Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              123      
124
       125              194       195       end
  

Archive 2013 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless
  
 
itai195
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.124 #1 · p.124 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Samuli Vahonen wrote:
How it works? Do you need another tripod for remote, or can you put it to ground if your tripod is in 1.8 meters? How reliable it is, e.g. 20 minute bulb exposure can it be trusted?

Samuli


You attach a receiver via cable to the camera and then you can place the receiver in the camera's hotshoe or wrap the cable around your tripod. The remote part can stay with you in your tent/car. I've never had any issue with mine, but my most extreme use of it is generally shooting ~5 minute exposures for a couple of hours while sitting in my car 10-20 feet away. I'd imagine it would work fine for a 20 minute exposure, but I haven't tried that.

The only time I've had a problem with it was once when my D800 hit some sort of battery issue and powered down halfway through shooting a couple hours of exposures, even though the battery was still charged. I don't think I could blame the remote for that, and it only happened once.



Dec 09, 2013 at 07:40 PM
wkhc168
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.124 #2 · p.124 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Samuli Vahonen wrote:
It seems that Sony is guaranteed to provide ergonomics / usability disaster behind every corner...

Received today Sony RM-VPR1, currently ONLY wired remote available to the camera. Many eBay sellers claim their stuff to be suitable with A7, but if you look at images their remotes have old Minolta connector, not the Multiconnector. Well, I guess it's like this with unpopular small brands (Sony is really small on camera business compared to Canikon).

The device itself weights just few grams and feels very cheap. If this would be Phottix or other China "brand" this would cost 10USD.

The cable is separate
...Show more

I got a wireless one..... works great.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/916138-REG/sony_rmtdslr2_wireless_remote_commander.html



Dec 09, 2013 at 07:57 PM
Samuli Vahonen
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.124 #3 · p.124 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


sebboh wrote:
why can't you use the IR remote for long bulb exposures?

Because I can't stand next to camera for hours holding the IR-remote control and because it's too great risk that I drop my hand for seconds and exposure stops too early.

Also small devices with batteries and -20C usually don't go well together. If camera battery don't die (enabling remote control = IR sensor can be turned off to consume power) then the damn remote dies.


itai195 wrote:
You attach a receiver via cable to the camera and then you can place the receiver in the camera's hotshoe or wrap the cable around your tripod. The remote part can stay with you in your tent/car. I've never had any issue with mine, but my most extreme use of it is generally shooting ~5 minute exposures for a couple of hours while sitting in my car 10-20 feet away. I'd imagine it would work fine for a 20 minute exposure, but I haven't tried that.

The only time I've had a problem with it was once when my D800
...Show more
Ah ok, you meaned it's wireless using radio waves. I was thinking they have IR-version. Radio wave stuff in these days is quite ok. However I don't think it fits Sony multiconnector, but the Sony's which have the old Minolta plug. Please let me know if it has Sony multiconnector.

Samuli



Dec 09, 2013 at 08:03 PM
itai195
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.124 #4 · p.124 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Yes, it's RF. I'll report back tonight. It came with a bunch of cables with different connectors, and I had intended to try it over the weekend but simply forgot.


Dec 09, 2013 at 08:05 PM
Samuli Vahonen
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.124 #5 · p.124 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Forgot to add: IR devices don't work that well in sunlight. Next summer I plan to use ND-filters to take 1-4 minute exposures in daylight to show the movement of clouds and blur the waters. I doubt the IR controller works 100% reliable in full sunlight - it might, but I have only the opposite experience.

Now I test the multiple minute exposure somebody requested ~10 pages ago, just need to find the post first...

Samuli



Dec 09, 2013 at 08:09 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.124 #6 · p.124 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Because I can't stand next to camera for hours holding the IR-remote control and because it's too great risk that I drop my hand for seconds and exposure stops too early.

Also small devices with batteries and -20C usually don't go well together. If camera battery don't die (enabling remote control = IR sensor can be turned off to consume power) then the damn remote dies.


you just have to hit the button once, go do something else, come back and hit the button again at the appropriate time. at least that's how it works on all the NEX cameras with my $5 ebay remote. also, just take the battery out of the remote when you're not using it.

edit: within 20 ft of the camera i've never had trouble with IR remote in daylight.






Dec 09, 2013 at 08:17 PM
Samuli Vahonen
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.124 #7 · p.124 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


sebboh wrote:
you just have to hit the button once, go do something else, come back and hit the button again at the appropriate time. at least that's how it works on all the NEX cameras with my $5 ebay remote. also, just take the battery out of the remote when you're not using it.

edit: within 20 ft of the camera i've never had trouble with IR remote in daylight.

Ah ok - I assumed that the IR-beam must be "connected" during whole bulb exposure. This is great news, I order few different eBay remotes to get one working


I can't find request by someone about long exposure noise (too many threads here and too much traffic). It was requested by someone and there was something about shooting in dark room at room temperature - can anybody remember that post? I remember that faintly, but could not execute test because I didnt' at the time have possibility to shoot bulb. I tried to find the post but didn't find it.

Samuli



Dec 09, 2013 at 08:22 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.124 #8 · p.124 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Ah ok - I assumed that the IR-beam must be "connected" during whole bulb exposure. This is great news, I order few different eBay remotes to get one working

Samuli


i had made that same assumption too based on how bulb worked on sony cameras with no remote option, but they seem to work sensibly with an IR remote.




