Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11      
       13       end

Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

jj_glos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #1 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

johnctharp wrote:
In the case of a very well-built Sigma like the ones you listed being compared to a Canon L, for me at least, knowing that I can send my Canon body and Canon lens to Canon to be made perfect is absolutely a draw. While you're taking a chance with any lens, at least with Canon lenses you know that it was designed so that it could be made right, and that as good as Sigma or Tamron might be, Canon is ahead of them in that respect.

And that means that the third-party lens has to truly prove itself to
...Show more

I guess Sigmas answer to this is the USB Dock so you can do all of this yourself? I don't know how effective this has turned out to be in practice yet though? I know people have sent their body and lens into Sigma, If you had all Sigma lenses you would be in the position as with Canon?

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:08 PM
fraga
• • • •
p.12 #2 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

You can send you camera and sigma lens to sigma and they will adjust the lens specifically to the camera.

Oct 31, 2013 at 02:07 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.12 #3 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

jj_glos wrote:
I guess Sigmas answer to this is the USB Dock so you can do all of this yourself? I don't know how effective this has turned out to be in practice yet though? I know people have sent their body and lens into Sigma, If you had all Sigma lenses you would be in the position as with Canon?

Sure- and if I picked up a Sigma and had the slightest question as to focus accuracy after pounding on it with AFMA and Sigma's software, I'd send it to Sigma in a heartbeat, given how focused they are on improving their status in the community. But it's hard to imagine Sigma matching a lens to a Canon camera than Canon matching a Canon lens to a Canon camera.

On the subject of the Dock- it's an incredible tool, given that it can both manage a len's profiles and update firmware, but it's not going to fix a lens that can't consistently focus outright. It can help a lot of course, as some people have found, and it would be indispensable for any of their zooms, but it's not the solution that many were hoping it to be .

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.12 #4 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

johnctharp wrote:
Sure- and if I picked up a Sigma and had the slightest question as to focus accuracy after pounding on it with AFMA and Sigma's software, I'd send it to Sigma in a heartbeat, given how focused they are on improving their status in the community. But it's hard to imagine Sigma matching a lens to a Canon camera than Canon matching a Canon lens to a Canon camera.

On the subject of the Dock- it's an incredible tool, given that it can both manage a len's profiles and update firmware, but it's not going to fix a lens that can't
...Show more

You have not even owned or used the Dock

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:33 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.12 #5 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
You have not even owned or used the Dock

The dock's cheap .

The lenses that would make use of it? Not so much .

Nov 01, 2013 at 01:06 AM
goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #6 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

this may have been covered but I haven't followed the whole thread:

is this lens weather sealed like the 24-105L?

Nov 01, 2013 at 01:38 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.12 #7 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

goosemang wrote:
this may have been covered but I haven't followed the whole thread:

is this lens weather sealed like the 24-105L?

It is not.

Nov 01, 2013 at 01:53 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.12 #8 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

LensTip posted some samples:
http://www.lenstip.com/2065-news-Sigma_A_24-105_mm_f_4_DG_OS_HSM_-_sample_images.html

Nov 01, 2013 at 02:20 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.12 #9 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Fred Miranda wrote:
LensTip posted some samples:
http://www.lenstip.com/2065-news-Sigma_A_24-105_mm_f_4_DG_OS_HSM_-_sample_images.html

That's not so great for 21MP. There is a lot of CA at 24mm and some mushy edges/corners even at f/8. The mid-zoom is better, but still not what I'd like at f/8, and then 105 seems weaker again. Is it just me or this not the lens for the A7r?

EBH

Nov 01, 2013 at 02:40 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.12 #10 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

EB-1 wrote:
That's not so great for 21MP. There is a lot of CA at 24mm and some mushy edges/corners even at f/8. The mid-zoom is better, but still not what I'd like at f/8, and then 105 seems weaker again. Is it just me or this not the lens for the A7r?

EBH

I guess we'll have to wait for more testing. But, I am not seeing anything that looks spectacular. Though, lens tip has let me down before and some of their test shots did not do then lens in question any favors.

