Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              122      
       124              194       195       end

Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.123 #1 · p.123 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Yes, I use it handheld, but not all the time. I wish there were 3 programmable modes, not 2. I would like to have two different handheld settings and one tripod setting.

Dec 08, 2013 at 05:25 PM
KevinNY

p.123 #2 · p.123 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

BTW just discovered that FORMAT SD card command will not work if battery is low, even if monitor is still working. Swapped a new battery in and it became available again.

Dec 08, 2013 at 06:12 PM
itai195
• • •
p.123 #3 · p.123 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Does anyone else's A7 seem to consistently underexpose?

Dec 08, 2013 at 06:12 PM
desvenne

p.123 #4 · p.123 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

TMaG82 wrote:
While I'm sure that there were a lot of people that bought the RX1 as a FF compact hoping for a ILC version, I don't think it'll be until a RX2 comes out that you'll see the RX1 really start to drop. Those who didn't like the lack of a built in finder or the fixed lens didn't buy the RX1. And I could see some keeping the RX1 for the f/2 lens and compact nature while supplementing it with a 7 or 7r. I would venture to guess than about 30% or those that bought the RX1 would sell
...Show more

The most interesting RX1 deals I have seen that were not second hand were refurbs (including full warranty) on sony's website.

Also, add the tiltable lcd (or lack thereof) as a point in favour of A7/A7R compared to RX1.

And, unfortunately, RX1 and A7 don't share the same batteries, which is a minus for a second camera

All IMHO, just saying.

In other news, I still don't see that the Zeiss 35 f2.8 is worth 5 times the asking price of the Sigma 30 f2.8. I do hope Sigma updates the art lines for full frame nex, the 19, 30 and 60 are some fantastic value for money IMHO.

Dec 08, 2013 at 06:18 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.123 #5 · p.123 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

yep, carsten, one step down from the a99.

RX1 battery is not strong enough, even for the RX1. Tilt screen adds cost/weight/depth to a rather minimalist camera.

Thought for the day: how much would people pay for the RX1 Sonnar if is was available and worked fine on the a7(r)? Lots, I say.

Dear Susan waxes lyrical about the a7r here:

http://dearsusans.wordpress.com/2013/12/07/sony-a7r-first-impressions-the-magnificent-seven/

'General feel : it’s as lovely to hold as the hand of Nathalie Portman almost as soft.'

'In my book, this is the first camera (& lens) that give me a taste of that large format film or medium format digital look. That combination of endless detail with utter smoothness, particularly when the light is right.'

Suggestion for increasing battery life:

'I immediately put the camera in ‘airplane mode’, which cuts the WiFi and NFC. I know from my smart phone that those options can draw a lot of energy. Also I put the ‘Auto Review’ to off. I guess these small tweaks can make a big difference.'

After a couple of days I have to say I really like this potent little gem. The Contax 21mm on it looks like a bazooka with a control centre behind it. The detail - wow.

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:40 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.123 #6 · p.123 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

itai195 wrote:

Mine did until I turned off bracketing I am not used to spotting the current settings with this camera. With my D800 and many other cameras the little top plate LCD gives everything at a glance.

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:51 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.123 #7 · p.123 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

itai195 wrote:

It is usually lens dependent. I have not seen consistent behavior yet on the A7 but as an example my Canon 5D2 usually overexposed fast manual lenses with 1/3-2/3 so I usually had it set to -1/3.

Canon is usually quite good at highlight recovery (and bad at shadow lifting). The A7 is supposedly good at shadow lifting so if it's just a slight underexpose I wouldnt bother and take care of it i post.

Dec 08, 2013 at 10:36 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.123 #8 · p.123 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

wfrank wrote:
Canon is usually quite good at highlight recovery (and bad at shadow lifting). The A7 is supposedly good at shadow lifting so if it's just a slight underexpose I wouldnt bother and take care of it i post.

sony often seems to expose conservatively to preserve highlights since the shadows can be lifted so well. seems reasonable they may have continued that pattern with the a7. alternatively, did you accidentally bump the EV dial? if not you might just want to bump it up a couple of notches.

