FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · remote trigger?

Tom Spader
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · remote trigger?

Cleaning up the office and found I bought a remote camera trigger that can be used with a pocket wizard. I honestly do not know when I got this... Any solo shooters using this for a second view of the scene. I am kicking around ideas now. I did a search on FM and only find photo booth comments, so I apologize if this has be discussed. But I am wondering if there is some use for this at a ceremony when solo, like wide from the balcony or longer tucked away pointing back at the couple, etc Maybe wide above the dance floor at the reception? If anyone is using these? your $0.02 is welcome.

Oct 13, 2013 at 07:02 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · remote trigger?

I probably would consider using it for balcony shot at ceremony. Probably not at the reception. Most of the time it is so hectic, I really dont want to go back and retrieve my camera+tripod when I shoot alone. When I dont shoot alone, then it defeats the purpose? Might as well use the 2nd to shoot from balcony.

Oct 13, 2013 at 08:35 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · remote trigger?

If I had one, I'd probably use it.

Oct 13, 2013 at 03:05 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · remote trigger?

Tom Spader wrote:
But I am wondering if there is some use for this at a ceremony ... tucked away pointing back at the couple

I've had a couple churches this year ask if I want to put a camera up in the altar area facing back towards the couple. So far I haven't done it but, out of curiosity last weekend, I tested out my remote at the reception to see what kind of distance I could get. Boy, was I surprised! It was a good-sized ballroom and I could reliably trigger the shutter the full length of the ballroom. Didn't even need line of sight! Still trying to think of a good way to make use of this capability. Unsure about setting up a tripod on the altar. Would like to hear what others are doing.

Oct 13, 2013 at 08:05 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · remote trigger?

Robin Usagani wrote:
When I dont shoot alone, then it defeats the purpose?

Unless you put a camera up on the altar.

Oct 13, 2013 at 08:07 PM
Tom Spader
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · remote trigger?

I will be messing with it this week. This one is just a cord 1/8" pocket wizard jack to the Canon body, so it should have the normal distance of the PW. I have been able to fire them at a couple hundred feet so this could be interesting. Yeah alter and balcony would def work in some places. I have seen video go solo with three cams, one on the alter and one on the balcony ... so why not.

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:22 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · remote trigger?

Tom Spader wrote:
This one is just a cord 1/8" pocket wizard jack to the Canon body, so it should have the normal distance of the PW.

Mine is a dedicated wireless remote trigger. (I don't use PocketWizards.)

Oct 14, 2013 at 02:54 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.