Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9              13       14       end

Archive 2013 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

johnctharp
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Canon should be embarrassed by both the 50 f/1.4 and 1.8 and need to do a 50 f1.2L II ASAP.

I could go with the rumored 50/1.8 IS USM, which would likely fix everything that's wrong with both lenses, aside from providing the wider aperture.

And I was actually wanting a 50/1.2L over the weekend, both for faster shutter speeds and for smoother background rendering. It's been my impression that the 50L does work better on modern FF bodies than legacy ones, though I'm still researching that one.

My 6D-50/1.4 USM combo is more accurate than I had expected, but it still limits shutter speeds; that's where most of my failures have come from, and most of my successes, so if the 50L is at least as pliable on a 6D, then I'd bet I'd be happy with it for my 50mm. Granted it's still further down the list than a 70-200/2.8L IS II and 1.4x III.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Well my Sigmalux gives me the creamy bokeh, is accurate when combined with 5D III spot AF when shooting wide open, is sharp wide open. Sigma delivered what Canon should have many years a go. I can only assume 50 f/1.4 Art series will eventually be released.

I'd love an f/1.2, but for 3x the price I couldn't justify the extra coin and the performance is very close (AF issues aside - for both).

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Well my Sigmalux gives me the creamy bokeh, is accurate when combined with 5D III spot AF when shooting wide open, is sharp wide open. Sigma delivered what Canon should have many years a go. I can only assume 50 f/1.4 Art series will eventually be released.

I'd love an f/1.2, but for 3x the price I couldn't justify the extra coin and the performance is very close (AF issues aside - for both).

Which is good to hear- if it's accurate (once MA'd, if necessary) for 5D III spot AF, it should at least be accurate on the 6D's center point.

And yeah, it's really hard to justify the 50L; at least, until I go back and process a hundred or so shots from the 50/1.4 USM, at which point the usefulness of greater shutter speed and creamier backgrounds becomes quite evident! Still, the shutter speed issue is more of a technique issue that can be fixed, while the creamier backgrounds and wide-open sharpness would definitely be welcome.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:20 PM
MintMar
• •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

johnctharp wrote:
I could go with the rumored 50/1.8 IS USM, which would likely fix everything that's wrong with both lenses, aside from providing the wider aperture.

[snip]

It is also reported that it is going to cost more than current 50/1.4. I'm not sure that will sell well with the second hand 50/1.4 and 50/1.8 II available. Perhaps Canon will lower the insane price tags they put recently on new lenses.

I have 50/1.8 Mk1 (ok, this is more of a rarity for me than a frequently used lens), classic 50/1.4 and 35/2, and I'm going nowhere fast to replace these with the expensive USM IS versions.

Oct 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

MintMar wrote:
I'm not sure that will sell well with the second hand 50/1.4 and 50/1.8 II available.

I think new always sells well. If they make it tack sharp they'll definitely shift tens of thousands of units. Add to that how long the 50's hang around for - they remain viable for years.

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Paul Mo wrote:
I think new always sells well. If they make it tack sharp they'll definitely shift tens of thousands of units. Add to that how long the 50's hang around for - they remain viable for years.

The 35/2 IS is well sought after, despite the availability of the classic lens- and the 24/2.8 IS is quite the dream, which I have. However, the 50/1.4 does have qualities that the 35/2 doesn't- it's USM, and has decent ergonomics.

In that sense, a 50/1.8 IS would actually be more of a companion for the 50L, with likely similar background and color rendering, faster focus, and IS, and it wouldn't outright replace the 50/1.4 either. Hell, I'd get the IS version, and like you, I'd probably keep my 50/1.4- and if I had a 50/1.8 I, I'd keep that one too (I still want one!).

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

johnctharp wrote:
However, the 50/1.4 does have qualities that the 35/2 doesn't- it's USM

Only in the most who cares sense. It has fake USM that is very slow and even worse it is clutched and under-geared. All and all much worse than any Canon lens with micro-motor AF.

Oct 18, 2013 at 06:24 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Pixel Perfect wrote:
It hasn't got advanced macro function with almost zero working distance. You need to be a few cm away from the object to get to 0.7x, making it almost useless for real life critters.

You can buy a 24-105L and a real macro lens for less.

The 24-105 doesn't produce nearly the same IQ though.

