Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              13       14       end

Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

popinvasion wrote:
Mine at 24 is not that bad.

@ 24mm the 24-105Lhas very large barrel distortion, you can even see it in the VF when you have straight horizons with significant curvature. It's close to 4% and about double the 24-70 mk II. Also while it's decently sharp it's clearly not tack sharp like the 24-70 II. Improvements on distortion and a bit of extra resolution would make it superb all rounder. As it is I've still kept my 24-105L despite having the 24-70 II, due to the IS and very useful extra 35mm.

Oct 14, 2013 at 09:49 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

As much as I'm excited to see new Sigma glass- this is one tough cookie to understand. I mean, who is this lens for? What market segment?

For those of us with the 24-105L, we understand that it is one of the best all-around lenses on the market- and it's ~$600 price in a kit is outright unbeatable. Further, the Sigma is going to be heavier and larger- both advantages to Canon in a walk-around/utility lens- and the Canon is weather-sealed, with very good AF speed, accuracy, and consistency.

So what does this Sigma bring to the table? We can surely expect the optics to be an improvement over the Canon- the same as we'd expect from Canon if they were to replace their current, aging 24-105L with a ver. II- but is that it? It's not going to be cheaper, not by a long-shot. That's not the Sigma way. And again, what about AF? For every person that claims that their Sigma lenses all work perfectly, there's a legion that find unmitigated issues with them; and that's after you weed out the people that can't actually use a camera.

Now, with that laid out, I'll attempt to answer my question- this lens is for either a) those that did not get Canon's kit lens and need something just as versatile, over the other available options, or b) those that need something sharper. Sigma's OS is likely going to be more effective than the two-generation-old IS in the Canon lens, so that's a minor plus.

To me, this lens' appeal comes down to cost; it must be cost competitive with the 24-105L, in the same vein as the S35/1.4A is cost competitive with the 35L. Which means that it must fall into the $600-$800 range, and not the $1300-$1500 range of the 24-70/4L and 24-70/2.8 VC, which it's also competing with. It targets far too small of the market to be a success for Sigma if the price isn't one of it's qualities.

As an aside- where the hell are Sigma's cameras? Sigma keeps going nearly all-out with new lenses, but their failings reside largely in their lack of effective AF-algorithm reverse-engineering faculties to allow their lenses to match the performance of the OEM lenses that they're trying to compete with. But they themselves do have outstanding sensor technology- if only they'd actually develop it into something worthwhile. Give us a 30-40 million photosite FoveonX3 full-frame sensor in a body competitive with Pentax's new K3, and suddenly they'd be the golden child of the market.

Oct 14, 2013 at 09:53 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

skibum5 wrote:
The MTF looks potentially fairly poor at 24mm (as in a tiny bit better center frame than the 24-105L but maybe similar at the edges?). I don't know how Sigma MTF charts translate to real world very well though. Maybe it will do very well.

It needs to match the 24-70 f/4 IS and not just the 24-105 IS if it is to sell and it actually needs to outdo the 24-105 IS, since those are so cheap now and sealed

Sigma MTF are real, not calculated. At least not in "new Sigma".

Just for "Art" it seems to be bit slow..

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM
maholyoak

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

885g / 31.2oz!

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:17 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Dont assume this was made purely for use on canon..

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM
fsiagian
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Now, bring the 135mm 1.8 Art on

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Rickuz
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

fsiagian wrote:
Now, bring the 135mm 1.8 Art on

And 14-24 + all other lenses that Canon refuse to give us.

I'm still greatly thankful for the marvelous Sigma 35.. WHO knows how long it'll be before the 35L II comes out? I don't even care any more.

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

RobDickinson wrote:

Bingo...

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Tony B
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

RobDickinson wrote:

+1.

Edited on Oct 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Their website with info on the new Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art was just taken down:
http://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/cas/product/art/a_24_105_4

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hijazist
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

They read all the unjustified bashing & complaints so they changed their minds

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

I couldn't find any mention of it on sigma-usa.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

chez wrote:
What chance are you talking about. If you have problems with AF, either exchange for another or send to Sigma to get it serviced. Up here in Canada we have a 6 year warranty on Sigma lens so I don't feel I am taking any chance at all purchasing a Sigma.

