Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              120      
       122              194       195       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

bcaslis
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.121 #1 · p.121 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I'm finding the Sony A7 profiles included with Lightroom 5.3RC to be great. They seem to perfectly match the color balance from the camera JPEG styles. And if matching is not the goal, the Huelight profiles from colorfidelity are out and give great results.

Dec 06, 2013 at 06:52 PM
alwang
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.121 #2 · p.121 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Not sure if this has been covered in one of the A7 threads, but Tim Ashley did a nice writeup on the FE 35:
http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2013/12/sony-fe-35mm-f2-8-za-on-the-a7r-the-bisto-lens

Dec 06, 2013 at 07:14 PM
alexanderjmarkow

p.121 #3 · p.121 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Anyone who has an A7 or A7r already have an idea of how long charging the battery takes?

Also, is the battery life any better on the A7 than the A7r?

Dec 06, 2013 at 07:48 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.121 #4 · p.121 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

alexanderjmarkow wrote:
Anyone who has an A7 or A7r already have an idea of how long charging the battery takes?

Out of the box using the supplied USB charger, it took mine about 3.5 hours to charge. I think it was Makten who used an RX 100 charger with more amps which cut the time down significantly.

Last night I recharged a battery that was down to 56% in my Nex 7 charger and it took a little less than 2 hours (but I didn't time it).

I hope this helps.

Dec 06, 2013 at 08:02 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.121 #5 · p.121 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

sebboh wrote:
the NEX-7 works the same way. that set up is the only way i can tolerate using AF on any camera.

You mean a separate button for AF than the shutter? That is std since long for the big brands.

Dec 06, 2013 at 08:13 PM
itai195
• • •
p.121 #6 · p.121 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

sebboh wrote:
the NEX-7 works the same way. that set up is the only way i can tolerate using AF on any camera.

Hm, I forgot about the NEX-7 I suppose. I don't remember seeing it on the 5 or 6, but I could be wrong. At any rate, it's nice to have on the A7 though I don't use back button AF as often anymore. Nowadays I prefer to just have a quick AF/MF toggle.

Dec 06, 2013 at 08:16 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.121 #7 · p.121 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Someone help me, I'm getting annoyed and I'm sure it's something simple. When I press c1 for focus magnification it zooms in but only for about a second or 2. It's doing my head in.

The manual that came with the camera is shite and doesn't have any instructions at all. Is there an online user guide?

Dec 06, 2013 at 08:48 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.121 #8 · p.121 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

ct8282 wrote:
Someone help me, I'm getting annoyed and I'm sure it's something simple. When I press c1 for focus magnification it zooms in but only for about a second or 2. It's doing my head in.

The manual that came with the camera is shite and doesn't have any instructions at all. Is there an online user guide?

That is the default setting. Go into Menu. Gear 1st screen Focus Magnification Time and set for unlimited.

Rich

Dec 06, 2013 at 08:52 PM
theophilus
• • •
p.121 #9 · p.121 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

What is everyone doing for a polarizer for the FE35? I can do 49-58 step up but wondering if there is a solution to still use the lens hood.

Dec 06, 2013 at 08:55 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.121 #10 · p.121 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

naturephoto1 wrote:
That is the default setting. Go into Menu. Gear 1st screen Focus Magnification Time and set for unlimited.

Rich

Awesome thanks. Sussed it. Yay, shots in focus at last. Lol.

Dec 06, 2013 at 09:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

twoeye
• •
p.121 #11 · p.121 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

alwang wrote:
Not sure if this has been covered in one of the A7 threads, but Tim Ashley did a nice writeup on the FE 35:
http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2013/12/sony-fe-35mm-f2-8-za-on-the-a7r-the-bisto-lens

Great info on the FE 35 and how various automatic compensations are applied to RAW´s and JPEG´s:

"Shading Compensation (which covers both colour and luminance vignetting) is applied to both JPEG and RAW files when set to Auto, whereas the Distortion Compensation is applied only to JPEGs, leaving RAW file distortion to be corrected, if at all, in post. Chromatic Aberration Compensation is the same: it is applied to JPEG files only "

Dec 06, 2013 at 09:49 PM
mhespenheide
• •
p.121 #12 · p.121 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Possibly new point: On the a7r in combination with the LA-EA4:

Apologies if I've missed this (and perhaps it should be a new thread...), but has anyone seen anything about micro-adjusting the autofocus with the a7r-LAEA4 combination?

I think I understand that, if I'm using an FE lens on the a7r, I'm focusing off the sensor.

