Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

Jamesstanley

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

I keep seeing some wonderful images posted on here and I love when some adds a little more blur to an area to draw attention to a subject. How can I do this in lightroom?

I also like when a haze is added to add again a little more focus on the subject, to obscure something, to add an emotion, you know the dramatic haze almost like a gradient but more subdued and less uniform.

Lastly I also see shots where more lens flare seems to be happening during post. No clue how to do this but occasionally it might be cool.

Thanks for reading and any hints.

Oct 14, 2013 at 07:31 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

I think most of what you see here is done in camera, au naturale. Most people who attempt to do those effects in post get called out for it. It's an FM pet peeve, haha.

Oct 14, 2013 at 07:34 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

Heh... yeah that's not Lightroom or Photoshop... that's technique. Shooting into the sun, through (or partially through) something else, etc. is what creates that effect.

Oct 14, 2013 at 07:40 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

In cam.

Oct 14, 2013 at 07:44 PM
Jamesstanley

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

I know how to accomplish this in camera as well. And a good amount of the time I do. That said artistic license occasionally is fun and I don't want to put any one on the spot but I see added blur, exaggerated flares, exaggerated haze that in my opinion had to have been enhanced greatly or created after the fact. I see it daily. Now to be fair I don't have the original raw files but I know it happens. I would like to know how. Very simply for fun. I am not a paid photographer just a hobbyist. Thanks for understanding.

Oct 14, 2013 at 07:45 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

Jamesstanley wrote:
I know how to accomplish this in camera as well. And a good amount of the time I do. That said artistic license occasionally is fun and I don't want to put any one on the spot but I see added blur, exaggerated flares, exaggerated haze that in my opinion had to have been enhanced greatly or created after the fact. I see it daily. Now to be fair I don't have the original raw files but I know it happens. I would like to know how. Very simply for fun. I am not a paid photographer just a hobbyist.
...Show more

Just because you can't do it in camera, doesn't mean it can't be done in camera. If you think it was added in post, I say post them here so we can see what you're talking about.

Oct 14, 2013 at 07:57 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

Do you have examples of where people have done it and posted it here to FM?

Oct 14, 2013 at 07:58 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

It should also be noted that both flare and bokeh will differ greatly with the lenses you use.

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:07 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

Yeah dude if you add that stuff in post it's generally pretty obvious and I doubt it's something you'd want to simulate. I'm pretty sure you're talking about tilt-shift lenses and particular lenses that flare in a characteristic way (not usually the most expensive lenses btw because usually those are designed to reduce flare)

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:09 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

Sounds like your talking about some of the tilt-shift images. Like Kurtis said, if it's being done in post, it's usually pretty shitty... he did say shitty, right?

Oct 14, 2013 at 09:33 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

Point the camera at the sun, position it near a corner, place pretty subject in frame (preferably on opposite side of frame of said sun), press button.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Jamesstanley

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

I understand this may be the wrong place to ask this question. But looking at processed files that are shared I see unnatural effects which frankly I like. I am not going to single any person out I just figured this was an easy question. My post processing skills are not to the level of many of you, which is fine I am a determined hobbyist who does this for mostly fun. I don't plan on adding faux bokeh, I am talking about something different, something more dramatic an effect. Same with flares, and haze. I know how to manually achieve these results. I have been shooting for 15 years. The question is not what aperture or focal length or distance from subject? or how should I point my camera at the sun? what f stop for sunstars? The truth sometimes you have shitty weather and want to add a different element to a single shot. Sometimes you have an unavoidable subject in an otherwise great shot, sometimes you want to add an effect for fun. Can it be abused? Yes. Should it be something photographers should collectively laugh at when overdone. Yes. But still a little touch tastefully once in a while in my opinion is valuable and I do see it here. It's not much different than comping a family shot because the one kid would just not smile at the right time. So while I appreciate the banter, I am not concerned with bettering my understanding of blur, bokeh, dof, aperture, focal lengths, pointing or not pointing at the sun, shooting through leaves, shooting through windows, shooting through glasses, water, etc. thank you kindly.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

Show us what the hell you're talking about if you wish to be taken seriously. Otherwise take your ego elsewhere because this is overly vague to the point of being pointless.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

So, again, if you'll post the image you're trying to achieve, most of us would help. Without an example, quite frankly, we don't know what else to tell you. If you're talking about getting the pissed on look, just go buy some actions or presets and be done with it.

edit: apparently, Kurtis and I think alike... and at the same speeds.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Jamesstanley

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

TTLKurtis wrote:
Show us what the hell you're talking about if you wish to be taken seriously. Otherwise take your ego elsewhere because this is overly vague to the point of being pointless.

Absolutely zero ego involved. I will figure it out on my own. Thank you

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

Hmmmm... asks how to do something, says he knows how to do it all, gets pissed because people can't read his mind... na, no ego.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:55 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

Well first, you need a monkey...

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:27 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

everyone is asking that you show us an example so we can see what you are referring to, you refuse to do it but think you know for a fact it wasn't shot that way, you aren't doing anyone any favors by not cooperating with the request and acting like you are so sure of yourself

Oct 15, 2013 at 06:18 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

Nobody tell him about the munkees!!

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:16 AM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lightroom. How do you guys add flares and blur and haze?

I know there's a flair filter in Photoshop...I think anyway don't think I've used it in ten years as it does look fake and cheesy a bit but in the right situation i suppose you could use it if you wanted. In lightroom though there is a graduated filter tool and you can add a blur to edges that way. Just drag the Gf where you want the effect and turn the clarity/sharpness down. Kind of a fake ts effect. Of course for it to look good you need to do it judiciously and subtly but I've seen it done well on SLR lounge. Also the radial tool can be used. Draw a circle around your subjects and turn clarity down.

I didnt read every post so maybe I missed something where the OP was being an ass but It seems everyone was quite hard on him for asking how to do something. Its not like he asked how to do selective color lol.

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.