Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Do you work normal business hours...

lilyphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you work normal business hours...

...during the week when you're not photographing a wedding?

I suppose this question really only applies to those who don't have another job. Do you limit yourself to "normal" 8-5 working hours for editing, etc. or do you find yourself working at all hours of the day/night?

I try to stop working when my husband gets home around 5:30, but sometimes it's just too tempting. It's definitely a plus being able to work in the comfort of your own home, but I'm also finding it to have the downside of always being at arms reach.

Just curious to see how other full timers do things.

Oct 14, 2013 at 07:15 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you work normal business hours...

I have a wife and kid, so I keep weekday evenings completely free for them. My daughter is 12, an age where I feel it's important to be there for her. She swims 3 nights per week and I love watching that. Consults and meetings take place mornings or afternoons. I'll occasionally schedule a consult for a Saturday or Sunday morning if that's the only time the client can do it.

Oct 14, 2013 at 07:32 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you work normal business hours...

I take Monday and Tuesday mornings off so I can ride with friends. I pickup or drop off my kids at school 3-4 days per week. I almost never miss one of my kids sports or other activities and if the surf is good.......

I have scool age kids so 3-8pm I am on dad duty. The dog needs a daily walk.

I'm happy to do client meetings in the evenings and I don't mind processing aftervthe kids are in bed.

I'd rather get some work done at night after the kids are asleep and take some time during the day. I don't go through the hassle of a sole trader to work day job hours.

Gordon

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:22 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you work normal business hours...

I try to work normal business hours. I normally spend the morning getting the kid ready for school, then running/biking to school with him with #2 in tow. Once I get home around 8:30 then I start working. Then I usually stop around 5-6pm unless I'm shooting. Then dad duty until the kids are asleep. If I'm behind I'll start editing again or I'll kick back & relax.

Oct 14, 2013 at 09:28 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you work normal business hours...

I work kinda ... all the time. But I'm usually listening to music, or watching movies/netflixing or something while doing it. I also don't have any problem walking away from work for spontaneous social calls or plans (last week I took a day and spent it at Napa with my bro and sis-in-law).

Oct 14, 2013 at 09:32 PM
photosymbol
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you work normal business hours...

I keep 9-5 as much as possible. I occasionally break off for yard work, small things around the house if i feel my eyes are getting tired from editing etc.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you work normal business hours...

Im a single 31 year old male - and a night owl. Not at all.....my schedule is wack.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you work normal business hours...

neither of us work a full time job outside of our business, so I would have to say we are not normal 9-5 people, my schedule does work around my daughter's school hours though in regard to when she leaves and when she comes home, but I do get a lot of work done when she is here too.

Oct 15, 2013 at 06:46 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you work normal business hours...

Interesting question ! I sometimes get the feeling that I'm the only one that works normal hours...

My official time is Mon-Fri 10:30 - 17:30.

Very, very occasionally, I schedule in a specific time to talk to someone after hours, but that's it. Works well for me.

I like to have a balance.

Oct 15, 2013 at 06:52 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you work normal business hours...

We have shoots 2-3 days a week in the evenings and client meetings in the evenings, so I almost never have typical hours.

Oct 15, 2013 at 07:09 AM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you work normal business hours...

Haha. No.

My hours are usually something like 12-12 or sometimes even later. Late at night when the emails stop coming is about the only time I can actually get things done.

Oct 15, 2013 at 07:31 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you work normal business hours...

I sort of keep normal hours. I tend to start later than most, 10-10.30am is a typical start time for me, and when my girlfriend gets home around 6-6.30pm I try and stop, at least for a bit. I'll often do late late nights however and 3am is not an unusual time for me. I've always been a night owl!

During certain times of year, I also get up earlier, around 6.45 (when gf leaves) go to the gym for a swim and then head back for breakfast at 8.30 followed by editing from 9am onwards.

Oct 15, 2013 at 07:36 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you work normal business hours...

I keep some resemblance of structure. I think it's important for a professional. I usually have 2 shoots a week. So on non shooting days my alarm goes off at 6:30, I'm in the office by 7AM, work until 4 or 5 usually. Shoot days I take it a bit easier, usually take either the morning or the afternoon off and do something fun, golf/surf/run/workout/whatever. If I have a double or triple on the weekends I will take Monday off usually. I find that works best for me.

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:09 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you work normal business hours...

I have a day job, so nope. I send out contracts at 6pm, or take a Skype session at 7:30pm. I respond to most emails during the day.

2011 was all about learning how to shoot.
2012 was learning how to get my editing time down.
2013 was learning how to grow my business.
2014 will be about learning the work/life balance.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you work normal business hours...

no I work crazy hours... and it will get crazier this winter because I will most likely try to ski most days from like 8-12 and then work through the night.

Oct 15, 2013 at 02:59 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do you work normal business hours...

hardlyboring wrote:
no I work crazy hours... and it will get crazier this winter because I will most likely try to ski most days from like 8-12 and then work through the night.

livin' the dream, yo

Oct 15, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do you work normal business hours...

I would love to, but there isn't a chance. I have a wife and a daughter, went back to my part-time job that is really more like full-time hours and I'm trying to juggle all that and maintain some level of sanity and personal time as well. I work whenever I get the chance (usually editing 11pm until 1am, answering as many emails from my phone as possible throughout the day, waking up early before everyone else and getting things done, etc). I do set hours on my family time though. Weekday nights are my family's as are afternoons and evenings on weekends that I don't have shoots or meetings.

Oct 15, 2013 at 06:17 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do you work normal business hours...

Yes and no. I work all day till about 5ish. Then back to work after 9 when the boyfriend goes to bed. I have another 'job'. I make crafts and sell them on Etsy and other places. I work non stop practically but, 98% of the time I feel like I dont work so I cant complain.

I have a cat and two dogs. lol

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do you work normal business hours...

I work when I can work. Sometimes it is during the day, other times it is at night after the kids and wife goes to bed. Sometimes I get on a roll and work 48 hours straight with 20 minute naps every 4 hours and a 2 hour nap at 12 hours. I usually do that once a month when I need to get ahead because we have a family weekend planned and I want to be family involved as much as I can.

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.