Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Will Leica ASPH work better on M8 than Pre-ASPH?

pdt0102

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Will Leica ASPH work better on M8 than Pre-ASPH?

I'm debating and don't know if a 35 Cron ASPH will work better than the Cron Ver IV on the M8? I read that it works well on the M9 or later cameras but I'm not sure it is better suite for the M8?

Oct 13, 2013 at 07:31 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Will Leica ASPH work better on M8 than Pre-ASPH?

pdt0102 wrote:
I'm debating and don't know if a 35 Cron ASPH will work better than the Cron Ver IV on the M8? I read that it works well on the M9 or later cameras but I'm not sure it is better suite for the M8?

asph will kick the version IV's ass in contrast and sharpness on any sensor. it has better bokeh than the "bokeh king" too (well at f/2 and f/2.8 probably not at f/4 and below).

Oct 13, 2013 at 09:15 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Will Leica ASPH work better on M8 than Pre-ASPH?

I suppose it all depends on what your needs are.... I really don't know much about the Version IV but I think is is one of the less sharp versions and get's a little bit glowy wide open. Stopped down, it still should hold it's own though. I have the ASPH and I think it is such a great performer. Super sharp, quite contrasty and decent bokeh. It seems half like the lens and the other half don't. You may also want to consider Version I which looks to be a great lens. It is quite pricey but very good. Check out some pics from Zhangyue... https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/920070/803
Best of luck!

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:40 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Will Leica ASPH work better on M8 than Pre-ASPH?

Gary, thanks I love my 35cron V1.
Here is my thought, I never used IV, but based on MTF, V1 and ASPH are both stronger performer for landscape that ASPH might have some advantage at extreme corner before f8. But V1's mid frame performance stop down is very impressive, might even better than ASPH from the graph.
V1 has lowest distortion in all 35 M lens, this is a plus, if you shoot architecture, or city, sun, sea level etc....V1 also smaller, and lighter. however, V1's Achilles heel is flare control due to poorer coating and extreme corner before f8.....
If you shoot film, I will pick V1 definitely for its lower contrast, but for Digital, given V1's current price, I will choose ASPH.
Both lens are great tool, but I can't help feeling 'boring' to my like, which is not a bad thing so that you can focus on subject/image...

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Will Leica ASPH work better on M8 than Pre-ASPH?

Agree with zhangyue. The v4 is overrated optically, but has great handling and is tiny. For identical performance at lower cost, look at the v3. My copies live on the shelf because I don't care about f/2. For ergonomic heaven, I now prefer the Summaron, which is like a 'cron v1 with lower cost and less veiling glare.

Oct 14, 2013 at 01:25 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.