Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

designdog
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

My recent affinity with the Nikon 24mm 1.4G and the Zeiss 100/2MP leads me to believe I want a solid 50mm lens to make a nice kit.

Currently have the nikon 50mm 1.8G and the 50mm 1.2AI-s. Both nice lenses, but are they a good match for my other two? I am looking at the following, with my comments:

Zeiss 50/1.4 - not the best Zeiss, but has personality and is very crisp in mid and long range.

Zeiss 50/2MP - excellent lens but another macro and perhaps not best as an all around lens.

Voightlander 58mm 1.4N II good reviews, good price, love the retro look on the updated version.

Any thoughts on these?

Oct 15, 2013 at 03:11 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

The 50/2 Makro is the closest you can get to best 50mm yet still affordable IMO. Great wide open with a nice image rendering and very sharp stopped down for landscape. It also has the best build. I like its bokeh best among other 50s. The 1:2 macro is a plus.

I can't compare the 50 1.2 AIS with the Zeiss Makro since both are unique lenses that complement each other.

Oct 15, 2013 at 03:31 PM
stedge
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

not sure what you are really looking for, but the 1.2 ais is a great lens.

a really cheap option (as an addition) would be the 55/3.5 ais (or 2.*). They are really sharp and really cheap.

Oct 15, 2013 at 03:50 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

You have two "good enough" 50mm lenses... The best thing is to wait a little bit more for the rumored 58mm f/1.4. Read here please!

Having said that, depending on what are you shooting Sigma 50/1.4 could be a good solution.

Oct 15, 2013 at 03:59 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

zeiss 50 1.4 is mediocre with a horrible bokeh, zeiss 50mm 2.0 is fantastic with a beautiful bokeh, nikon 50mm 1.2 is great with a lovely bokeh but lacks the contrast the zeiss 50mm f2 offers. cant say anything about the voigtlander.

If the new 55 is as good as it is being hyped. I will sell my last 50mm 1.2 which is like new and use the funds for the otus.

Oct 15, 2013 at 04:24 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

I loved Zeiss 50MP when I shot Canon. I have the 50 1.8 G, and don't feel like it has the same pop (though it's a great lens for hiking!).

I am really hoping Sigma puts out an updated 50, something on par with their 35 as I like having AF when needed.

Oct 15, 2013 at 06:24 PM
designdog
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

These comments pretty well sum it up for me.

50 1.8g lacks punch
50 1.2ais is a specialty lens
50/1.4 Zeiss not the best
50/2mp very good, very expensive, not 1.4
Voightlander: nobody seems to know

Somehow I can't bring myself to spend over $1,000 for a 50mm lens, when I already have the 100/2mp. With no viable options (for me, at least) I will remain with the 50 1.2...

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:22 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

Given your affinity for the 100 Makro Planar, I'd be shopping for the 50 f2 MP... its the obvious fit.

I owned the 50 f1.4 for a long time and I think it gets an unfair rap personally. It was sharp and had those phenomenal Zeiss colors. Yeah the bokkeh is a little less buttery than the Makro Planars but it isnt as bad as sometimes you can be led to believe.

but the 50/2 MP would be my recommendation.

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:37 PM
ocean2059
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

Jorge Torralba wrote:
zeiss 50 1.4 is mediocre with a horrible bokeh, zeiss 50mm 2.0 is fantastic with a beautiful bokeh, nikon 50mm 1.2 is great with a lovely bokeh but lacks the contrast the zeiss 50mm f2 offers. ....

Well said. I will also highly recommend the Nikon 50/1.2 AIS.

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:37 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

One gets used to AF. I would hate to go back to manual focus now. The 50mm F1.2 Ais was real hard for me to focus when I had the F3 bodies. The new 50mm F1.8 AFG is doing what I need it to do, picture wise , and it is AF.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
f.hayek
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

A vote for the 50/1.2 but with caveats.
-if you're shooting at night and objects at distance, the coma is pretty overbearing wider than f/2, disappearing completely there.
-at f/1.2 and at mid-to-near distances, it is mighty sharp albeit at lower contrast, even at f1.2, where it renders with a delightful drearminess.

It's not an all-arounder but as mentioned above, very much a specialty lens.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Tinquach

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

Hi guys,

I don't own a Zeiss lens nor know someone who does so I'm a newbie in regards with Zeiss optics. I have the opportunity to buy a Zeiss MP f2 ZF.2 for 700$ (used), should I go for it or wait and see what the Sigma Art 50 f1.4 will have to offer ?

Heard some good things about the 50 MP but was wondering if it's better than the Nikon 50 f1.8 that I own or better than the the upcoming Sigma Art 50 ?

I shoot with a D800e but very far from being the best photographer out there (still need to practice a lot)! So, will the lack of AF bother me in the long run if I use the Zeiss 50 MP for everyday shooting ?

Sorry about all those questions, I really don't know if the Zeiss 50 MP is worth the price (700$) for my kind of shooting, my abilities and the upcoming newer lens.

Your 2 cents would be greatly appreciated,

Apr 05, 2014 at 08:52 AM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

IMO the Zeiss 50 MP is the best 50 mm lens after the Otus. It is the only lens that gives the Otus some competition. All the other 50's are far behind. For $700 used I would buy it and try it out. If you don't like it (or need/want AF) you can always sell it for about the same amount.

