New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Recommend a focus stacking program for Mac

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommend a focus stacking program for Mac

I've started doing more macro shooting (the MP-E is kicking my b*tt and am not seeing a lot of options for focus stacking. I tried it in PS6 but wasn't overly impressed - but then I don't know what I'm doing so I could well be missing something. The only other program I know of is Helicon. Would someone care to comment on what they use and/or suggest alternatives?

TIA

Robert

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommend a focus stacking program for Mac

Try zerene stacker - I like it better than helicon. Similar software, still expensive, but in my admittedly limited experience I think it does a better job. Free trial so download and see if you like it.

Example:

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommend a focus stacking program for Mac

Yup, I did some very extensive testing and was in contact with the developers of each, and Zerene stacker consistantly produces the best results by a very noticeable margin!

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:45 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommend a focus stacking program for Mac

Thanks guys, I'll look up Zerene (who makes these names up )

I'm still trying to get a handle on exactly how to alter focus. My first attempts altered aperture. No help there. It seems that I have to actually have to bring an area into focus then move the lens/camera (on rails) in successive steps so that the focus point moves along the depth of the scene. Am I getting this idea correct? I'm wandering over to Macro World to check with the pros. Been buried in deadlines and the wind won't stop blowing so I haven't been out to try again for a week. (Also, at the insistence of my erstwhile partner, I've just torn the kitchen out. She finally threatened to stop cooking if I didn't get off my duff and do the job It is (was) grotesque after 60 years of miners smoking while cooking and rarely cleaning up.)

Robert

(I've done a bit of searching. I either of you have a link to a good tutorial on both the shooting and the stacking parts, I'd appreciate an URL.)

Oct 15, 2013 at 09:55 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommend a focus stacking program for Mac

http://zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker/docs/tutorials/tutorialsindex

Rik Littlefield (author of Zerene) also admins his own forums at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ which is where you should go for all things Zerene! The level of expertise there is very high and they don't mind dealing with n00bs like you and I. There's lots of user tutorials, equipment critiques, and build examples there as well.

For getting the focus-stack frames you can either move the camera like you describe or use manual focusing. Manual focusing is very difficult for high-mag sequences because the force you need to apply moves the camera too much - even on a very sturdy tripod. And also because most lenses don't have a long enough focus throw. If you have a really smooth lens like some leica or takumar lenses you can usually pull it off anyway tho.

Macro-rails can be had on e-bay for around $25 to $50 and are good. Better however is to locate and acquire a junked microscope and break out the stage height adjustment block then glue, bolt, or weld a quick-release plate onto that for the camera mount. Some guys have had luck using their cameras in continuous drive mode by just holding down the shutter release while slowly moving in or out but I can't get that to work well enough for me.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:29 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommend a focus stacking program for Mac

I recently experimented with focus stacking and was pleased with the results I achieved using PS CS6. I followed the process explained here:

Below are the results I achieved with 12 images and a non-macro lens. As I said, I was satisfied with the results, especially since I already had the software.

Jack

http://jackforknerphotography.com/Temp/69-80%20Flattened-sm.jpg

Oct 17, 2013 at 09:00 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommend a focus stacking program for Mac

For sure I like PS stacking for stacks composed mainly of large-structure and few exposures.

For tiny detail (especially like hairs and whiskers) and/or large stacks of more than 10 images or so PS bites the big one.

Oct 17, 2013 at 09:05 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recommend a focus stacking program for Mac

Bifurcator wrote:
For sure I like PS stacking for stacks composed mainly of large-structure and few exposures.

For tiny detail (especially like hairs and whiskers) and/or large stacks of more than 10 images or so PS bites the big one.

+1

PS works for simpler images, but I've gotten results that weren't even close with more complex structures.

Oct 17, 2013 at 09:14 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recommend a focus stacking program for Mac

Bif,

Thanks for the link. Very useful. Jack, I played with Ps and while it's OK, I think it's clear that purpose built software like Zerene and Helicon out perform it. (Nice flower!)

Off topic, but it seems to me that Ps has become the "kitchen sink" of PP software. It does everything including many things you'll never want or need, but it is in many cases not the best for specific actions, this being an example. (HDR also jumps to mind.)

Robert

Oct 17, 2013 at 09:36 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recommend a focus stacking program for Mac

Yup! A lot of the tools in PS need to be replaced with 3rd party plug-ins or stand-alones. For sharpening, Noise Removal, B&W conversion, HDR, Stacking, Skin processing in portraits, and the list goes on and on. PS is a really good hub application from which these other better, tools can operate. PS has all of those abilities but often they either produce second rate results or are too cumbersome to use - in comparison.

On that note I think the HDR tools in PS CC are now among the best available with the added ability to open the combined exposures directly as a single 32bit HDRI in ACR.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:47 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.