The 24-70 f/4 IS can produce some critter macro, although it's certainly trickier and more limited than with say 100L or whatnot: http://sunsetbayphotography4.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v89/p1857434330-6.jpg
http://sunsetbayphotography4.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v115/p1670009266-6.jpg

Oct 18, 2013 at 06:30 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

stargazer78 wrote:
And that is why the (relatively) low price of the 24-105L poses a huge problem for the Sigma. The Canon 24-70L II and 70-200L II cost upwards of $2K, and so the Sigma versions were commercially viable because there is such a huge price difference.

On the other hand, the 24-105L has always been a tremendous bargain. Most people can get it for a mere $800 as a kit lens. In the unlikely event that Sigma is able to match the optics of the 24-105L (something Nikon couldn't accomplish last year), they would still have to undercut the Canon price by
...Show more

Nikon doesn't make a 24-105. They make a 24-120 f/4 VR which is optically less than stellar. It's performance is woeful when compared to any of the primes.

I often see the Canon 24-105 used for portraiture - I don't think Nikon's 24-120 is up to it especially with the likes of the 36MP D800.

The Sigma 24-105 will probably blow the doors off of the Nikon 24-120. I already have the 120-300 f/2.8 Sport lens from Sigma and it's a killer lens. I also have the 500mm f/4.5 EX DG HSM which delivers outstanding image quality on the D7100 and D800. No AF issues for me on either of these so far.

Sigma's USB has been criticised as 'making up for design deficiencies' but I don't believe that's the case. AF fine tuning has become more crucial as sensor resolutions have increased. Sure, Nikon and Canon offer in-body AF fine tune, but at one setting per lens which means compromising with zooms as the degree of AF fine tune needed usually varies with focal length. Sigma's USB dock overcomes this. It also allows fine tuning of speed and accuracy of the AF, and of course the ability to update firmware to deal with new camera bodies.

Whether the naysayers like it or not, Sigma has entered a new era and are now competing on a like for like (or even superior) basis on product quality with the big boys, at lower prices.

Nikon and Canon need to pay serious attention......

Oct 23, 2013 at 09:10 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

From what I've read, Sigma has Nikon AF figured out better than Canon AF, which means great things for Nikon shooters.

And yes, the USB dock isn't for correcting the little stuff, so much as it's for tuning lenses to your needs, particularly in the case of the 120-300/2.8 OS S. I'm betting we'd see similar applications for it on an updated 70-200/2.8 OS S (or A?), and their hypothetical 24-70/2.8(or 2?) OS S/A.

While I rag a little on Sigma for their AF issues, note that I really am jealous of their optics- and disappointed that I can't just go grab a 35/1.4 A and be confident that it'd focus properly on my 6D. That's what Sigma really needs to address, maybe through a reviewer campaign. Have them offer to cover the cost of three or five copies of the lenses in question from the reviewer's preferred retailer and then let them test the lot thoroughly for AF issues. Those kind of results are what I'm looking for, to be honest.

Oct 23, 2013 at 02:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Arka
• • • • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

chez wrote:
What chance are you talking about. If you have problems with AF, either exchange for another or send to Sigma to get it serviced. Up here in Canada we have a 6 year warranty on Sigma lens so I don't feel I am taking any chance at all purchasing a Sigma.

You need to stop listening to the Internet garbage and decide for yourself. Wayyyy to many parrots on the net that have exactly zero experience with the lenses, yet they are all experts on it because the Internet says so.

Amen. Sigma glass is stellar. I have a 35 and a 150 macro that are mainstays in my Nikon kit, even as I contemplate selling Nikkors I no longer use.

Oct 24, 2013 at 06:09 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Arka wrote:
Amen. Sigma glass is stellar. I have a 35 and a 150 macro that are mainstays in my Nikon kit, even as I contemplate selling Nikkors I no longer use.

+1 and agree 100%

Oct 24, 2013 at 06:15 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Hi All,

I had the opportunity to handle with one of the Sigma prototypes for this lens mounted on a 5D3 at the PhotoPlus Expo in NY today. My initial impressions...beautifully crafted though I found the manual focus ring to be too narrow for my tastes, firm and sure AF and OS switch operation, silent and spontaneous AF motor, well-balanced on this body though I found the lens to be lighter than I had imagined it would be, zoom and focus rings firm but smooth.

