Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Need Help with Lighting Placement

pepperman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need Help with Lighting Placement

I am shooting a wedding in a small church. Everything is in one room and the reception tables will be set up and people will sit in them for the ceremony. There will be an isle down the middle and the couple will get married on the stage and the stage is about a 3ft rise, there is a balcony in the back and I plan to shoot the actual ceremony from up there. There is a slight overhang over the stage but I do not think that that will be a problem. I have a pair of Einstein lights and I just don't know where to place them that will allow me to shoot the ceremony as well as the party effectively.

The existing light is minimal, high ceiling and no real windows to speak of. The stage, where the ceremony will be has black curtains behind and on the sides, the walls are off white and tan and the floors are hardwood floors. I am shooting with a Canon 1D MkIV and a Canon 5D MkII and will primarily use a 24-70 f/2.8, a 70-200 f/2.8, and an 85 f/1.8

ALL THOUGHTS, IDEAS, AND SUGGESTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Thanks in Advance!
Stuart

Edited on Oct 11, 2013 at 02:39 PM · View previous versions

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM
pepperman
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need Help with Lighting Placement

Would a light in the corner by the entrance and 1 across in the opposite corner by the stage a viable solution? Would I fire them separately and use only the one facing the direction needed! Or should I borrow 2 lights and set up 4 lights? 4 lights just seems like overkill in this situation.
Thanks in Advance!

Oct 11, 2013 at 01:41 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need Help with Lighting Placement

The first thing to do, if you haven't already, is to check with the officiant doing the ceremony to see if flash is permitted during the ceremony. In some churches the actual ceremony must be shot by existing light only. A tripod, slow shutter speeds, wide apertures, and high ISO settings are needed. With the cameras you list that shouldn't be a problem. Weddings aren't sporting events, so subject blur isn't much of a problem if you time your shots properly.

Where the strobes will come in handy is during the reception where you and the subjects will be more animated. If there will be dancing you'll want max-sync shutter speed and smallish apertures to get good depth of field for sharp focus at the closer distances.

Crossed lighting isn't usually an issue during dancing; it's part of the "dance floor feel," so having a light in each corner is fine.

For the table shots, you'll be best served by a Speedlite in ETTL mode (and camera in Manual mode in my opinion, though others use Tv or Av), with the Speedlite on a bracket if possible to get it higher off the lens axis.

Oct 11, 2013 at 07:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need Help with Lighting Placement

pepperman wrote:
I am shooting a wedding in a small church. ...The stage, where the ceremony will be has black curtains behind and on the sides...

Um, just out of curiosity, what kind of "church" is this?

Oct 11, 2013 at 07:49 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need Help with Lighting Placement

Sounds like a church I did a wedding at (many years back).....basically it was a school gym, and the stage was the "platform" that the pastor preached from.

I ended up shooting the strobes and bounced off the ceiling and on camera flash to handle eye shadows.

I also set up second body off to the side of the group (hidden well next to flowers) and did the remote thing to get a view (I wasn't allowed to be behind the pastor) during the ceremonial action.

Ended up doing the family (large number) shot from a 8 foot ladder....and they were all in front of the stage.

Just have to get creative with what you have to work with.....

Nov 09, 2013 at 07:14 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need Help with Lighting Placement

pepperman wrote:
4 lights just seems like overkill in this situation.

Once in a lifetime event for the participants ... I don't think they would feel the same way.

Would you rather be known for producing pretty good stuff with only two lights ... or for producing really good stuff ... period.

Hard to say from here whether or not a 3rd or 4th light is needed, but the extra lights might afford you the ability to place the lights at different distances or different angles or use the extra light to provide more fill, etc.

What might seem excessive could make a nice diff if you use it effectively/strategically ... again, no reshoot options here. BTW, what happens if by chance one of your two bites the dust (for whatever reason), then you are left with just one to work with.

I recommend taking your two lights and doing some test setups prior (days/weeks) to the ceremony if possible. Much information will be gained there at whether you are talking about overkill or an upgrade in quality images. Even if you do decide to only work with two lights, the strategic info learned from the pre-ceremony location test shots will be valuable strategically and for giving you more confidence in your lighting arrangements.

HTH ... GL

Nov 09, 2013 at 03:48 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password