Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · A question about shooting the sun?

rtljr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A question about shooting the sun?

Through experimentation I have accidentally found that using a smaller aperture or higher f number would give me the star like effect rather than the basic glow surrounding the sun.

Is this correct or was I just lucky? Is there a formula, as I have seen some nice sunset shots where the sun has a star like effect as opposed to the glow. Am I on the right track with the high f number?

Oct 14, 2013 at 07:52 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A question about shooting the sun?

rtljr wrote:
Through experimentation I have accidentally found that using a smaller aperture or higher f number would give me the star like effect rather than the basic glow surrounding the sun.

Is this correct or was I just lucky? Is there a formula, as I have seen some nice sunset shots where the sun has a star like effect as opposed to the glow. Am I on the right track with the high f number?

Yes.

Oct 14, 2013 at 07:54 PM
dodgyexposure
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A question about shooting the sun?

It's the same for any point light source. This is the effect that you see in night cityscapes with starry lights.

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:40 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A question about shooting the sun?

rtljr wrote:
...Is there a formula... Am I on the right track with the high f number?

Yes, but the specific number will vary from lens to lens and light source to light source. It's all about the point of onset of diffraction.

You can also create or enhance the effect with a variety of means, such as a "star filter" on the lens.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM
rtljr

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A question about shooting the sun?

Ah! Interesting. I'll have to try this with lights at night. As I said I happened upon this accidentally by wanting to see what f/22 would be like on a sunset shot.

Thanks everyone.

Oct 15, 2013 at 05:34 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A question about shooting the sun?

At f22 you lose so much resolution due to diffraction.
If this is your method for star effect, I would also shoot the same shot at a larger aperture and combine the two images using the f22 shot just for the sun. This will also give you the benefit of controlling the exposure for the brightest area of the image.

Oct 15, 2013 at 09:53 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.