Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · And the real $value of a Sale of your equipment here on FM is???????

anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · And the real $value of a Sale of your equipment here on FM is???????

I just sold a couple of boxes of damn good condition gear to KEH in service of buying my Canon refurb 5DIII. Painless. Smooth. One week turnaround from sending in the gear to having it appraised to get a check from KEH (they send checks to avoid PP fees - YAYYY). When I looked at their retail listing of the same gear I sold them, it was obvious that I had gotten from them about 55% of what they were selling those self same items for. ARGH!!

But then I began to think about it, thankfully a competency not fully having departed from me. In all told, I had 7 items to sell. Hmmm, said I, I didn't have to list each item with a description, selling details, inspection period, spend time answering questions like "is your camera body black or silver?, " a legitimate question that would easily have been answered had I "taken the time" to post up pictures. Or, spend the time necessary to answer other legitimate questions posed by potential buyers; moreover, I didn't have to worry about RETURNS: you know, "well you rated this as 9, but I disagree, it's really an 8+, so I want a refund, or, more likely, I'll keep the item, but I want an X amount return on my purchase or I'll file a PP complaint as SNAD. Grrr.

So.... no fuss, no muss, no bother with KEH. I fill out their on-line form, decide if I like the amount offered and either deny it or accept it. If I accept it, I fill out another on-line form with serial #s and sign-off on a statement that none of the items is encumbered and I'm lawfully able to sell them. Within 24 hours I get back an offer and 2 out of three of the last submissions, KEH UPGRADED the amount they were willing to pay me. I accepted.

At my going hourly consulting rate, and also figuring in the absence of the bullshite that accompanies so many private sales, I came out so far ahead of selling here or especially Fleece Bay, that, next time I have a bunch of items to sell, they are off to KEH.

Disclaimer: I am not on KEH's payroll. Just reporting the facts of my experience in service of promoting a viable selling option.

Oct 14, 2013 at 04:05 PM
vivisha
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · And the real $value of a Sale of your equipment here on FM is???????

That's good for you!

The other day I checked the price they would pay for my canon 300 2.8 IS version one and it came close to $2000. The condition of my lens is close to mint, so I tought that was really low, maybe after checking the lens they would also "upgrade" their price on it. What percentage your prices went up? how close in percentage to selling prices on FM did you get?

Oct 14, 2013 at 04:58 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · And the real $value of a Sale of your equipment here on FM is???????

My experience has been that when sending in multiple items, they offer a price marginally higher than what their quote is on-line by $100 bucks or so. Not even close to what you can get if you sell on FM, but then, of course, selling on FM subjects you to the bullshite that gets pulled by various Buyers here. So, at least to me, not having to sweat that crap has a dollar amount attached to it.

If it costs me an hour to deal with the bullshite of a potential Buyer who reneges on a deal, or otherwise obfuscates the transaction, that is $250 I could have earned for the time I'd've been able to devote to my consulting practice. Selling a single item I think there is no value in going to any of the "big buyer's," i.e., KEH, Adorama, BH. Were I to sell my 5dIII, it'd be a cold day in hell before I took an offer from KEH or anybody else, save for her on FM.

Oct 14, 2013 at 05:48 PM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · And the real $value of a Sale of your equipment here on FM is???????

Next time your got gear to sell, send it to me, I'll pay you a bit more than keh

Edited on Oct 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM · View previous versions

Oct 15, 2013 at 02:06 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · And the real $value of a Sale of your equipment here on FM is???????

Sorry, Ben

Oct 15, 2013 at 03:14 PM
GC5
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · And the real $value of a Sale of your equipment here on FM is???????

BenV is right though -- if you posted your gear here for 55% of its value, it would be gone in a heartbeat, or at least as soon as someone figured out your account hadn't been hijacked.

Oct 18, 2013 at 08:39 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · And the real $value of a Sale of your equipment here on FM is???????

It all depends on how you rate the value of your time vs. the value of cash in your pocket. I sell my stuff on Kijiji and eBay. I take lots of photos and make detailed descriptions. I don't "rate" the gear with a number or letter (e.g. 9+, M-).

My average return is about 85% of the Lens$db prices, after paying eBay and PayPal fees, for the items that get sold there. I get pretty much the same as Lens$db prices for stuff sold through Kijiji. So far, I've sold over 200 lenses.

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:05 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · And the real $value of a Sale of your equipment here on FM is???????

My time is cash in my pocket

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.