But if I add the LAEA4 in order to use my (existing) Sony alpha glass, is there any way to add in a microadjustment for autofocus? It helped get the best results with my a850; I'm assuming those lenses still could use some adjustment on the new camera...

Thanks for any information.

Dec 06, 2013 at 11:00 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.121 #13 · p.121 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

wfrank wrote:
You mean a separate button for AF than the shutter? That is std since long for the big brands.

yes.

Dec 07, 2013 at 02:27 AM
miklar
• •
p.121 #14 · p.121 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

And another reviewer, as though we haven't read enough of these
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/11/%e2%80%8bsony-a7-a7r-review-so-long-dslrs-hello-future-of-photography/
Michael Hession - of Gizmodo hits at the possible demise of the DSLRs, but not really
Cheers

Dec 07, 2013 at 03:47 AM
ebrandon
• • •
p.121 #15 · p.121 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

mhespenheide wrote:
Possibly new point: On the a7r in combination with the LA-EA4:

Apologies if I've missed this (and perhaps it should be a new thread...), but has anyone seen anything about micro-adjusting the autofocus with the a7r-LAEA4 combination?

I think I understand that, if I'm using an FE lens on the a7r, I'm focusing off the sensor.

But if I add the LAEA4 in order to use my (existing) Sony alpha glass, is there any way to add in a microadjustment for autofocus? It helped get the best results with my a850; I'm assuming those lenses still could use some adjustment on the new
...Show more

The "AF Micro Adj" setting in Cog Wheel 5 menu works with the LAEA4. I'm actually not sure if it does anything else other than the LAEA4 -- wouldn't make sense to adjust contrast detect AF on native lenses.

Dec 07, 2013 at 04:06 AM
lostinjapan
• •
p.121 #16 · p.121 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Emacs wrote:
They added excessive sharpening at high ISO after PRIME, which rather introduces artifacts than improve microdetails.

I don't shoot at high ISOs very much, but I have not found that to be the case. You can adjust the settings on PRIME, which makes a big difference. I do think the NIK Define probably does a better job, and takes alot less time than PRIME(which seems to take forever).

Ryan

Dec 07, 2013 at 09:05 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.121 #17 · p.121 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Does anyone know if there is a way to reassign the zoom/magnify button in image review? I had that its located on C2.

Dec 07, 2013 at 02:09 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.121 #18 · p.121 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

michael49 wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a way to reassign the zoom/magnify button in image review? I had that its located on C2.

Not that I've found yet. There is a "Zoom" option that can be assigned to the custom buttons but it doesn't appear to be for image zoom because I get an odd error when I tried to use that assignment.

Dec 07, 2013 at 03:12 PM
TMaG82
• • •
p.121 #19 · p.121 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

rioni wrote:
Now that everyone is getting their A7's, I wonder when those horribly dated RX1's will hit sub 1500 used. They have that weird 35mm lens that can't be removed like the new high tech A7. I've been waiting a year so I guess I can wait abit longer

While I'm sure that there were a lot of people that bought the RX1 as a FF compact hoping for a ILC version, I don't think it'll be until a RX2 comes out that you'll see the RX1 really start to drop. Those who didn't like the lack of a built in finder or the fixed lens didn't buy the RX1. And I could see some keeping the RX1 for the f/2 lens and compact nature while supplementing it with a 7 or 7r. I would venture to guess than about 30% or those that bought the RX1 would sell it to upgrade. The rest would either keep it or add the 7 or 7r to it. But the RX2 would possibly make people sell off the RX1 in greater quantity.

Dec 08, 2013 at 12:29 AM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.121 #20 · p.121 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I decided to post these images here on the heals of Samuli review of the 35/2.8FE. I wanted to go out with the a7R and really test it out but it's been so damn cold here in Minneapolis. Well, I decided to go out early this evening just for a little as it's (-3F) but I have an itchy shutter finger!

I decided to shoot a nearby bridge and wanted to compare the 35/2.8FE along with the M Rokkor 40/2 CLE. I was surprised by the results from the M Rokkor. Reflections are all over the place in both images. The 35/2.8 faired better but each has a couple of interesting effects. I'd be interested to hear what folks have to say. Both lenses are clean as far as I can tell but I was really surprised by the M Rokkor.

Thoughts? Surprised or not?

ILCE-7R    FE 35mm F2.8 ZA lens    35mm    f/11.0    10s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

a7R, M Rokkor 40/2 CLE @ f/8

ILCE-7R    FE 35mm F2.8 ZA lens    35mm    f/11.0    25s    80 ISO    0.0 EV  

a7R, M Rokkor 40/2 CLE f/8

Dec 08, 2013 at 01:20 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password