p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Really Right Stuff

PM. first is to prove that the ball does not droop or move when locked

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:44 AM
JoshI
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Really Right Stuff

JoshI wrote:
If you've got the time, I'd love to hear how to fix my technique. Try as I might, I still see some droop with my BH-55 when shooting macro. I can usually account for it when I set up the shot, but it's still annoying. If it's me rather than the head, that's an easy fix.

Josh

Nevermind, I had a product shoot today and discovered the source of the droop. In my case, sjms was correct that the ball itself was not moving. It's corrected in my case by adjusting the position of the ball head with my hand on the ball rather than the camera. A simple, albeit inconvenient fix. I guess I'll get used to it.

Josh

Feb 19, 2014 at 04:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Really Right Stuff

enjoy
keep in contact if you have other issues. they are usually easy to resolve. even handling

there are other sources of possible movement that can be discussed.

Edited on Feb 19, 2014 at 11:03 PM · View previous versions

Feb 19, 2014 at 04:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Really Right Stuff

JoshI wrote:
... It's corrected in my case by adjusting the position of the ball head with my hand on the ball rather than the camera. A simple, albeit inconvenient fix. I guess I'll get used to it.

Josh

A geared head is a more convenient fix.

Feb 19, 2014 at 04:17 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Really Right Stuff

Another tip the RRS guys gave me was to not hold the lens while tightening down the ball as you can actually be pulling up slightly and when you let go of everything, can result in a droop.

Despite me going through all their suggestions and points of potential error, nothing worked to the point of me being satisfied. The geared head did exactly what I wanted out of the box and does well in my situations. But if you don't need or want it, all the more money for something else

Feb 19, 2014 at 07:21 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Really Right Stuff

more then one factor affects the proper positioning. some things do take time to grasp.

Edited on Feb 20, 2014 at 10:00 AM · View previous versions

Feb 19, 2014 at 08:18 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Really Right Stuff

for the geared head gearheads sunwayphoto has done a little reverse engineering and is coming out with the GH-Pro head
possible pricing in US ~$500

Feb 20, 2014 at 09:26 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Really Right Stuff

I have both, and prefer my Markins head. I would not hesitate to purchase RRS again though. Don't cheap out on support, good equipment will last a lifetime.

Feb 20, 2014 at 05:11 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Really Right Stuff

i have an older markins M10. it is in semi retirement on a bogen 3021. the RRS tripods have the appropriate RRS heads

Feb 20, 2014 at 07:19 PM
Rob Patterson

p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Really Right Stuff

I have the RRS TVC 24L with an Arca Swiss Monoball p0 and a RRS B2LR II clamp. I love this setup because the head is very light (9.9oz) and has only one control point. It is a reverse ball so you don't need a leveling base for panos. it already has this built in. It also does not droop.

Feb 21, 2014 at 03:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Really Right Stuff

sjms wrote:
for the geared head gearheads sunwayphoto has done a little reverse engineering and is coming out with the GH-Pro head
possible pricing in US ~$500

Hey Steve,

Do you have any vital stats on the Sunwayfoto GH-Pro geared head? I'd be particularly interested to know its weight and capacity.

Feb 21, 2014 at 03:17 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Really Right Stuff

waiting to hear from them. I sent off an email

Feb 21, 2014 at 03:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Really Right Stuff

Feb 21, 2014 at 03:36 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Really Right Stuff

http://www.scvphotoideas.com/2013/05/sunwayfoto-gh-pro-geared-head-in-2013.html

gleaned from this site:

According to information just received from the Sunwayfoto Marketing Dept. the GH-Pro specification are as follows:
Length: 102mm
Width: 79mm
Height: 98mm
Weight: 670g
Max load: 12kg
The expected selling price will be in the range of US $ 500 !!!

Feb 21, 2014 at 03:37 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Really Right Stuff

Thanks for the info.

Hmmm. Compared to the Manfrotto 410 gear head, the Sunwayfoto is less than half the weight, more than twice the capacity, slightly smaller, and slightly less than twice the price.

Might be worth it if I go hiking with my TS-E stuff in Labrador or Utah this year, like I did last year.

Feb 21, 2014 at 04:14 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Really Right Stuff

wakeboarder wrote:
I have the RRS TVC 24L with an Arca Swiss Monoball p0 and a RRS B2LR II clamp. I love this setup because the head is very light (9.9oz) and has only one control point. It is a reverse ball so you don't need a leveling base for panos. it already has this built in. It also does not droop.

and with its particular design comes its limitations. more of a niche tool.

and it actually has 2 controls
1- ball/platform positioning lock
2- pano lock

Feb 24, 2014 at 08:54 AM
subidiom
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Really Right Stuff

behaviorman wrote:
I am just about to decide on a RRS TVC-24L and their bh 40 ballhead...I have spent untold hours on the web researching tripods and ballheads. The reviews suggest that Gitzo used to be king but no longer in terms of both quality and service. Feisol was a close competitor but they only go as high as 58" and I want a taller tripod being 6'1"...plus they do not seem to be as intelligent about tripods (e.g., push center columns to address height) as RRS...

I have this exact setup (TVC-24L + BH-40 LR2) and love it. I've had the legs for 2 years and the BH-40 coming up on 7 years. Both have worked flawlessly for me, shooting everything up to a (rented!) AF-S 200/2. I have had very few issues with RRS gear and find their service to be excellent when I have had any questions or rare issues.

The BH-40 was originally mounted on Gitzo G1258 legs (the older brother of the GT-2541) - the TVC-24L was a huge step up in terms of stability, ergonomics and utility. I am 6' 2" and the TVC-24L goes way higher than I can even use. This thing is tall! Even so, I did add the center column option later and appreciate the added flexibility, and it doesn't seem to affect stability.

Back to the OP's question about a hiking rig, this setup is definitely not a great hiking option. It's just too heavy and bulky, especially in leg diameter when folded. The leg sections are pretty thick, and the base is wide, giving it substantial girth. You don't see that in the specifications, but it's apparent when trying to pack it in.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Gitzo GT-0541 + BH-30 Pro for my travel and hiking setup. It's literally half the weight and half the girth of the setup above and while a little more spindly and less stable than the big rig, I think it will be much more manageable when on the go.

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM
GreenMountainG

p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Really Right Stuff

Just purchased a RRS clamp and plate, with plans to acquire a BH-55 and another plate to fit the lens collar foot on my macro lens. Right out of the box the quality of these items was evident.

After reading this thread, I am also considering their tripod. Gitzo is also under consideration, but the customer service angle is definitely an influence on my decision.

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Really Right Stuff

its an opinion. one mans feast is another's folly

Apr 04, 2014 at 06:57 AM
axelbadde

p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Really Right Stuff

I recently bought the Sunwayfoto GH Pro in Sweden and i like it alot, have used the ones from Manfrotto before but i like this one alot more.
Much more compact and lighter.

http://www.benrosverige.se/sv/kulleder/sunwayfoto-gh-pro-gear-head.html

Jan 06, 2015 at 10:42 AM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.