Dec 08, 2013 at 10:46 PM
itai195
• • •
p.123 #9 · p.123 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Pretty sure I haven't been bumping the EV dial. Come to think of it, this is pretty consistent with how I remember the RX1 metering, so it's probably just a Sony thing. Not a big deal, as long as it's not just my camera malfunctioning.

So far I'm pretty pleased with the camera. I can understand why it might be a harder transition for those coming from DSLRs, but having mostly been a mirrorless shooter recently, the various quirks are familiar to me.

I just need to find a wide angle lens now. I'm sure my 21 zf.2 would be awesome, but it's oversized for use on mirrorless IMO.

Dec 08, 2013 at 10:54 PM
snapsy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.123 #10 · p.123 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Does anyone know how to turn off exposure preview in Manual mode, so that the viewfinder/LCD is a constant brightness regardless of the dialed-in aperture/shutter speed? Turning off exposure preview is necessary for low-light flash photography, otherwise the preview is pitch black. My current workaround is to enter Aperture Priority mode to focus, then switch back to Manual to take the exposure, but this doesn't work well with living subjects

Dec 09, 2013 at 01:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

grahamb3
• •
p.123 #11 · p.123 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

snapsy wrote:
Does anyone know how to turn off exposure preview in Manual mode, so that the viewfinder/LCD is a constant brightness regardless of the dialed-in aperture/shutter speed?

Under the gear icon in the menu, page 2, "live view display">setting effect. Turn off for flash work.

Graham

Dec 09, 2013 at 02:17 AM
itai195
• • •
p.123 #12 · p.123 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Argh I was looking for that very setting yesterday and couldn't find it. Sigh.

Dec 09, 2013 at 05:03 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.123 #13 · p.123 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

grahamb3 wrote:
Under the gear icon in the menu, page 2, "live view display">setting effect. Turn off for flash work.

Graham

Sweet, thanks!

Dec 09, 2013 at 05:11 AM
Musicman
• •
p.123 #14 · p.123 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Sony A7 'Scan' experiment by -cybertect-

I'd been toying with this idea for a while and this is my first attempt at using my Sony A7 as a film scanner - Sony A7 + Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 Macro lens + Canon FD Auto Bellows that I happen to have.

The effective resolution is about 6000dpi and rather better pixels than I get with my V700. It needed no sharpening beyond the default in Lightroom.

It's also a lot quicker :-)

Original shot with a Canon AV-1 with FD50mm f/1.8 and Kodachrome slide.

100% crop

Sony A7 'Scan' experiment 100% crop by -cybertect-

V700 scan for comparison - the colour with the A7 is more accurate and was a lot easier to get right.

Sun shadows by -cybertect-

Dec 09, 2013 at 08:28 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.123 #15 · p.123 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

It seems that Sony is guaranteed to provide ergonomics / usability disaster behind every corner...

Received today Sony RM-VPR1, currently ONLY wired remote available to the camera. Many eBay sellers claim their stuff to be suitable with A7, but if you look at images their remotes have old Minolta connector, not the Multiconnector. Well, I guess it's like this with unpopular small brands (Sony is really small on camera business compared to Canikon).

The device itself weights just few grams and feels very cheap. If this would be Phottix or other China "brand" this would cost 10USD.

The cable is separate and there came Minolta style cable as well in the package. Cable is similar to cheap USB devices have (=thin and made from not very flexible plastic) and seems to stiffen on cold. Cable doesn't have 90 degree connector like wired remotes usually do, but instead remote connector sticks out from camera and makes impossible to use L-bracket on vertical orientation! Luckily my lenses are mostly EF and I can have my L-bracket on adapter not in camera. Nice design...

In addition to lockable shutter release there are buttons for "W - T" (electronic zoom for video cameras), video record button (red dot) and off-switch on right side of the remote. When "W - T" is pressed camere displays error message "This operation or setting not available". The off-switch seems to put camera to sleep mode and wake from it.