Nov 01, 2013 at 02:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.12 #11 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Oh dear, Houston we have a problem. While I'll reserve judgment on sharpness for now, the corner performance looks nothing special. Based on this result the 24-105L has nought to worry about. Let's hope the box was dropped by UPS on the way to lenstip and it's entirely a dud.

Ok on looking at more images maybe a bit harsh. Some are pretty decent in the corners, but softness is a worry and I don't think that's jpg issue. The Sony is capable of very sharp jpg's SOOC. Barrel distortion looks a lot lower than 24-105L @ 24mm.

Definitely need more testing and RAWs.

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:05 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.12 #12 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Boy do those images look soft all over the place. I concur the 24-105L has nothing to worry about.

Edited on Nov 01, 2013 at 03:17 AM · View previous versions

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:15 AM
stargazer78
• •
p.12 #13 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

I don't know why people are complaining about the samples at lenstip. Remember, those were out-of-camera JPEGs with sharpening set to the absolute minimum. All things considered, I thought the samples looked promising.

24mm @ f8 = soft corners, high amount of CA. Reminds me a lot of the 24-105L. But I don't think it has nearly as much barrel distortion, which is a plus.

50mm @ f8 = corner to corner sharp, no CA at all. Not surprising, since it's right at the sweet spot of the zoom range.

105mm @ f8 = corner to corner sharp, with mild CA.

I also looked at a few wide-open shots @f4, and they had good center sharpness. All in all, the lens might prove to be a slight upgrade over the 24-105L, which is currently the best lens of its class.

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:16 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.12 #14 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Really have to wait until the lens can get tested on the same target as a 24-105L, same camera, tripod etc.... Right now there are too many variables to make solid conclusions.

Nov 01, 2013 at 03:21 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.12 #15 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

I kinda feel sorry for sigma. Looks like a dud. Oh well Sigma time to focus all of your energy on a 50mm 1.4 art. No need to waste any more time on this dog... Snarky of course.

Nov 01, 2013 at 04:12 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.12 #16 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Wow, this thing looks truly hideous (hyperbole of course, but it certainly doesn't match the best standard zooms and some of them cost barely more or even less). Maybe I was reading their MTF charts correctly.

(To be fair though, lenstips may just be clueless in to how to actually get sharp shots real world though. Has anyone noticed and been shocked that even from Canon that most early samples from bodies and lenses look like garbage? I don't know why on earth they hand out the cameras to who they do to toss out the first shots to the net, must be connections The people who get their hands on them first seem toss out shots at ISO100 that look like they had ISO25,600 NR applied and then even under the simplest conditions all the shots will be OOF or motion blurred. I don't get it. Seems like terrible publicity. And then when the equipment gets a general release, any old random joe blow in the forums suddenly produces 10x better results.)

Assuming they took the pics correctly though man. I mostly just looked at the 24mm shots, but my first thought was 24-105 and that's not a good thought, in fact my first thought was I'm not sure this is even as good as the 24-105, maybe it's more like the 28-135 IS.

Canon's 24-70 f/4 IS and 24-70 II utterly destroy what I see from these 24mm samples. Heck the Tamron 24-70 VC does too. Even my tamron 28-75 that cost me $325 does way better at 28mm, certainly stopped down, than I see from these 24mm samples here. And the crazy thing is some of those lenses are f/2.8 too and yet they are either same size and weight or even less than this sigma!

The 24-70 f/4 IS is like half the size and weight almost and I've seen for it sale for only $100 more than the price announced for this sigma and the 24mm quality on the Canon looks WORLDs better, especially stopped down.

The 24-105 can be had, new, split from kit for like $250+ less than this sigma! And it's smaller and lighter too!

Unless lenstip just made a disaster of their shots (maybe forgetting to set MFA, forgetting to turn the AF on ) or they got a bad copy this looks like a lens that only a Nikon or Sony user might want.

Sigma appears to have a gem with their 35 1.4 but sadly this one looks to be quite possibly a real dud, at least as far as a Canon user would be concerned. But it's too early to be absolutely sure though.

