FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Your ideal camera

Jamison Hurst
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Your ideal camera

My ideal camera would be integrated into a contact lens as a heads-up display. Whisper-voice activated, tivo-like capabilities for after the fact rendering. Where today HD video allows high-speed still frame selection, my cam would also capture everything at every aperture and shutter-speed. One could selectively choose clothing transparency where desired by gender (w/gov't approved age filters of course). All wirelessly uploaded to a remote storage-retrieval device.

Maybe a full-body cloaking device so I could stop paying for front-row seats of my favorite bands and getting thrown out for having 'pro-like' lenses.

Oct 13, 2013 at 01:20 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Your ideal camera

I suppose you really need a wide aperture to get good resolution with a mirror lens. Looking at the MTF of the Zeiss Mirotar 500/8 for instance, it's about as sharp as the Planar 50/1.4 or 50/1.7 wide open. The 500/4.5 and 1000/5.6 are a lot better.

I wonder how good mirror lenses can be made at short focal lengths though. I haven't seen any shorter than 250mm. Perhaps the donuts get too much? Or maybe it's just not feasible to create short focal lengths because the required curvature of the mirror?

Oct 13, 2013 at 01:22 PM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Your ideal camera

The papers I've seen pretty much assume that you use a sensor off axis for wide angle. There are supposedly some rather fast diffraction limited ~f2 designs out there but they are strictly industrial (maybe not even built yet). Since I've gotten into tilt shift lenses I realized that I do alot less stopping down, so I justified it that way. Its the cheapest way I can think of to build a hyper-spectral lens. Personally I probably wouldn't use an IR or UV lens that often but I do think it would be enough of a standout feature to make the camera sell and entice software support.

My big thing is that I really think we have plenty of resolution for most things but I'd like to see more interesting color pallets from sensors and spur more variety in the way we process images. That was the thinking of the camera. Silly color and silly high speed at the front in an interesting package. Having recently seen digital x-ray sensors in actual use at a hospital I really think that thin film sensors may not be all that far off. There are many more Display manufacturers (as far as I can tell) than image sensor manufacturers so that was the direction that I took.

Also I think that mirror lenses can be cool and would love to see the weird ones in existence. Of course thats from reading dissertations and scholarly articles about mirror lens design, it looks possible but I'm not an optical engineer.

Oct 13, 2013 at 01:37 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Your ideal camera

Jamison Hurst wrote:
My ideal camera would be integrated into a contact lens as a heads-up display. Whisper-voice activated, tivo-like capabilities for after the fact rendering. Where today HD video allows high-speed still frame selection

Only HD? Someone else also listed that as a capability of their ideal camera, but having only HD (1080p) means you don't have any room to crop and pan in your footage. My ideal camera would have at least 4K at 120 fps and the full sensor resolution at 24fps.

Oct 13, 2013 at 01:57 PM
rodmcwha
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Your ideal camera

A nikon D3s---Oh Wait! I already have 2.

Oct 13, 2013 at 02:00 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.