from the new super fast cards?

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.129 #20 · p.129 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

philip_pj wrote:
'each camera needs close to 1000USD accesories'

not mine, nor those of 99% of users of this obviously handhold dominant camera.
Vivek at getpdpi/sony makes a good point - the body does not have the tripod socket embedded in a large frame, like a full size DSLR.

People are trying to do too much with the camera, way beyond its design parameters, and blaming it and not themselves when it comes up short on their very often unrealistic expectations. caveat emptor!

Yes, it's sad that 99% of human kind are not able to take maximum out from their equipment or themselves

Sounds like fanboys at work if saying accessories are needed for camera is categorized as "blaming". Also it should be obvious, at least for everyone with brains, that other cameras need accessories as well in similar use. For example I have L-bracket for all of my 5DmkII bodies as well as 4 spare batteries for each body etc.

Please remember that outside Australia no-one received free Metabones adapters with their A7. If we thing your 99% of population; what you think would they like to have automatic aperture? Or does your 99% guys go to eBay and buy Contax etc. old lenses, yeah sure... Maybe those 99% guys are happy to selection of 2 lenses.

Other topic: I shoot today 1/4000s and 1/8000s images with and without electronic first curtain to get understanding WHY some people claim that mechanical first curtain shutter is needed at high shutter speeds. I look at the images and can't find difference. What I should be looking for? Or is it's myth/BS that electronical first shutter causes image quality issues at fastest shutter speeds.

Samuli

EDIT: Austria -> Australia

Edited on Dec 14, 2013 at 02:13 PM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2013 at 01:38 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password