New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · What keeps D3s price up?

Almass
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What keeps D3s price up?

Love the D4 but passionate about the D3s

Oct 16, 2013 at 06:30 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What keeps D3s price up?

Had I spent $5,900 on a new body that was marginally better than a body 3 years old. I'd be trying to pull out all of the stops and justify the purchase too. But the fact remains that even in test after test, the incremental differences between the 'flagship' model and that 3 year old stuff.. Just isn't worth the $2,000.+ more unless that video feature has you're name written all over it.

Glow in the dark buttons, inner HDR, 1 FPS more, 1.3 EV gain, and a couple of cosmetic changes does not make a 2K difference. And the take away (for me) battery holds less than D3s by a freekin HALF, new memory addition = More ca$h for cards/reader. No way.

The D3 & D3s will probably outlive me.. I've produced posters with these bodys and they just work.. If I'm shooting in near complete black now, what's it going to get? Blacker than black?

If you're gonna try and blow me skirt up mate, one will have to do it from more than one side. I'm not partial to wind from one direction.

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:17 AM
Almass
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What keeps D3s price up?

I hear ya. D3s or bust....

Oct 16, 2013 at 08:02 AM
leewoolery
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What keeps D3s price up?

From my experience with the D3, D3s and D4, they all produce great images but, for the money, the D3s is a better value than the D4 if you figure in the investment of the newer batteries and card/reader.

If you want a new camera, the D4 won't disappoint but the D3s can still get the job done:

Lee Woolery
Speedshot

:

Lee Woolery Speedshot Photo 2013

NIKON D3S    140mm    f/2.8    1/800s    8000 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3S    300mm    f/2.8    1/640s    10000 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3S    280mm    f/4.0    1/1250s    6400 ISO    +0.7 EV  

NIKON D3S    300mm    f/2.8    1/1250s    5000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 16, 2013 at 02:44 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What keeps D3s price up?

D7100 can easily take these pictures! with right lenses

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What keeps D3s price up?

Sorry Mazerunner & Steve Park. Yep I'm currently living in Shanghai.

Tough decision, I'm currently using the D800E & D600 with Birds & Cultural relics & buildings & Landscapes my usual subjects. Though I love low DoF anything, but especially people, too.

The D800E is great for all of those but the D3s would be superb for birds with the high fps though I lose out on cropabilty. I just think the D800E & D3s offer me more options. I don't think the extra $ on the D4 is necessarily going to give me any further advantage and there are some negatives.

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:30 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What keeps D3s price up?

The cycle goes like this: People are happy with their current camera -> Nikon introduces a new model -> People resist change and say their camera is still good, etc -> Time pass by and they use the new model and now praise it -> Cycle continues with the next model

Remember what people said when the D800 came out? 36 megapixels?? who needs that?? My D700 is good enough. Now the D800 is everyone's darling camera. It could do no wrong. I think when the D4 price comes down and more people get the chance to use it then its advantages over the D3s will be more appreciated. We're not there yet, but it's coming....

Oct 16, 2013 at 06:11 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What keeps D3s price up?

I picked up a nice low shutter count D3s about a year ago for night work with the high ISO. It works for me.

Oct 16, 2013 at 06:43 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What keeps D3s price up?

nugeny wrote:

and the right user behind it.

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:07 PM
leewoolery
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What keeps D3s price up?

nugeny wrote:

The D7100 couldn't have taken these pictures because I'd never bring a consumer body to cover a paying event like rodeo, soccer or figure skating. They are not designed for that purpose.

The dust alone at a rodeo would wreck a camera without the proper weather sealing plus the heat, humidity and jostling around and over panels and dodging livestock demands a D2/3/4 body and it's not uncommon to put 30,000-50,000 shutter clicks on a camera for a 4 day figure skating competition.

I see lots of parents shooting with similar cameras from the stands and they do an excellent job...

Now...as a walk-around, family reunion, day at the zoo, Christmas morning and birthday camera, I wouldn't hesitate using a D7100 but not on the job!

Lee Woolery
Speedshot

Oct 16, 2013 at 08:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What keeps D3s price up?

leewoolery wrote:
The D7100 couldn't have taken these pictures because I'd never bring a consumer body to cover a paying event like rodeo, soccer or figure skating. They are not designed for that purpose.

The dust alone at a rodeo would wreck a camera without the proper weather sealing plus the heat, humidity and jostling around and over panels and dodging livestock demands a D2/3/4 body and it's not uncommon to put 30,000-50,000 shutter clicks on a camera for a 4 day figure skating competition.

I see lots of parents shooting with similar cameras from the stands and they do an excellent job...