Dec 09, 2013 at 08:37 PM
wfrank
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.124 #9 · p.124 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Forgot to add: IR devices don't work that well in sunlight. Next summer I plan to use ND-filters to take 1-4 minute exposures in daylight to show the movement of clouds and blur the waters. I doubt the IR controller works 100% reliable in full sunlight - it might, but I have only the opposite experience.

Now I test the multiple minute exposure somebody requested ~10 pages ago, just need to find the post first...

Samuli


Maybe, but just maybe, Sony will launch some semi-advanced apps for things like this. Current range of apps is hopefully just a dismal beginning. In theory there should be ample opportunities for SW like Magic Lantern for the 5D2 et.al. I guess we'll know early next year.

And who knows what would happen if they choose to open an API for external developers.



Dec 09, 2013 at 09:19 PM
itai195
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.124 #10 · p.124 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


I think they did open up their API for third party developers, though they list it as "beta" and I don't know how much functionality this API actually exposes... http://camera.developer.sony.com


Dec 09, 2013 at 09:21 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Samuli Vahonen
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.124 #11 · p.124 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Hmmm, I'll have to check that API at some point, if it allows access to needed functionality it should not be too difficult to code the "App" for the camera. However knowing it's Sony it's usually as annoying for developers as shooting their cameras


Tested the noise for long exposure as someone requested on this or some other thread. As I could not find the post where it was requested this may not have done the same way as requested.

Conditions were
- about 21C
- at end of the room there was 20w lightbulb equivalent energy saving lamp illuminating wall and ceiling
- strange color cast at back of computer: blue is from my CF-card reader, orange from extension cable on/off-switch
- dark frame substraction was turned "ON" on camera
- RAWs processed in Iridient Developer
--- exposure +0.33
--- WB 3400K and +18
--- lens correction: CA ON, vignetting ON, distortion OFF

Photos from left to right:
1. ISO 100, 1min (bulb), f/2.8
2. ISO 100, 4min (bulb), f/5.6
3. ISO 400, 30s (M-mode) f/4
4. ISO 1600, 30s (M-mode) f/8



Seems that 4min exposure was softer than 1min. Interesting, this requires some further testing.

Samuli

Edited on Dec 09, 2013 at 10:01 PM · View previous versions



Dec 09, 2013 at 09:57 PM
sflxn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.124 #12 · p.124 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Hey, can anyone point me to the good manuals? It was deep in this thread a few days back. I finally received my camera after 9 days standard shipping from B&H and I am playing with the wireless features but the manual from the sony store suck big time. Searching on FM for the word manuals brings up nothing of consequence.

BTW, we really need a search within thread feature.



Dec 09, 2013 at 09:58 PM
sflxn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.124 #13 · p.124 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Nevermind about the manuals. Through trial and error, I figured it out.


Dec 09, 2013 at 10:29 PM
wfrank
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.124 #14 · p.124 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Check the A7/r setup thread anyway. There's a link to a much better manual.


Dec 09, 2013 at 10:39 PM
KevinNY
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.124 #15 · p.124 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


https://docs.sony.com/release/ILCE-7_7R_guide_EN.pdf

400 page manual from sony-downloadable



Dec 09, 2013 at 10:43 PM
carstenw
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.124 #16 · p.124 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


sflxn wrote:
Hey, can anyone point me to the good manuals? It was deep in this thread a few days back. I finally received my camera after 9 days standard shipping from B&H and I am playing with the wireless features but the manual from the sony store suck big time. Searching on FM for the word manuals brings up nothing of consequence.

BTW, we really need a search within thread feature.


The FM search function has never been that good. Maybe one day. Meanwhile, Google like this:

site:fredmiranda.com Sony A7 better manual

I see that you figured it out, but just in case, there have been some discussions about the wireless features in the Setup thread mentioned already.



Dec 09, 2013 at 10:52 PM
itai195
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.124 #17 · p.124 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Out of curiosity, does anyone have the vertical battery grip? Any impressions?


Dec 10, 2013 at 09:50 PM
philip_pj
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.124 #18 · p.124 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Thom Hogan shows just how outdated his thinking is in the new age:

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/why-the-sony-a7-doesnt.html

Thinly disguised meme: you can't trust Sony like Canon and Nikon, lol. It's just a temporary win, guys! Geez, this camera has 'hurt' some people...



Dec 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Jeff Kott
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.124 #19 · p.124 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Yep, according to Thom, the A7/A7r is just a temporary win.

Who cares and WTF? It's the camera I want to use NOW. Everything is just a temporary win. Has anyone ever come out with a product that was so strong that its features can't be imitated or improved upon? Thom loves Apple, but even the iPhone was a temporary win and a lot of people now prefer their Samsung Galaxy 4s or HTC Ones to the latest iPhone.

He also implies that he knows better than the crowds buying A7/A7rs. Sorry Thom, I've done a lot of research and the A7r is the best camera for ME now. I'm not saying in two years there won't be a better camera for me, but for now this is it.

And yes Thom, the EM-1 is a great camera with nice features, nice lenses and great AF. But at this point in time for a lot of people who really care about IQ, why buy such a large camera with such a small sensor?



Dec 10, 2013 at 11:17 PM
michaelwatkins
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.124 #20 · p.124 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Old article.

While reading his commentary on "temporary wins" I was remembering that I know several photographers who have bought D800's on the used market lately, all from other photographers that are adopting the A7r and either abandoning Nikon bodies entirely or are dumping secondary bodies in favour of the Sony because it gives them 36MP output, improved by a better live view / manual focusing experience.





Dec 10, 2013 at 11:23 PM
1       2       3              123      
124
       125              194       195       end




FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              123      
124
       125              194       195       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password