New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

lilyphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

I am in the process of switching over to the 5d3. I have a 7d and was using it at the same time as my 5d3 at last night's wedding. Thankfully I didn't miss anything key, since I had the 7d as my main body, but I've noticed a few things:

5d3 shots are underexposed
AF is not what I expected. My 7d was locking focus faster and I had a LOT more OOF shots from my 5d3 than I was expecting. I was anticipating being blown away by the performance of the AF with dance floor reception shots, but I am really disappointed. I had it on AI Servo and Case 1.
Colors on the 5d3 seem more on the warm side (too warm IMO) than the neutral side compared to my 7d.

Do I have a lemon or is there just a big learning curve coming from the 7d?

Oct 13, 2013 at 04:08 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

Except for the colors, that's about the inverse of my experiences with these two cameras, so something doesn't quite add up.

There are too many variables that could have influenced your results; I'd advise doing some formal testing with the cameras in known common configurations to be certain this is repeatable. Also, make sure you have calibrated your lenses to your body before evaluating AF performance.

Re. colors and WB: were you shooting JPEG or RAW? If JPEG (or processing your RAWs in DPP), your two cameras should produce very close results if using common Picture Style and WB settings. If you were using LightRoom or ACR, your results can certainly vary based on the camera profile in use. (When using ACR, I favor Adobe's profile for the 7D and its "Camera Standard" profile for the 5-series models. The colors aren't always identical, but the starting point in each case is pleasing.)

Oct 13, 2013 at 04:54 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

Also, if you were using flash in a dark reception venue, be aware that focus assist does not work in AI Servo, which you said you were using on the 5D3. You need to have the camera in One Shot AF for this to be helpful. If it was too dark, the camera would certainly miss shots.

Oct 13, 2013 at 04:57 PM
austin.grant
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

After buying my first 5D3, I decided to "upgrade" my backup1D3 to a 7D. It was the worst decision, and the performance of the 7D didn't hold a candle to the 5D3 (or the 1D3.) 5D3 AF was superior in every way... Acquisition speed and staying locked blew the 7D away. I can't say from your experience what may have gone wrong, but it sounds exactly opposite my experience. I ended up buying a second 5D3, and then a 1DIV. LOVE the 1DIV, but in ultra-low light the 5D3 trounces it.

Oct 13, 2013 at 05:28 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

Lens choice might also be a factor, assuming the use of an f2.8 lens which has a shallow DOF on full frame, the focus must be nailed and not as much of the frame will be within the focal plane comparable to a 7D.

There are so many factors for setting up the 5D3, but regardless of setup, it should outperform the 7D.

Oct 13, 2013 at 09:23 PM
John57

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

I've had both until recently and found the 7D was simply outperformed by the 5D3. When I had my 5D2 aspects of the 7D were clearly better - but when I changed to the Mk 3 it was a different story.

I can relate to what you say re underexposing slightly but focus speed and lock is superb on the Mk 3 and the 7D got sold to fund more glass.

I think your issue is more likely to be settings.

Oct 14, 2013 at 03:30 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

lilyphoto wrote:
I am in the process of switching over to the 5d3. I have a 7d and was using it at the same time as my 5d3 at last night's wedding. Thankfully I didn't miss anything key, since I had the 7d as my main body, but I've noticed a few things:

5d3 shots are underexposed
AF is not what I expected. My 7d was locking focus faster and I had a LOT more OOF shots from my 5d3 than I was expecting. I was anticipating being blown away by the performance of the AF with dance floor reception shots, but I
...Show more

well thats totally the opposite to my experience .
Ive not had a full chance to use the 5D3 yet but even just messing round the house and a couple of days out with the camera I can say it blows (what I thought was a very good) 7D out of the water .
AF is faster and much more accurate .

do you think you might need to MA your lenses on the 5D3?

also . I would say the exposure is a tad more accurate as well , but I wouldnt say it under exposes

Oct 14, 2013 at 03:42 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

After buying the 5D3 I sold my 7D. 5D3 is the superior camera. Jim

Oct 14, 2013 at 05:23 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

oldrattler wrote:
After buying the 5D3 I sold my 7D. 5D3 is the superior camera. Jim

Jim I think I will be doing the same .
I thought Id be keeping the 7 for those 'reach' limited times . but seeing how my 120-300 + a 2x TC was much better than the same lens with a 1.4x on my 7D I really could only see me using the 120-300 + 2x on the 7D . that wouldnt be that often and its not the greatest combo either, so much better to let it fund something else

Oct 14, 2013 at 05:35 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

I find the 5DIII amazing in low light, action, daylight, and stills... I shoot raw so can't comment on out of camera jpeg color balance. If it seems far worse than the 7D to you, I'd work with it some more. If it still isn't performing I'd exchange it or sent it to Canon for an inspection. Good point about checking MFA on the lenses.