Personally I don't like Sigma (a.o. because of the fact that they stole the AF-specs from Nikon and used these for the development of their own lenses, hence the many million dollar claim from Nikon). And in my mind there are still the many years of mediocre lenses from them. But that's just me. Many other people love their Sigma's.

Apr 05, 2014 at 10:14 AM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

My take on 50mm lenses:
50 1.8G: the best all round compromise
50 1.2 AIS: very good but not that simple to use (MF) and quite some limitations
Zeiss 50 1.4 ZF: good/ok but not "Zeiss good", pictures don't impress me compared to what I get with the 1.8G
Zeiss 50 2.0 ZF: excellent but I just tested one once, I don't own one
Voigtländer 40mm 2.0: excellent, IQ really impressed me for the price, very compact lens, almost "pancake type"
Voigtländer 58mm: no experience at all

Guy

Apr 05, 2014 at 10:23 AM
jbouchard
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

One of the lenses that impresses me by it's rendering is the Nikon 60/2.8 AF-S micro. No, I don't have one and I've never tried one. But looking at other people's shots make me think it's approaching a "poor man's Zeiss", and it's got AF.

When I am intrigued by a particular lens I like to browse Flicker, look for a group dedicated to a particular lens and look at dozens of shots so I can get a feel for it's bokeh, rendering, etc. Yeah, I know they have been tweaked in post, but it's better than nothing. I can get a feel for "I like what I see so far" versus "Yuk". When I browse shots for the Nikon 60/2.8 I like what I see. It's not going to have the same depth of field as a 1.4, but what's out of focus is nicely out of focus, and reminds me of Zeiss.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/733021@N20/

The main reason I haven't gotten one is Rockwell's page indicates a lot of vignetting, but someday I'll probably pick up a used one and play with it.

Apr 05, 2014 at 10:43 AM
jc9394
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

Agree with jbouchard, I have both Zeiss 100MP and 21 Distagon and is looking for a 50mm. Bought the Zeiss 50 f/1.4 but sold it in a week after compare to the Nikkor 60 macro that I already have. That being said, I'm still interest in the Nikkor 58mm AFS I love the rendering of it.

Apr 05, 2014 at 11:36 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

Would wait for the 50 ART to show its face before deciding. The Nikkor 50/1.2, BTW, is a great lens, not just "OK". It has a delicate haze for portraiture when shot wider than ƒ/2 but stopped down to ƒ/5.6, it's a match for its modern cousins. The (big) caveat is focusing it without the proper screen. The green dot in low light is all but useless.

The 60 Macro is really a fantastic buy if you're content with ƒ/2.8

Apr 05, 2014 at 12:02 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

My Zeiss 50mm/1.4 ZF is second only to my 100mm/2 ZF.2 in sharpness when stopped down to f4 or beyond. It is useless as a conventional lens at f1.4 but takes off quickly. It is cheap and it is small. It is not Zeiss' most popular lens but does have a following among some Zeiss fans.

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1144/cat/98

Apr 05, 2014 at 01:34 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

j.liam wrote:
Would wait for the 50 ART to show its face before deciding. The Nikkor 50/1.2, BTW, is a great lens, not just "OK". It has a delicate haze for portraiture when shot wider than ƒ/2 but stopped down to ƒ/5.6, it's a match for its modern cousins. The (big) caveat is focusing it without the proper screen. The green dot in low light is all but useless.

The 60 Macro is really a fantastic buy if you're content with ƒ/2.8

I wouldn't say the 50/1.2 AIs is a match for it's modern cousins. I definitely has issues with flare and ghosting that modern designs do not and, although it's as sharp as a 36MP sensor can use in the center, off in the borders and corners it doesn't quite match up to my 50/1.8G At least that's the story for the copy of f/1.2 AIS and f/1.8G that I have (or had).

It is no slouch for sure.

Depending on how you intend to use the 50/1.2 AIS it is certainly capable of producing excellent images. I only sold mine due to a change in what I shoot and my transition to more compact and lighter ~50mm walk around configuration with my D800.

Apr 05, 2014 at 02:15 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 50mm Zeiss, Voightlander, or Nikon?

jhinkey wrote:
off in the borders and corners it doesn't quite match up to my 50/1.8G At least that's the story for the copy of f/1.2 AIS and f/1.8G that I have (or had).

It is no slouch for sure.

It's not my choice for landscapes, that's certain but 50mm isn't what I would reach for in those instances anyway.

The 'atmospherics' for portraiture, lively bokeh that is "interesting" but not distracting, the ability to be used at ƒ/1.2 is what I own it for. I don't much care for the bokeh of the Z* 1,4/50, never took to the Nikkor 50/1.4 AIS and similarly, find the 50/1.8 technically fantastic, if a bit boring.

Haven't owned the Voigtländer but have studied images from it. Wonderful saturated color and superior sharpness once you hit ƒ/4. Contrast is still low @ ƒ/1.4-2. Shame no aspherical element was included in that design. Would have been killer glass. Lloyd Chambers did very extensive testing with it on a D3x back in 2009 or '10. Probably not up to a 36MP sensor but a 24 should do fine.

Horses for courses.

Apr 05, 2014 at 03:24 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.