Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       12       13       14       end

Archive 2013 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

I've gotten tired of defending 3rd party glass around here. Most people just quietly make their purchases and get on with it, but some people jump in at every opportunity to bash these alt products based on (or maybe not) their experience even in the face of evidence others are 100% happy and have never experienced problems. And even worse ignore similar and in some cases widespread problems with Canon's own offerings.

I've seen it said plenty of times in this forum and others that people would flat out never touch a third party lens no matter how good. One person once called those people that did buy third party glass cheapskates; willing to pay good money for a camera but trying to save a few bucks on the lenses.

Oct 29, 2013 at 06:08 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

I saved quite a few bucks on my Samyang 14/2 versus a 14L II .

But yeah, you can respect third party glass all you want- just don't ever let people here know what you found when you researched them, they get offended!

(and no, I'm not providing a research paper for stuff immediately found on this forum, thanks!)

Oct 29, 2013 at 09:39 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

What can be found "immediately" on this forum is a review by 19 fellow photographers giving the new 35mm art lens a 9.7 rating, which is quite high.

Read for yourself:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=440&sort=7&cat=38&page=2

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

galenapass wrote:
What can be found "immediately" on this forum is a review by 19 fellow photographers giving the new 35mm art lens a 9.7 rating, which is quite high.

Read for yourself:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=440&sort=7&cat=38&page=2

I just gave it another 10 on the review page

Oct 29, 2013 at 03:44 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I've gotten tired of defending 3rd party glass around here. Most people just quietly make their purchases and get on with it, but some people jump in at every opportunity to bash these alt products based on (or maybe not) their experience even in the face of evidence others are 100% happy and have never experienced problems. And even worse ignore similar and in some cases widespread problems with Canon's own offerings.

I've seen it said plenty of times in this forum and others that people would flat out never touch a third party lens no matter how good. One
...Show more

It is a hard sell for those of us who have had so many problems with Sigma lenses for 25+ years. Things like the front end just falling apart, coating coming off, AF failing after 3 weeks of use and Sigma claiming that it was abuse, AF being totally unacceptable, etc. are not what I want to put up with thousands of miles from a camera shop. Some of the newer Sigmas are more expensive than in the past and I hope better built.

FWIW, I was burned by being in on the first order of the Canon 24-105 (missing baffle) that needed to be exchanged. However, that is the only Canon lens needing repair other than for cleaning or the tripod collar. I've also had over two dozen Nikkors with only one minor failure and no critical failures.

EBH

Oct 30, 2013 at 01:47 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

I've owned 5 Sigma lenses, still have 3 and never had an issue. Two of my Canon lenses have need fixing for decentering.

We can use statistics anyway we like when our sample sizes are so low.

Oct 30, 2013 at 02:13 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

EB-1 wrote:
It is a hard sell for those of us who have had so many problems with Sigma lenses for 25+ years. Things like the front end just falling apart, coating coming off, AF failing after 3 weeks of use and Sigma claiming that it was abuse, AF being totally unacceptable, etc. are not what I want to put up with thousands of miles from a camera shop. Some of the newer Sigmas are more expensive than in the past and I hope better built.

FWIW, I was burned by being in on the first order of the Canon 24-105
...Show more

I had horrible luck with Canon hi8 camcorders and EOS SLR bodies, they were the best technology wise but man hideous reliability and my 70-300 non-L had to be sent back for recall and I don't even need to mention the 50 1.4 EF. But I have had zero problems with EOS DSLR bodies or any other lenses (and both of those got fixed for free, the 70-300 and 50).

Oct 30, 2013 at 02:14 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Pixel Perfect wrote:

And that is the challenge for those of us looking very closely at Sigma lenses, or any other third party manufacturer. Samyang I can handle- that keeps it simple, and those don't replace a Canon lens.

But if it's in place of an OEM lens, especially for an amateur, it certainly doesn't take too many testimonies by people like EB-1 to push you away from potentially sharper/cheaper glass toward potentially more reliable glass. It's always a gamble, but that's definitely the position I've been in.

Oct 30, 2013 at 02:42 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

If Sigma releases a new 50mm 1.4 I will be all over it and hey if it has OS, even better. This lens just has no appeal to me as I love the canon 24-105. Sigma can make great lenses.

Oct 30, 2013 at 02:58 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I've owned 5 Sigma lenses, still have 3 and never had an issue. Two of my Canon lenses have need fixing for decentering.

Fully agree.

I have owned three sigma lenses (120-300 OS, 85 1.4 and 105 OS macro) and all three are very well built (better than some canon lenses in fact), focus perfectly and are very, very sharp.
I also owned a tamron 28-75. Slow focusing and average build quality, but very good optically. Never gave me a problem.
On the other hand, I've had several problems with canon lenses, including L's.
And including a big white (300 2.8IS, bought brand new, was soft and had low contrast).

I've noticed that when many people have problems with a canon lens, specially an L, they downplay it.
When it's a third party lens, they complain and complain and complain.
Many are much more forgiving towards canon gear, which is, IMHO, unfair.