If anybody is aware of this type of remote available for A7, I would be happy to receive information:
http://www.phottix.com/en/wired-remotes/phottixr-tr-90.html

Samuli

Dec 09, 2013 at 06:25 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.123 #16 · p.123 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

^^ I would love to know as well. I shoot tripod based a lot, and those intervalometer/shutter remote is invaluable. That's one of the reasons why I have not bought the A7R yet. I have one for my A99 similar to the Phottix above.

Samuli: for now I think you might have to stick with an IR remote such as this one: http://tempus.bymac.org/

or you can wait for the Time-Lapse app for the A7/R

Dec 09, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.123 #17 · p.123 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

hiepphotog wrote:
^^ I would love to know as well. I shoot tripod based a lot, and those intervalometer/shutter remote is invaluable. That's one of the reasons why I have not bought the A7R yet. I have one for my A99 similar to the Phottix above.

Samuli: for now I think you might have to stick with an IR remote such as this one: http://tempus.bymac.org/

or you can wait for the Time-Lapse app for the A7/R

I think I skip IR-remote since I mostly need wired remote for

1. shooting HDR images (A7 won't be able to use 2s timer to bracketing)
  2. bulb exposures 30s-20min
  3. keeping shutter down 0.5-2 hours for star trails (for shooting in continuous mode 30s exposures)

Only 1 would be suitable for IR-remote. 1&2 should not need wired remote if people designing camera firmware would have brains and some sort of understanding of usability. 3 could be handled with time lapse app, if delay can be set to zero.

For apps I would wish:
- HDR shooting app (3,5 or 7 images with 0.33EV, 0.66EV, 1.0EV, 1.33EV, 1.66EV or 2.0EV bracket steps automatically with no delay/2s delay/10s delay)
- bulb app (able to set how many seconds bulb exposure, ability to stop bulb before time reached, shows time remaining, possibility to use 2s delay before exposure start)

Samuli

Dec 09, 2013 at 07:08 PM
itai195
• • •
p.123 #18 · p.123 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
If anybody is aware of this type of remote available for A7, I would be happy to receive information:
http://www.phottix.com/en/wired-remotes/phottixr-tr-90.html

I have the wireless version of that remote, called the Aion, which also works in a wired configuration. I've been using it with my Nikons and Fujis with no issues. It purportedly also came with a cable that works with Sony cameras but I haven't tried it yet with the A7. I'll try it out tonight when I get home.

I did play with the iOS app which, after upgrading the version on the camera, seems to work okay for single shot use. It doesn't seem to have any timer or interval functions, though I might've missed them. That would be the ideal solution for me, since it means not having to carry any additional gear.

Hopefully there's some app solution for this, but if not I might try to whip something quick and dirty up myself over the holidays since apparently there is an SDK for the A7...

Dec 09, 2013 at 07:30 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.123 #19 · p.123 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

itai195 wrote:
I have the wireless version of that remote, called the Aion, which also works in a wired configuration. I've been using it with my Nikons and Fujis with no issues. It purportedly also came with a cable that works with Sony cameras but I haven't tried it yet with the A7. I'll try it out tonight when I get home.

I did play with the iOS app which, after upgrading the version on the camera, seems to work okay for single shot use. It doesn't seem to have any timer or interval functions, though I might've missed them. That would be
...Show more

How it works? Do you need another tripod for remote, or can you put it to ground if your tripod is in 1.8 meters? How reliable it is, e.g. 20 minute bulb exposure can it be trusted?

Samuli

Dec 09, 2013 at 07:35 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.123 #20 · p.123 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
I think I skip IR-remote since I mostly need wired remote for

1. shooting HDR images (A7 won't be able to use 2s timer to bracketing)
  2. bulb exposures 30s-20min
  3. keeping shutter down 0.5-2 hours for star trails (for shooting in continuous mode 30s exposures)

Only 1 would be suitable for IR-remote. 1&2 should not need wired remote if people designing camera firmware would have brains and some sort of understanding of usability. 3 could be handled with time lapse app, if delay can be set to zero.

For apps I would wish:
- HDR shooting app (3,5 or 7 images with 0.33EV, 0.66EV, 1.0EV, 1.33EV, 1.66EV
...Show more

why can't you use the IR remote for long bulb exposures?

Dec 09, 2013 at 07:39 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password