Unfortunately, the gentleman handing me the setup would not allow for a CF card to be inserted into the camera (something about Sigma not allowing sample images in non-final products), so I was unable to take home some sample images to peruse...rats. Sorry, Nikon fans...Sigma did not have a copy of this lens at the show for you folks to play with.

FWIW, their 24-70mm EX DG has been nearly-permanently affixed to my 5D2 for the past few years, but I walked away from that hands-on thinking, "Hmm, sacrifice an f/stop for an extra 35mm's of reach?!" She's a beaut!

Jimmy G

Oct 25, 2013 at 04:32 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

So, as I expected it's price is more than the current white-box price for the Canon 24-105. Yes the price is $250 lower than buying the lens on its own from B&H. However, the white-box deals and the NIB price on FM B&S boards is still lower than the Sigma. I expect the Sigma to likely outperform the Canon given the MTF charts and Sigma's recent lenses. So overall I think the price is a good starting point but I wouldn't doubt that it may fall a little shortly after release.

Oct 25, 2013 at 01:53 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

arbitrage wrote:
So, as I expected it's price is more than the current white-box price for the Canon 24-105. Yes the price is $250 lower than buying the lens on its own from B&H. However, the white-box deals and the NIB price on FM B&S boards is still lower than the Sigma. I expect the Sigma to likely outperform the Canon given the MTF charts and Sigma's recent lenses. So overall I think the price is a good starting point but I wouldn't doubt that it may fall a little shortly after release.

I think that the initial pricing is perfect- and with Black Friday coming soon to kick off the holiday season (in the US), that $699 optimum pricing can't be far behind, what with the standard retail discount and then sales prices.

And we still need to see just how well it focuses on Canon- the extra weight and lack of weather sealing needs to be made up by more than just great optics, it's going to have to hit it's targets.

Also interesting is the prospect of fine-tuning the lens with the dock- I'm wondering what the possibilities are going to be, and if they'll be any more comprehensive than what the 18-35/1.8 A has, given the broader focus range and appeal of this lens.

Oct 25, 2013 at 02:18 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

The price was announced today ($899) and the expected availability is November 4th, 2013

Pre-order the Sigma 24-105mm F/4 DG OS HSM Lens:
B&H Photo | Adorama

Oct 25, 2013 at 03:56 PM
leo11877
• •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

It's a great price assuming the IQ will be similar to their other "art" series lenses.

Oct 25, 2013 at 06:44 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Should sell plenty to Nikon owners. It may be a tougher sell in Canonland. If it goes $899 street, well you can find the 24-70 f/4 IS, which is MUCH smaller and lighter, for only $100-120 more at times. You can get a kitted 24-105L for like $350 less and a split kit for like $250 less if you shop around. You can get the Tamron 24-70 VC for not that much more and before you say that's a giant f/2.8 version and large and heavy even for that.... well the Sigma is an F/4 lens that is just about the same size as that f/2.8 tamron!

If it performs like the MTF hint it might not be as good as the 24-70 f/4 IS or even tamron 24-70 vc at 24mm either. If it performs super well then it might have a place in Canonland too though, especially if the price dips just a bit, some might prefer to pay a little less and get more reach even despite the size and weight vs 24-70 f/4 IS or pay a trace more for the better optics than the 24-105L. I don't have a good sense at all for how real world sigma performance matches to Sigma MTF charts.

Oct 25, 2013 at 07:03 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

I will be waiting and watching this lens carefully. I purchased several 24-105mm Canon lenses and did not like the edge performance. I then rented several from Lensrentals.com to see if I somehow had bad copies. Perhaps my standards are high but I have not seen a copy of the 24-105mm Canon yet that I personally would call a good performer.

Based upon Sigma's latest releases, this could well be a fantastic lens. We shall see.

Oct 25, 2013 at 09:48 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

It's 200g heavier, but it's 6mm shorter collapsed and only 3mm larger in diameter. Not sure size is going to be an issue .

but let's not forget the 50% premium for going up to 82mm from 77mm. Got that sticker shot looking for polarizers, and decided that I can live with 77mm for now, as anything larger is far on down the road!

Oh, and pricing and what-not is good- but seriously, very little matters till we get a range of AF reports in. If it can focus reliably on the spectrum of Canon bodies, I'm sure there will be buyers that will take Sigma's optics over Canon's lighter, weather-sealed lens. But it damn well better focus.

Oct 25, 2013 at 09:51 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password