This reminds me of when I used to attend to (and photograph) local amateur moto X races.
Living on a small island, I quickly noticed most people were very biased towards japanese motorcycles.
When there was an engine failure with an european brand, people immediately criticized it for not being reliable.
When it was a japanese brand, it was just, well, bad luck...
Once there were even three engine failures on the same day from the same japanese manufacturer, and no one pointed out reliability as the factor. Some talked about very bad luck, others about a big coincidence and some claimed the local dealer's fault.
Not once was the reputation of the manufacturer at stake...

Top of the line sigma lenses are very good, IMHO.
Their lower line (cheaper lenses) leaves a lot to be desired (particularly older ones), have bad build quality and are indeed prone do mechanical failure, but then again, one has to consider the price sigma asks for them, since in some cases, you can find filters which actually cost more.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnctharp
• • • •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

In the case of a very well-built Sigma like the ones you listed being compared to a Canon L, for me at least, knowing that I can send my Canon body and Canon lens to Canon to be made perfect is absolutely a draw. While you're taking a chance with any lens, at least with Canon lenses you know that it was designed so that it could be made right, and that as good as Sigma or Tamron might be, Canon is ahead of them in that respect.

And that means that the third-party lens has to truly prove itself to be a universal alternative to an OEM lens, and that's the bar that's been set for this 24-105/4 OS | A.

Oct 30, 2013 at 07:06 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

It starts to get pretty boring and tiresome to see the same person make 20 posts in each Sigma thread, why we should buy Canon instead of Sigma and other third party lenses

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:46 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
It starts to get pretty boring and tiresome to see the same person make 20 posts in each Sigma thread, why we should buy Canon instead of Sigma and other third party lenses

Yup. While I think some healthy questions and in depth reviews are valid to ensure that the new products meet expectations, this one-sided 'research' with no/little actual use is a quite pointless. Best to present facts and informed user opinions and let others make up their own mind about a purchase.

I won't be looking at this new lens, already have a Canon version. But, when I'm in the market for a fast prime, the Sigma 35 is at the top of the list. The 18-35 is also the next option for me if I decide to stay with crop cameras.

Oct 30, 2013 at 09:50 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Doubt the 24-105 OS will be on my radar unless it's appreciably better than the 24-105L, as I have the 24-70 mk II as well.

More interested in the rumours of a 135 f/1.8 OS at this stage and praying they get around to releasing a very high quality 100-400/500 f/5.6 Sport series, sooner rather than later.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Pixel Perfect wrote:
More interested in the rumours of a 135 f/1.8 OS at this stage and praying they get around to releasing a very high quality 100-400/500 f/5.6 Sport series, sooner rather than later.

I'd be very interested in both of those, especially if they keep the size/weight of the long telezoom in check .

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:08 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Doubt the 24-105 OS will be on my radar unless it's appreciably better than the 24-105L, as I have the 24-70 mk II as well.

the rumors suggest they have 300 2.8 OS and 400 2.8 OS prime super-teles as the next to arrive

Oct 31, 2013 at 04:22 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Pixel Perfect wrote:
More interested in the rumours of a 135 f/1.8 OS...

With 1:1 macro!

Oct 31, 2013 at 04:24 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Paul Mo wrote:
With 1:1 macro!

Now that'd be a coup

Oct 31, 2013 at 04:30 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Lasse Eriksson wrote:

But, it becomes interesting when you ask yourself what the motivation might be. It reminds me of posts on a Yahoo investment chat board where people (sometimes one person under many aliases) show up just to negatively bash a stock...and they do so in a very persistent way. Often the comments made are shallow and lacking any fact based merit. In this case it's as though someone is being paid to spread disinformation and they are doing so in the quickest way possible - making emotional, baseless claims - and then moving on. Why post any facts or links that support what you are saying when your goal is just to sling mud? Mission accomplished...next.

The internet is a powerful advertising tool and "reviews" and opinions do sway the consumer. My next door neighbor makes a living writing "reviews" of products that have never touched her hands. Sometimes they are positive, and sometimes they are negative.

Oct 31, 2013 at 05:33 AM
MintMar
• •
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

I don't pay much attention to Sigma bashers. While I don't have exactly stellar experience with their DC lenses (my 17-70 was one of the first, and is really soft on wide end, and this and Sigma 10-20 required AF calibration), I have very good experience with their DG lenses.

I bought the first model 24-70/2.8 for few bucks just to see how a f/2.8 constant zoom ending at 24mm would work with an APS-C camera. It focused very well on my 30D, and stayed in the arsenal for some considerable time. It had only two big weaknesses, pronounced flare and slow micromotor focusing. I replaced it with 24-70L after some years.

I bought Sigma 15-30 which is still the UWA of my choice when using non-1.6 crop camera. Still wider than any fullframe non-fisheye zoom lens Canon produces. Which is great for us APS-H users. Very sharp for the price.

Then there is 24/1.8, sitting conveniently one stop above 24-70L and one stop below 24L, for a lot of saved bucks. Also, very good bang for the buck. It removed my Pentax-envy for their 24/2

So, I think I have to say Sigma is also a very viable option, to fill price and performance gaps Canon has not occupied.

Oct 31, 2013 at 09:16 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password