Now...as a
...Show more

really now I wouldn't go that far at all. I use the D7000 as an alt shooter with my D4 quite often. no it is not a high iso high speed wondercam but in the hands of someone with a clue can/will be very usable. don't underestimate a determined/able user.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM
leewoolery
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What keeps D3s price up?

sjms wrote:
really now I wouldn't go that far at all. I use the D7000 as an alt shooter with my D4 quite often. no it is not a high iso high speed wondercam but in the hands of someone with a clue can/will be very usable. don't underestimate a determined/able user.

...point well taken but I just wanted to stay on topic as to why a pro body such as the D3s still has such a high value and the attached examples were to show what that camera is capable of but to expect that kind of performance from a consumer grade camera 1/5 the price is not realistic.

That was my point,

Lee Woolery
Speedshot

Oct 17, 2013 at 01:27 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What keeps D3s price up?

Well, for me the choice/decision was made. I have the D7100 in my hands. Over the years, I have had D3, D4 and have been shooting D800e for almost a year. So I do know the pro-cameras. the 7100 seems capable. Will see!

Oct 17, 2013 at 02:39 AM
Sambru
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What keeps D3s price up?

I had a D3s however it was destroyed in a shipping accident replaced it with a D4 - no way would I go back to a D3s. Guy your comment about batteries is a joke, D700 batteries don't fit the D800 do they as for dual cards I love "the ridiculous priced memory card" it's fast, small & robust. When I travel I use CF cards in which I have a bucketful The XQD is my backup slot simply no problem. I compared shots I had taken with the D3s and yes they were are good however the same shot with the 4 is much better.

Oct 17, 2013 at 04:03 AM
blutch
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What keeps D3s price up?

I shoot primarily theater and classical concerts, so I need great low light function. I sold the D600 and bought a D3s for $2800. It had 6000 clicks on it. I was thrilled by the deal and can't believe how my keeper rate went up. I love the thing. I wish I could afford a 2nd one for carrying a 2nd body. Right now, I carry a D7000 but barely use it in low light. Perhaps D800 would be a good second body to carry..... What do you all think? I carry the 70-200 on the D3s and need a 2nd body with a wider lens for quick wide shots. D800? They are much cheaper than another used D3s.

I'm great results with the D3s and will use it for a LONG time.

B

Oct 18, 2013 at 04:01 AM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What keeps D3s price up?

I have a D4 and am thinking of a D800 as a 2nd body. I think it will work well for you blutch.

Oct 18, 2013 at 06:45 AM
Slug69
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What keeps D3s price up?

nugeny wrote:
D3x can't compete. And I won't buy D3x (same MPs as D610) Just compare. D3x sensor is at least 6 years old tech.
D3s, abit younger, not much 12 MPs. I can shoot fast. Is selling fastter and for more than D3x.
Just wonder.

D3x is pretty amazing performer. Best iq this side of a D800e. It renders points of light better and noted for better micro contrast.

D3s is faster and keeps the night prowlers happy.

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:52 AM
leewoolery
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What keeps D3s price up?

blutch wrote:
I shoot primarily theater and classical concerts, so I need great low light function. I sold the D600 and bought a D3s for $2800. It had 6000 clicks on it. I was thrilled by the deal and can't believe how my keeper rate went up. I love the thing. I wish I could afford a 2nd one for carrying a 2nd body. Right now, I carry a D7000 but barely use it in low light. Perhaps D800 would be a good second body to carry..... What do you all think? I carry the 70-200 on the D3s and need a
...Show more

B

Congratulations on getting a great deal on a D3s!

Hopefully you'll find another one for the same price...excellent camera but I paid more than that on a factory refurbished D3....and that camera still does an incredible job on a daily basis for my business.

Lee Woolery
Speedshot

Oct 18, 2013 at 01:24 PM
IHateMayo

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · What keeps D3s price up?

I just upgraded to the D3s from the D3 and I gotta tell you, the D3s is an incredible machine. There are a ton of tiny things that Nikon changed between the two models (my favorite is that they added a touch a blue to the previously pure-red "Format" text on the body so that colorblinds can read it), but obviously the biggest thing is the sensor. The sensor holds a score of 82 on DxOmark, and it is easy to see why -- it has absolutely incredible at high-ISOs, really supurb.

Another thing that the D3s has that makes it current is video, which I tend to use a lot and I think most modern photographers expect that nowadays when buying a camera.

Oct 18, 2013 at 02:48 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · What keeps D3s price up?

blutch wrote:
I shoot primarily theater and classical concerts, so I need great low light function. I sold the D600 and bought a D3s for $2800. It had 6000 clicks on it. I was thrilled by the deal and can't believe how my keeper rate went up. I love the thing. I wish I could afford a 2nd one for carrying a 2nd body. Right now, I carry a D7000 but barely use it in low light. Perhaps D800 would be a good second body to carry..... What do you all think? I carry the 70-200 on the D3s and need a
...Show more

I use a D3s & D800. great combo!

Oct 18, 2013 at 02:58 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password