Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Magazine suggestions

jspytek
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Magazine suggestions

I like looking at magazines and other websites for inspiration and suggestions on what hits the mark as a quality shot. Also to look for ideas of how professionals shoot / frame their photos. I like to try to pick up a "preview" magazine before the new season starts.

With that as the background, does anyone have a suggestion of a magazine they've read and have seen for the upcoming winter sports session? e.g. Basketball, wrestling, etc.

Color photos would be preferred, but not necessary. I'm wanting more action shots, not of coaches yelling and fan participation.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:56 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Magazine suggestions

I don't mean to be flippant, but how about going to the public library and sit down with a stack of Sports Illustrated and similar magazines? The other thing would be to do an online search of somewhere like Getty images for 'editor's picks' of various sports.

Oct 15, 2013 at 04:17 AM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Magazine suggestions

Not flippant. Sometimes the obvious is the answer. The last time I went to my local library they didn't have SI. I do online searches and google image searches. Every sports season I see dozens of preseason football, basketball, baseball etc. magazines. I was just wondering if any one of them stood out this season and if I should track them down for my collection / personal library.

I'll try the "editor's picks" idea.

Oct 15, 2013 at 04:12 PM
Widgic
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Magazine suggestions

I keep a running list of bookmarks of some sports photographers and go through my list from time to time to review their work. Here are a few tips:

- Google "sport photographer" and look at what pops out.

- When you see a photo you like (in a magazine, web site, etc..), look for the photographer and bookmark his web site.

- There are site that are specific to Sport Photography such as http://www.asportinglife.com/ that are always worth checking.

Hope this helps.

Denis
www.widgic.com

Oct 16, 2013 at 08:06 PM
rsartin
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Magazine suggestions

Check the wires? AP, Getty, USA Today Sports, Etc.

Oct 17, 2013 at 08:24 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Magazine suggestions

I can check online. I like to have something in my bag to flip through when I'm not on a computer or a smart phone. Also, something about making it in print ads a level of - why did this photo stand out. It makes me look at what did the editor see here that I should be looking for.

That being said, thanks for the ideas.

Oct 17, 2013 at 08:42 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.