New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · PS CS6 - File size issue while saving

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PS CS6 - File size issue while saving

HI,

I am trying to save a 2.5GB file as TIFF. I keep getting error that I am exceeding the 4GB file save limit for Tiff. However, PS displays the size about 2.5 GB. Is it a known issue, am i missing something here

thanks

msomro

Oct 12, 2013 at 05:55 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PS CS6 - File size issue while saving

Did you try saving as a PSB file?

Is there a reason it has to be TIFF?

Did you try using TIFF compression?

Oct 12, 2013 at 06:30 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PS CS6 - File size issue while saving

Reason i want to avoid psb is that Lightroom does not read/catalog psb files :-(

Did not try compression. is there any downside to saving compressed?

thanks
msoomro

Oct 12, 2013 at 07:26 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PS CS6 - File size issue while saving

msoomro wrote:
HI,

I am trying to save a 2.5GB file as TIFF. I keep getting error that I am exceeding the 4GB file save limit for Tiff. However, PS displays the size about 2.5 GB. Is it a known issue, am i missing something here

thanks

msomro

Photoshop is not a file editor. Any size information displayed by Photoshop is not any output file size. File size is impossible to predict. What Image file format are you going to be saving in. Will you be saving a layered format. What color depth are you going to save? Will you be using compression? Are there smart object layers that may have embedded objects like RAW files or Placed PSD or PSB files? Photoshop does not displays any information about any file size a document may save as.

Save for Web may show some file size information. Then Save for web does not save layered files like Tiff, PSD and PSB. So save for web can look at composite width and height output image format and compression settings and others it may be able to predict a likely output file size.

Oct 12, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PS CS6 - File size issue while saving

msoomro wrote:
Reason i want to avoid psb is that Lightroom does not read/catalog psb files :-(

Did not try compression. is there any downside to saving compressed?

thanks
msoomro

Does LR read layered Tiff files? I don't use LR but I don't think LR supports any layered files. Therefore if you save a small layered tiff with Photoshop LR may not be able to read it. I don't know for sure but you may want to make a test. LR may for there may be a composite layer it can use for I see LR does support PSD when saved with max compatibility

Photoshop format (PSD)
Photoshop format (PSD) is the standard Photoshop file format. To import and work with a multi-layered PSD file in Lightroom, the file must be saved in Photoshop with the Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility preference turned on. You’ll find the option in the Photoshop file handling preferences. Lightroom imports and saves PSD files with a bit depth of 8 bits or 16 bits per channel. To work with 32-bit images in Lightroom, save your file as TIFF.

Oct 12, 2013 at 08:23 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PS CS6 - File size issue while saving

thanks. mr mouse: I use 16 bit prophoto and save layered files as tiif without compression. No smart objects as it increases the file size tremendously.

LR is able to see layered tiff. in all situations where i can use psd, i am able to use tiff. My challenge is when the size is larger and i need to go to psb and not able to add those to catalog.

Oct 14, 2013 at 01:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PS CS6 - File size issue while saving

Is the file size the issue or the pixel dimensions? TIFFs are limited to 30,000 on a side or something like that.

EBH

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:56 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PS CS6 - File size issue while saving

You file size includes all layers, layer information, alpha channels, alpha channels as included in adjustment layers, as well as you base image size. If your base file size is 2.5 gb, and you have more than a couple of layers of any sort, I'd be surprised if your saved file size did not exceed the 4 gb limit for tiff. The limit for psd files is a paltry 2 gb, a limit left over from earlier operating systems. The pixel dimension of tiff is now 300,000 pixels, not 30,000, the latter which was also a legacy figure that I had some personal input with one of Adobe's engineers in convincing him to increase that limit. There is no effective file size limit to .psb files other than the size of your drives and the limits of your patience. .psb files with compression are often smaller than either psd or tiff versions of the same file, but take a long time to save.

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · PS CS6 - File size issue while saving

@EB-1: My issue is file size.

@Peter. The question that comes to mind is what do I loose (or compromise on) by using compression either with tiff or psb?

thanks

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · PS CS6 - File size issue while saving

msoomro wrote:
@EB-1: My issue is file size.
@I loose (or compromise on) by using compression either with tiff or psb?

You loose nothing you use less disk space for a small little cost in time saving and opening images. For Compression and Decompression require some processing time.

As far as I know the documentation states that "PSD" file saved with Max PSd and PSB compatibility are supported by LR. Its not directly stated that LR supports PSB/ You may want to try a small test. The largest PSD file may be 2GB (I don't know where the cut off is) PSB can be latger then 4GB. Adobe documentation states that Tiff file up to 4GB are supported.

Oct 16, 2013 at 02:04 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · PS CS6 - File size issue while saving

Mouse is right. You just give up a bit of time for writes and decompressing when opening. Zip, LZW and RLE compression schemes are all lossless, meaning there is no data loss at all during the compression or expansion, unlike the lossy compression that jpeg provides. Zip compression is almost always the most efficient of the lossless compressions, providing the smallest on disk file size, at the expense of longer save times.

You actually can use jpeg compression on 8 bit per channel tiffs, but I've never done it myself or even heard of anyone else ever using it either. That's one option that makes little sense but maybe if you needed to include alpha channels and make files as small as possible for digital transmission, it might be useful. Just surmising here though.

Oct 16, 2013 at 02:46 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.