New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · paperwork when purchasing used gear

Bard

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · paperwork when purchasing used gear

hello .... here is my question. How important is it to get the original store receipt when purchasing a used camera?
I just got a used camera and the owner didn't have the original receipt. I'm confident that he did buy it. will i have difficulties later if i want to re-sell it. We did make up a bill of sale.
thank you

Oct 14, 2013 at 05:19 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · paperwork when purchasing used gear

IMO this isn't a big deal. I prefer to have it, but rarely get it. It helps to make more sure that it isn't a stolen lens, and of course, if there is any tranferrable warranty left over, it is needed. It could also help prove that a lens isn't a grey-market lens.

Oct 14, 2013 at 05:31 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · paperwork when purchasing used gear

If the owner's already registered the camera, the receipt isn't going to do anything beyond proving the camera wasn't stolen. In that case, if there is warranty left, you'll probably need the original owner's assistance if it needs warranty repair.

If it's out of warranty and you're confident the seller is dealing honestly, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:50 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · paperwork when purchasing used gear

If your buying from anyone whom you even have to wonder about legal ownership of the camera they are selling.....then your buying from the wrong person.

Warranty/Sales receipts are generally only good for the original buyer as well.

As for resale again, its even more meaningless. By the time the camera has made its way through 3 sets of owners any warranty surely would of expired.

Serial numbers and/or decals are generally the only method to prove something isn't grey market as well.

Nikon for example can tell if a lens is USA or Grey without the need for a sales receipt.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:02 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · paperwork when purchasing used gear

I like to get a receipt from the person who sold the used gears to me, but I don't care about the original purchase receipt. If I suspect it's stolen, I won't touch it, even if the seller claims to have the original purchase receipt.

As Art mentioned, warranties are usually not transferrable. If the lens has a third-party extended warranty, then you would probably need the original purchase receipt for both lens and extended warranty, plus check the small print to be sure it's transferrable.

Oct 15, 2013 at 05:43 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.