Oct 14, 2013 at 07:58 AM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

I think my issue with the AF was that I had it on auto select all 64 points. I am changing it to manual select and cross points only, hopefully that'll give me better results. It could also be that I'm not used to the narrower DOF that you get on a full frame. I was shooting with the 35L at 2.2 (it was a very dark reception)

The AF options are so extensive, it's going to take me some time to get used to it and find the best settings.

It's definitely underexposing, and I did a Google search and found it's a very common issue.

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:03 AM
ChrisRD
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

To be honest...I'm surprised you got anything in focus using auto (all) AF point selection with a fast prime shooting moving targets in a dimly lit environment in servo mode.

Is that how you typically shoot the 7D at a reception?

Personally, I have not found the 5D3 to expose much differently than other Canon dSLRs that I have owned...but IMO in general they seem a bit 'conservative' and I often bump the EC up +2/3 if I'm using an auto exposure mode.

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:28 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

lilyphoto wrote:
It's definitely underexposing, and I did a Google search and found it's a very common issue.

In manual? What metering?

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:40 AM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

ChrisRD wrote:
To be honest...I'm surprised you got anything in focus using auto (all) AF point selection with a fast prime shooting moving targets in a dimly lit environment in servo mode.

Is that how you typically shoot the 7D at a reception?

Personally, I have not found the 5D3 to expose much differently than other Canon dSLRs that I have owned...but IMO in general they seem a bit 'conservative' and I often bump the EC up +2/3 if I'm using an auto exposure mode.

No, I don't shoot my 7d that way at receptions typically. I guess I overestimated the capabilities of the 5d3. I did switch to one shot about halfway through to use the AF assist and didn't notice much of an improvement.

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:40 AM
ChrisRD
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

I don't think it's so much that you're overestimating the capabilities of the 5D3...it sounds more like you haven't really compared them apples-to-apples yet. When you do I think you'll find the 5D3 AF to be better in difficult scenarios (not that the 7D is bad...just not as good as the 5D3...at least not IME).

Personally, I have never had any luck using all/auto point selection shooting anything except a BIF in plain blue sky...IMO that is not a setting that will work reliably with any dSLR in a crowded reception.

Edited on Oct 14, 2013 at 08:53 AM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:50 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

lilyphoto wrote:
I think my issue with the AF was that I had it on auto select all 64 points. I am changing it to manual select and cross points only, hopefully that'll give me better results. It could also be that I'm not used to the narrower DOF that you get on a full frame. I was shooting with the 35L at 2.2 (it was a very dark reception)

The AF options are so extensive, it's going to take me some time to get used to it and find the best settings.

It's definitely underexposing, and I did a Google search
...Show more

Ahhhh. That solves the focus issue. I use single point focus with surrounding to assist if the single point fails. Then I use the joystick on the fly to change to location of the focus point. Works great. Coming from the 5DII, I was tickled to death with this approach.
Underexposing... I don't see it on my camera to any significance, but then again I do not typically shoot your scenarios. If you find the metering is off, I would do as suggested and bump the exposure compensation a bit.

Edited on Oct 14, 2013 at 08:52 AM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:51 AM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

Paul Mo wrote:
In manual? What metering?

Yeah, I had it in evaluative.

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:51 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

Mmmm the All points thing may have been a bit of an error .

if you run the files thru DPP or aperture (i think) then it will show you what the point of focus was that it chose .

others will correct me if im wrong but Im pretty sure the 5D3 af will choose the CLOSEST thing in the AF frame that it will get a lock on . so maybe something else was slightly closer and it locked on that instead of what you hoped it was aiming at

I must say from my little use of the camera I think the mode i will use most is a small cluster that I can aim at my target

as for the only + type points . well yes in theory they will be better but you have to remember that a single axis point can be just as good if it has a line of contrast crossing it .

Oct 14, 2013 at 08:58 AM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

dgdg wrote:
Ahhhh. That solves the focus issue. I use single point focus with surrounding to assist if the single point fails. Then I use the joystick on the fly to change to location of the focus point. Works great. Coming from the 5DII, I was tickled to death with this approach.

This is exactly what I've changed the settings to. I received the camera early last week and didn't have time to explore it much before the wedding on Saturday (which is why I didn't use it exclusively, thank goodness!) so I definitely still have a lot to learn.

I'll report back after my wedding this Saturday ... I'm sure I'll be much happier. Hopefully!

Oct 14, 2013 at 09:00 AM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Switching from 7D to 5d3

My 5DIII underexposed 1 1/2 to two stops consistently, no matter the setting; after sending it to Canon while still under warranty, it was fixed with this notation:

"...the adjustment of the ae assembly was incorrect causing exposure to be read unevenly. Electrical adjustments were carried out to the ae assembly."

...the usual "helpful" explanation from Canon services...anyway, there was no charge and the exposure is now normal and consistent.

It's a great camera - I hardly use my other bodies at all anymore...make it right and I'm sure you'll love it.
Jerry

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.