New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Travel laptop

glassartist
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Travel laptop

Yes I have a 128 and agree that it is a little light. External drives are relatively cheap, even if just for back-up in the field.

Oct 11, 2013 at 08:47 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Travel laptop

Help- can I get by with 128 gb - instead of 256? My wife and I will be sharing and we will use an external hard drive too.

Oct 12, 2013 at 04:23 PM
glassartist
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Travel laptop

runakid wrote:
Help- can I get by with 128 gb - instead of 256? My wife and I will be sharing and we will use an external hard drive too.

It works for me.

Frankly I've used my Mac Air as my main system for the past year as we had some big trips last year and I wanted a travel system to do light editing and couldn't afford both a pro and an air. 8 gb and the I5 are fast enough to process D600 raw files without making me too crazy. No regrets on buying it. The screen is 'good enough' but far from ideal.

Sometime later this year I'll get a pro with retina

If you get an external drive, make sure it is USB 3.0.

Oct 12, 2013 at 04:49 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Travel laptop

runakid wrote:

What Glass said, above, assuming you're going with a Mac?

Also, you need to Google up "free up space on Macbook Air" or "macbook pro" and you'll learn a few tricks to get rid of some "cruft" that hangs around on the system from a default installation -- optional of course, but it'll give you back a few GB easily.

Also, again if you go with the Retina, download SwitchResX if you want to work in Native resolution (you can also use the other resolutions, too)

Oct 12, 2013 at 09:23 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Travel laptop

Someone in church said to look for solid state hard drive. What is that? He said it is much faster.

Oct 13, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Travel laptop

runakid wrote:
Someone in church said to look for solid state hard drive. What is that? He said it is much faster.

It gives you a faster connection to God

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

Oct 13, 2013 at 01:56 PM
ourabmen
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Travel laptop

How soon do you need it? Here is an interesting story from Mac rumors http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/13/apple-predicted-to-release-ultra-slim-12-inch-macbook-with-retina-display-in-mid-2014/

Oct 13, 2013 at 09:44 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Travel laptop

runakid wrote:

The Surface pro's has one of the fastest on the market 😉. Dell xps 12 is also a very nice and sturdy ultrabook (I sold my MBP 15 retina and iPad for that one and haven't regretted it at all!).

Oct 14, 2013 at 07:21 AM
BarryAllen

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Travel laptop

Some good info in this thread. For a laptop that leaves the house I tend to go somewhat cheap in the event it is stolen, breaks, etc. I use Intel processors with the AES-NI instruction set which allows hardware accelerated encryption using the AES standard. This allows you to encrypt your ssd with minimal overhead and extending battery life.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Travel laptop

BarryAllen wrote:
Some good info in this thread. For a laptop that leaves the house I tend to go somewhat cheap in the event it is stolen, breaks, etc.

The added beauty of the Air/MBP/iPad is the free Cloud .. so in the event of a loss/theft you can lock up the computer and then do a simple reinstall on your new (hopefully insurance paid for) Air/MBP/iPad to completely replicate your lost computer .... including any shots you may have taken and loaded onto your Air/MBP/iPad during your trip.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Travel laptop

Frogfish wrote:
The added beauty of the Air/MBP/iPad is the free Cloud .. so in the event of a loss/theft you can lock up the computer and then do a simple reinstall on your new (hopefully insurance paid for) Air/MBP/iPad to completely replicate your lost computer .... including any shots you may have taken and loaded onto your Air/MBP/iPad during your trip.

That feature was available for Windows already 4 years ago...
All my important stuff (pictures, office documents) are automatically saved to the Cloud, so they can be accesed/edited on any pc/mac.
With a Mac, you cannot replicate your whole laptop... It's only the apps and the files you saved to the Cloud. If you got PS/lightroom/premiere,... It will not be reinstalled.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Patrick Cox
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Travel laptop

iMac user here. Just went through the same decision. I went with a 13" Macbook Air. It's a great traveling machine!

Oct 15, 2013 at 06:34 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Travel laptop

playerofwar wrote:
All my important stuff (pictures, office documents) are automatically saved to the Cloud, so they can be accesed/edited on any pc/mac.
With a Mac, you cannot replicate your whole laptop... It's only the apps and the files you saved to the Cloud. If you got PS/lightroom/premiere,... It will not be reinstalled.

Ah. Is it also free ? Stopped using Windows years ago (never regretted the move) so wasn't aware of that. Though of course if you back up to Time Machine before every trip (I do) then a full reinstall is possible (as far as I know - I've luckily never needed to use it) !

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:16 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Travel laptop

playerofwar wrote:

Ah. Is it also free ? Stopped using Windows years ago (never regretted the move) so wasn't aware of that. Though of course if you back up to Time Machine before every trip (I do) then a full reinstall is possible (as far as I know - I've luckily never needed to use it) !

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:16 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Travel laptop

Patrick Cox wrote:
iMac user here. Just went through the same decision. I went with a 13" Macbook Air. It's a great traveling machine!

+1

Same for me iMac at home, MBA 13" for traveling.

My MBA has a 512 SSD, 128Gb is not enough (at least not for me). During my last trip to China I stored 155Gb of images.
I use an USB3 500Gb LaCie Rikki as backup for my images (cheap, small, fast, reliable).

During travel I use LightRoom with an empty catalog and at home I export the catalog (with images and previews) and import it on the iMac.

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Travel laptop

I use my MBP retina for all home and travel editing.

Oct 15, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Seancho

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Travel laptop

I'm looking at the new Dell XPS 15, just out this week: QHD+ 3200x1800 IPS display, quad-core Haswell i7, GeForce GT 750M, 16GB RAM. 2kg. Sub $2k. Let's see Apple match that.

Oct 16, 2013 at 03:06 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Travel laptop

I have an X1 Carbon Touch, and it is a rock star - durable, fast and rich in ports. Under 3lb. with a 14" screen.

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:51 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Travel laptop

screen res?

if its 1600x900 more like garage band

Oct 16, 2013 at 08:15 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.