Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · HS Football Pricing Question

jcbradshaw
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Football Pricing Question

I have been shooting HS football for several years, making a few bucks, but not a lot. I have been asked by one mom about providing about 40-50 images of her son so she can build a book on Shutterfly or similar site. (No problem coming up with that many. He is the subject of a lot of them.) My normal prices are as follows:

Prints:
4x6 $9
5x7 $11
8x10 $17

Digital Files:
640x480 $4
800x600 $9
1024x768 $15
Full res $40

Obviously I am not going to charge her $40 per image, or $1600-$2000. So what would you charge for this?

Thanks,
Jeff

Oct 13, 2013 at 08:35 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Football Pricing Question

I tend to price my prints towards who my clients are going to be. If it is a wealthy area the school draws from, I may go $7-10 for a 4x6 and around $25 for a 8x10. If it is a poorer area, around $5 for a 4x6. Digital files, small, $15-20, medium, $25-30, large, $40-50 full res, $150-200. I charge more for the full res because you sell that instead of prints that the parents may send to grandparents, siblings, godparents, etc, the digital file will be a deal, plus you give up the quality control of the printing. I would rather sell 5 prints than one digital file.

Oct 13, 2013 at 08:52 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Football Pricing Question

Carl,

I appreciate that. So what would you charge someone who wanted basically the entire season of their son in digital format for a Shutterfly book? That's 40-50 full res images. Clearly not full-price.

My area is not high-end, although this family is not poor.

Thanks,
Jeff

Oct 13, 2013 at 08:56 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Football Pricing Question

Jeff,

I my area, I would charge $250 for a bundle of photos like that that represented the whole season. I only have done something like that a few times. I have certain parents that really enjoy nice photos and we have a nice pro lab that is close where they can take a DVD in and put their own books together. For about $65, they have a quality book.

Jeff

Oct 13, 2013 at 09:22 PM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Football Pricing Question

Thanks Jeff. That is right-on what a photog friend of mine suggested. I just keyworded his photos in the three games I have covered. I have 29 so far. So with three more games, I should have just about the right amount for the mom to choose from.

Oct 13, 2013 at 09:36 PM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS Football Pricing Question

jcbradshaw wrote:
I have been shooting HS football for several years, making a few bucks, but not a lot. I have been asked by one mom about providing about 40-50 images of her son so she can build a book on Shutterfly or similar site. (No problem coming up with that many. He is the subject of a lot of them.) My normal prices are as follows:

Prints:
4x6 $9
5x7 $11
8x10 $17

Digital Files:
640x480 $4
800x600 $9
1024x768 $15
Full res $40

Obviously I am not going to charge her $40 per image, or $1600-$2000. So what would you charge for this?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff:

Your print prices look like they are just about right.

Why don't you produce the book yourself and add that as one of your products?

You could charge $350-$600.00 for the book depending on your time to design, upload and cost to produce?

The only problem is that your client knows what it will cost to do it herself.

Good luck with your project,

Lee Woolery
Speedshot

Oct 14, 2013 at 06:57 AM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS Football Pricing Question

Lee,

I am considering offering to build the book myself. The biggest hold-up is time. I have a demanding day job and other commitments. The biggest argument in favor is that I am a fanatic about cropping properly. How do I give her images cropped for all the different size/shape spaces she might need?

Thanks!
Jeff

Oct 14, 2013 at 09:41 AM
leewoolery
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS Football Pricing Question

jcbradshaw wrote:
Lee,

I am considering offering to build the book myself. The biggest hold-up is time. I have a demanding day job and other commitments. The biggest argument in favor is that I am a fanatic about cropping properly. How do I give her images cropped for all the different size/shape spaces she might need?

Thanks!
Jeff

Jeff:

Maybe there is a template where you can change and adjust cropping per picture that will not take that long.

Good luck,

Lee Woolery
Speedshot

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM
jcbradshaw
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS Football Pricing Question

Now I just need time to find one and think about all this, lol.

Thanks!

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.