FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · One Knot at Full Tilt

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · One Knot at Full Tilt

I recently purchased a copy of this lens:

Schneider-Kreuznach APO-Componon HM 90/4.5

It is an enlarger lens for up to medium format, with an image “circle” of 60mm x 70mm. The HM indicates that it has High Modulation i.e. high resolution. Wikipedia: “These are 6-element, 4-group apochromatic enlarger lenses, using high-modulation glass elements, designed for critical color rendition and precision industrial applications”.

With the onset of wet, cold, autumn weather, this caterpillar, eating rhubarb leaves, was the only easily-accessible subject. It is a Knot Grass moth caterpillIar Acronicta rumicis, which will eat many different species of plants, including the very toxic leaves of cullinary rhubarb Rheum rhabarbarum.

For this exercise, I tried the lens mounted normally and reversed and saw little difference in results at this magnification. These images are with it reversed, via an OM to m4/3 tilt adapter, connected to camera by m4/3 tubes, total extension ca 185mm (plus 20mm to the sensor). The lens was set at f16, possibly not optimal but I wanted good DOF, this extended by using full tilt. As the subject was mobile, and frequently changing its orientation, I cannot be sure that the principal plane of focus was fully optimal but I am satisfied with the results of this early outing for the lens. Working distance ca 120mm.

Illumination was an Olympus OM T32 flash, with diffuser, on the hot shoe (E-P2), manual control, in-camera flash compensation. ISO 100 and 400, respectively, was used at 1/160 sec. Hand-held.

The first image has been cropped for composition, by ca 50%, and the second only slightly. This gives long side FOVs of ca 6mm and 9mm.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2013

Head From Above, Thorax Hunched

© Harold Gough 2013

Bad Hair Day

Oct 15, 2013 at 02:31 AM
andreloo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · One Knot at Full Tilt

Hi Harold, the 1st one looks better but i would try to find a better model ), very good close up!!Andrei

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:48 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · One Knot at Full Tilt

andreloo wrote:
Hi Harold, the 1st one looks better but i would try to find a better model ), very good close up!!Andrei

Thanks, Andrei.

The second one is really to show why I took the first one!

Harold

Oct 17, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · One Knot at Full Tilt

Really cool

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:36 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · One Knot at Full Tilt

Thanks, Jonathan.

The caterpillar was still there yesterday but the leaves on which it is feeding are rapidly dying as the weather gets colder.

Harold

Oct 19, 2013 at 01:00 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · One Knot at Full Tilt

I have just viewed the posted images posted here on my son's PC. He has the brightness set quite high and it gives my second image quite a misty look. His screen also has a green cast. Viewing again via my PC, I can see a small difference in brightness/contrast between the two images. I have now made adjustments to the second one. Unfortunately, I could do nothing about the hairstyle!

Harold

Oct 25, 2013 at 02:41 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.