Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Guy at park shooting bride and groom with fong dong.

popinvasion
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Guy at park shooting bride and groom with fong dong.

So this cocky dude strolls into the park strutting a 5DMK2 and a 24-70. Mounted on top a flash pointed towards the sky, with a fong dong also pointed toward the sky. He was a good 8ft away from the couple and just kept firing away. I really can't fathom what he was trying to accomplish. Just had to share.

Edited on Oct 14, 2013 at 12:43 AM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:08 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Guy at park shooting bride and groom with fong dong.

Granted he's putting the vast majority of his light, not on his subject and he isn't going to be getting any bounce off the ceiling/walls. But, he may still have some small amount of light projecting toward the subject. Was it a "clear" one that would allow some specular light to project toward the subject, or was it a more diffuse "white" one? Did he have a "chrome dome" mounted in it?

Is it possible that he may not be using the flash for exposure purposes, but to provide a reflective catch light in their eyes only (while shooting them in open shade that would not) or to give a little "twinkle" to specular aspects of the jewelry/dress. Or maybe it is just enough to add a "kiss" of white light to help with color balance in shadow areas without impacting exposure or creating much of a "flash" shadow.

Just a bit of brainstorming ... sometimes it is the oddest little thing that we do, that makes a diff at what we achieve. As such, I'm inclined to wonder if maybe he had a reason for the "madness", before I fully discount it as utter foolishness.

Edited on Oct 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:21 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Guy at park shooting bride and groom with fong dong.

RustyBug wrote:
Granted he's putting the vast majority of his light, not on his subject and he isn't going to be getting any bounce off the ceiling/walls. But, he may still have some small amount of light projecting toward the subject. Was it a "clear" one that would allow some specular light to project toward the subject, or was it a more diffuse "white" one?

Is it possible that he may not be using the flash for exposure purposes, but to provide a reflective catch light in their eyes only (while shooting them in open shade that would not) or to give a
...Show more

Good points. He was using a frosted or smokey colored one. He was pretty far away from the couple and shooting down on them. It was a bright day. I honestly have no clue how he thought he was getting light to his subject.

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:42 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Guy at park shooting bride and groom with fong dong.

popinvasion wrote:
So this cocky dude strolls into the park strutting a 5DMK2 and a 24-70. Mounted on top a flash pointed towards the sky, with a fong dong also pointed toward the sky. He was a good 8ft away from the couple and just kept firing away. I really can't fathom what he was trying to accomplish.

I suppose it's possible that he was doing as Rusty suggests, but 99 times out of 100 (my made-up statistics, of course) it's some Bozo who doesn't have a clue how things work. The Gary Fong advertisements say the LightSphere will give soft light, so -- come Hell or high water -- they're going to shoot with the LightSphere.

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:44 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Guy at park shooting bride and groom with fong dong.

Gotcha.

+1 @ I'm probably with Brian @ the >99% ... but for those who are in the <1%, I try to keep an open mind to understanding what is happening with the light, so I tried to consider something that "might" be viable to a degree.

Now I'm gonna have to go do some testing with my rarely used Fong. Maybe I can use it to put a twinkle in Bambi's eye from 100 yards.

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Guy at park shooting bride and groom with fong dong.

Here's what I want to know: was his flash set to Manual power or -- Heaven forbid -- ETTL.

Edited on Oct 14, 2013 at 12:54 AM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:54 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Guy at park shooting bride and groom with fong dong.

RustyBug wrote:
Gotcha.

I'm probably with Brian @ the >99% ... but for those who are in the <1%, I try to keep an open mind to understanding what is happening with the light. Now I'm gonna have to go do some testing with my rarely used Fong. Maybe I can use it to put a twinkle in Bambi's eye from 100 yards.

I would like to know I have a diy fong from a while back I might have to pull it out on a sunny day just to see what happens.

popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Guy at park shooting bride and groom with fong dong.

BrianO wrote:
Here's what I want to know: was his flash set to Manual power or --Heaven forbid -- ETTL.

Absolutely TTL.

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Guy at park shooting bride and groom with fong dong.

Manual and shade might be plausible @ specular highlight, but ETTL & Fong @ Sunny 16 ...

Yeah, that would probably define Bozo @ >99%.

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:57 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Guy at park shooting bride and groom with fong dong.

popinvasion wrote:
Absolutely TTL.

OMG! His battery salesman must love him!

Oct 14, 2013 at 01:17 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Guy at park shooting bride and groom with fong dong.

If you buy a tupperware piece to improve your lighting, chances are you'll use it as they instruct, regardless of the actual results on your LCD.

Oct 15, 2013 at 04:02 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Guy at park shooting bride and groom with fong dong.

Did you ask him to check out his photos and/or website? ^^

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:23 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Guy at park shooting bride and groom with fong dong.

Yep I see these folks all the time at the park...
They probably laughed at me because I didn't use a Fong...

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:27 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.