Nov 01, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Legion5
• •
p.12 #17 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

johnctharp wrote:
As much as I'm excited to see new Sigma glass- this is one tough cookie to understand. I mean, who is this lens for? What market segment?

For those of us with the 24-105L, we understand that it is one of the best all-around lenses on the market- and it's ~$600 price in a kit is outright unbeatable. Further, the Sigma is going to be heavier and larger- both advantages to Canon in a walk-around/utility lens- and the Canon is weather-sealed, with very good AF speed, accuracy, and consistency.

So what does this Sigma bring to the table? We can surely expect
...Show more

You know not every photographer cares about price. If this lens indeed has better IQ than the Canon than I'd pay double what they are asking.

I go out of my way to purchase a large number copies for each lens I get and keep the best one and I have not had a single problem with Sigma's autofocus in their newer lenses. Not a single problem out of 12 copies (4 each) purchased of the 18-35mm f/1.8, 35mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4. I've also purchased a used Sigma 85mm f/1.4 to test it out before buying new and it had focusing issues, but only because it had the older version of the autofocus chip. When I had the newer autofocus chip installed after talking to Sigma's representatives as part of reselling the lens, all the autofocus issues went away. Sigma does not have autofocus issues in their newer lenses, period. Out of 13 copies tested with the newer autofocus chips, none had the slightest issues, and each focused with pinpoint accuracy every single time.

The Canon 24-70mm/4L IS delivers image quality that is extremely poor around 50mm, it's so bad at this range that overall when I tested a copy against my 24-105mm the newer lens actually had worse overall image quality (although I figured out after talking to reviewers with more copies that my 24-105mm was a good version and the 24-70mm was slightly below average).

The Tamron 24-70mm VC is a nice lens, but here we are comparing a 24-105mm lens vs a 24-70mm lens, there is a big difference. I have a large collection of very high quality primes, and I still use the 24-105mm most often on my body because of it's flexibility. I have a Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 II, and still this happens. So what is most important is flexibility and image quality and if Sigma can help me improve one or the other without a tradeoff, then I'm sold.

Nov 02, 2013 at 12:58 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.12 #18 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Legion5 wrote:
You know not every photographer cares about price. If this lens indeed has better IQ than the Canon than I'd pay double what they are asking.

I go out of my way to purchase a large number copies for each lens I get and keep the best one and I have not had a single problem with Sigma's autofocus in their newer lenses. Not a single problem out of 12 copies (4 each) purchased of the 18-35mm f/1.8, 35mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4. I've also purchased a used Sigma 85mm f/1.4 to test it out before buying new and it had
...Show more

It seems less likely though looking at the lenstip samples. It'll be lucky to even match the 24-105 it appears (while costing more and weighing more and using more expensive filters and being a bit larger too).

Nov 02, 2013 at 01:53 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.12 #19 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Legion5 wrote:

When it comes to having the right tool for the right job, I completely understand. Photography isn't my only hobby, after all .

As for the Sigmas, you're referencing a 'newer autofocus chip'. That's not something I've heard about, can you elaborate a little?

Nov 02, 2013 at 02:48 AM
AnthonyRay
• •
p.12 #20 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

I think I'm going to give Sigma the benefit of the doubt regarding the Lenstip photos. (yikes!). There could be a lot of reasons for the lackluster showing - the body not playing nice with the lens, needing MFA, or just a bad copy. I could also point you to a horrific example from a 70-200 f2.8 L IS II on Lenstip as well. This is a brand new lens after all - and this is probably as close to pre-production as it can get.

I've really grown fond of Sigma lenses - and even more so now that I've moved to FF and started getting some L lenses! I really don't see Sigma attempting something that's so squarely aimed at Canon's "go-to standard" if they weren't confident it would eat it alive.

I'm not sure it would get me to swap my 24-105 L anytime soon no matter how good it is, but who knows. I was crazy enough to turn down a 24-70 f2.8 L II today, so nobody should listen to anything I've got to say!

Nov 02, 2013 at 09:20 PM
       13       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

13       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password