New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Homecoming...

BrianP
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Homecoming...

I shot these over the weekend. I thought that I would put them out here for any comments.

5. She just stuck him with the pin while putting the boutineer on.

Oct 14, 2013 at 01:53 PM
BrianP
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Homecoming...

A couple more...

Oct 14, 2013 at 01:56 PM
fstop212
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Homecoming...

I love the emotions in these shots. My only nitpicks are photo #1, ther faces are a bit dark, #5, the flash is a bit much (you can fix that easily) and it's a favorite of the bunch and #6, she's a bit soft (focus).
Nice job otherwise, really nice

Oct 14, 2013 at 02:06 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Homecoming...

You have some really nice shots here, they're going to love them! A couple of those are pretty romantic for Homecoming shots, but if they're BF/GF, it's probably fitting. Along those lines, No. 2 is my fave.

As for crit, a small one, No. 1, just keep them out of the splotches of sunlight under trees.

Great job!

Oct 14, 2013 at 02:24 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Homecoming...

I liked 4 and 5 ...

Oct 14, 2013 at 03:15 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Homecoming...

What Ron said
(..As for crit, a small one, No. 1, just keep them out of the splotches of sunlight under trees.)

and in #2 - another small crit - there's more light on her shoulder than face. Might be hard to manage, but do it when you can.

Loved the set. Very well done. I think the expressions are a strong point. It's always good to have your people management skills compliment your photography.

Oct 15, 2013 at 02:29 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Homecoming...

These are far better than most high school pre-dance shots I see. Where I'm from, they're typically a big scrum "organized" by a group of girls whose dates are little more than props, and parents jostle for position like that commercial for the 41 megapixel phone cam.

Minor details aside (already mentioned), these are very good.

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Homecoming...

great couple, I agree that some pics need a little more light

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:07 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Homecoming...

Great set.

However, reverse the positions of them in (3). This says to me... "it is all about him and she is unimportant". Sometimes I do this shot for weddings, but NEVER with *her* OOF.

greg

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Homecoming...

#2 is actually very romantic. I really like this one.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM
BrianP
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Homecoming...

fstop212 wrote:
I love the emotions in these shots. My only nitpicks are photo #1, ther faces are a bit dark, #5, the flash is a bit much (you can fix that easily) and it's a favorite of the bunch and #6, she's a bit soft (focus).
Nice job otherwise, really nice

Thank you for your comments. After you pointed it out, I see what you are talking about in #1.

The flash photo was actually natural light. I think it is slightly overexposed. This can easily be fixed as you said. I think the WB is slightly off too.

On #6, I think the DOF got me. It was 200mm at f/2.

Oct 15, 2013 at 02:57 PM
BrianP
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Homecoming...

friscoron wrote:
You have some really nice shots here, they're going to love them! A couple of those are pretty romantic for Homecoming shots, but if they're BF/GF, it's probably fitting. Along those lines, No. 2 is my fave.

As for crit, a small one, No. 1, just keep them out of the splotches of sunlight under trees.

Great job!

Thank you for taking the time to review them. The comment about being too romantic part probably got to me more than any of the comments. This is my daughter. I focus greatly on emotion when I shoot. This isn't the main thing that I was trying to portray. They have been dating for a while though.

I agree about the splotches. Sometimes it is difficult to let everyone be somewhat spontaneous while still controlling the lighting. I will work on this.

Edited on Oct 15, 2013 at 03:07 PM · View previous versions

Oct 15, 2013 at 02:59 PM
BrianP
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Homecoming...

saaketham wrote:
I liked 4 and 5 ...

Thank you. It is interesting how different people like different photos. No-one here actually picked my favorite!

Oct 15, 2013 at 03:00 PM
BrianP
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Homecoming...

Jim Rickards wrote:
What Ron said
(..As for crit, a small one, No. 1, just keep them out of the splotches of sunlight under trees.)

and in #2 - another small crit - there's more light on her shoulder than face. Might be hard to manage, but do it when you can.

Loved the set. Very well done. I think the expressions are a strong point. It's always good to have your people management skills compliment your photography.

I agree on #2. It is something that I can fix in post.

The emotions and natural feeling are fairly important to me, so I appreciate your comments.

Oct 15, 2013 at 03:02 PM
BrianP
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Homecoming...

Steve Wylie wrote:
These are far better than most high school pre-dance shots I see. Where I'm from, they're typically a big scrum "organized" by a group of girls whose dates are little more than props, and parents jostle for position like that commercial for the 41 megapixel phone cam.

Minor details aside (already mentioned), these are very good.

Thank you. Your description of a typical dance is fantastic. It is spot on. My daughter did one of these, and decided that she had enough. She now prefers to not do the group thing. This is why I was able to get some better pictures. Otherwise, I am normally way off to the side, since I am not willing to fight with a bunch of mothers getting the perfect spot to take a picture.

I appreciate your comments/compliment.

Oct 15, 2013 at 03:06 PM
BrianP
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Homecoming...

CW100 and Prettym1k3, thank you for your comments.

Oct 15, 2013 at 03:09 PM
BrianP
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Homecoming...

gheller wrote:
Great set.

However, reverse the positions of them in (3). This says to me... "it is all about him and she is unimportant". Sometimes I do this shot for weddings, but NEVER with *her* OOF.

greg

I actually have many more photos. I just did a random sampling. When I do this, I normally like to get one of each. Just for you, I have included the other one below!

Oct 15, 2013 at 03:10 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Homecoming...

Besides the C&C already offered, I'd add you should whiten their teeth.

Nice job, though.

Oct 15, 2013 at 05:18 PM
BrianP
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Homecoming...

CarlG wrote:
Besides the C&C already offered, I'd add you should whiten their teeth.

Nice job, though.

Thank you for the comments.

I am mixed on the whitening the teeth. It is obviously easy to do. I kind of like keeping things more natural unless there is a problem.

What do others think?

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:04 PM
RyanDuggar
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Homecoming...

I don't have much to add on what's already been said. I would pretty much say watch the sun spots and use a soft flash to fill in those eye sockets/make eyes pop and that would add to the appeal of the photos. Cute couple and they will be thrilled!

Oct 17, 2013 at 02:36 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.