You need to stop listening to the Internet garbage and decide for yourself. Wayyyy to many parrots on the net that have exactly zero experience with the lenses, yet they are all experts on it because the Internet says so.

Sorry, but you sound a little like the gang on the Nikon forum that are trying to say the D600 never had any oil issues, it was all just internet garbage. Funny that Nikon agreed with all that 'garbage' and released a new model with the sole purpose of fixing the non-existent issue.

Similarly, Sigma has added new features to fix AF and firmware since they had so many issues in the past. Is it hard to understand that some who were burnt on lenses don't want to go through that again? A lot of people don't want the hassle of sending defective gear for repair. If they feel more comfortable with a Canon product, why do you care?

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:17 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

jctriguy wrote:
If they feel more comfortable with a Canon product, why do you care?

I can tell you why I care- I want a better option than what Canon is willing to dole out over time. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, and even Samyang have been putting in real effort recently, but none of them are really firing on all cylinders, yet.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

RobDickinson wrote:

Exactly! The lens is squarely geared to Nikon owners that haven't been able to scratch this itch and have been using the "okay" 24-120mm VR. If this lens is a lot better than that 24-120, it should score well for Nikon owners. Tied for second are probably both Canon curious and Sony under-served.

I'm very happy with my 24-105L, and can't complain about its imaging on 1DS3 and 5D2.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:25 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

jctriguy wrote:
Sorry, but you sound a little like the gang on the Nikon forum that are trying to say the D600 never had any oil issues, it was all just internet garbage. Funny that Nikon agreed with all that 'garbage' and released a new model with the sole purpose of fixing the non-existent issue.

Similarly, Sigma has added new features to fix AF and firmware since they had so many issues in the past. Is it hard to understand that some who were burnt on lenses don't want to go through that again? A lot of people don't want the hassle of
...Show more

I really don't care what lens other people purchase...it's their money and their choice. I was addressing this "risk" myth out there when purchasing a Sigma lens. There is zero risk...if the lens does not work properly you can either exchange the lens where you purchased it or you can send it to Sigma to get it fixed for up to 6 years after you purchase it. I don't see any risk at all...trying to clear up all the hyperbole that seems to swirl around the Internet.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:27 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Sigma's smart. Don't include the weather sealing so they could sell cheaper. I mean, the general person buying lenses doesn't really need weather sealing. It's only the people who shoot in the rain, in snow, in really drastic climates or conditions who need that.

I'd really like to see Sigma come out with a good 200/2 lens that's cheaper than the Nikon and Canon version, but just as sharp with the same DOF (say, for $4,000 retail).

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM
jctriguy
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

johnctharp wrote:
I can tell you why I care- I want a better option than what Canon is willing to dole out over time. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, and even Samyang have been putting in real effort recently, but none of them are really firing on all cylinders, yet.

I agree, Canon has been so tardy in releasing new lenses. I think they are only doing 5+ a year for the last 5 years.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

Sigma released a dock because well.. They are known for this problem. The dock basically admitted that they know their reputation. Good on them. Listening to customers is smart biz.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:49 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Pre-order: Sigma 24-105mm f/4 OS Art for $899

MazeRunner wrote:
Sigma's smart. Don't include the weather sealing so they could sell cheaper. I mean, the general person buying lenses doesn't really need weather sealing. It's only the people who shoot in the rain, in snow, in really drastic climates or conditions who need that.

It doesn't have to be 'downpour' sealing, but basic weather sealing should really be a part of every camera and lens made, in my opinion. Not elaborate, of course, and it's not like non-sealed lenses can't take a little abuse- my 60D (with some weather sealing) and 15-85 were both fine in light rain, and really, that's all I'm asking for.

Just remember that this lens is aimed squarely at the 'utility' lens market, similar to the 17-70/2.8-4 OS C, except that it's full-frame, and it's bargain-priced competitors are also sealed.

Oct 15, 2013 at 01:04 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password