1       2       3              71      
       end

Medium Format Digital Images Thread

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.72 #1 · p.72 #1 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread

Now, A set of portrait using S120 APO

I got this lens a little before Christmas after return the first one, now a short review. Mainly compare to contax120 APO. Because it can get to 1:2, the lens is capable to do a lot of things over different subject at different distance, it is very versatile, I really should have got it earlier at least if I decide to stay with S.

Having used many S glasses so far, I feel S glasses are a very special set of glass that all have superb rendering and optic performance. 35/70/120 are first three introduced, they are also happen to be mostly impressive ones out of whole set in term of rendering, usefulness of focal length and performance.

Sharpness: The lens is extremely sharp. even WO to corner. I feel it is sharper at WO f2.5 than contax120 at f4, mainly contrast, resolution wise both are stellar.

APO: I feel It is not as good as Contax120 for CA correction. However, I mainly shoot it WO, it(CA) might get comparable at f4. I'd say it is an excellent APO glass compare other Leica APO I used. No complain here.

Handling: first of all, for AF users, it is fine. i will mainly talk about manual focus here. Now, compare to contax 645,(feel so good in hand for manual focusing) S 120 is awkward. The focusing ring is real, and feel great, better than all other S glasses. However, because glass itself is pretty long and focus ring is far away from body and not wide enough IMO, if I put my left hand palm underneath the S body, i have a very hard time to reach focusing ring using thumb and index finger to focus. I have to modify my way of holding camera to manual focusing, it can be done, just not comfortable. S35 has the same issue, but focusing turn is less than 90 degree from MFD to infinity, it is a less issue I can potentially use my index finger to do the focusing compare to almost 720 degree of S120 here. and 35mm is less sensitive to camera shack for less stable holding.

Flare: Flare performance is better than contax. It is not that good itself, but contax is just worse.

Boekh: I will give contax nod here, it is just more prettier to my eyes. (I personally feel Contax 120 APO has the best bokeh of all short tele lens I ever used, talking about quality not quantity, I can imagine it will be even more impressive on native 645 system). Here, I mainly talk about tough situation shooting, like medium distance with busy background. However, at macro distance, both give very beautiful results and given S 120 can also focus very close, and more than one stop faster, it has potential to give more blur over many conditions, so, it might be favorable for some.

It has AF, and f2.5, this means it is a more useful lens for S users as S system need light, lots of light. It is also more OVF friendly for faster aperture, viewfinder will be brighter. I will keep both as you can see they are quite different.

BTW, it also has copy variation, I have to return the first one which focus is off, performance at infinity is worse and show more CA.

Jan 05, 2018 at 07:14 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.72 #2 · p.72 #2 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread

nicoimages wrote:
Pentax 645D... Really like how the CCD sensor renders and the minimal PP that is needed. Dynamic range is not great but very easy to pull up shadows if care is taken not to blow the highlights...

Nicholas, I totally agree with your views of the P645D. It pains me to sell mine after nearly 3 yrs of use, however other purchases and my more regular use of the K-1 and rangefinders necessitate it.

Some images from the last couple of years, and the last from yesterday when I was profiling a bunch of 645 and 67 lenses. All of these are with the A35 f/3.5 unless noted.

Canberra's Telstra (telco) Tower on Black Mountain

PENTAX 645D    f/9.0    1/500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Temora Aviation Museum: Commonwealth Avn Corp R.R. Avon-engined Sabre (FA45-85 lens)

PENTAX 645D    65mm    f/8.0    1/2s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Temora Avn Museum Spitfire Mk VIII (with fill flash)

PENTAX 645D    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Guardians of the vegetable kingdom

PENTAX 645D    f/7.1    1/400s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Jan 06, 2018 at 12:24 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.72 #3 · p.72 #3 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread

24S

100mm Summicron

Jan 07, 2018 at 09:34 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.72 #4 · p.72 #4 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread

70mm Summarit

Jan 08, 2018 at 10:25 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.72 #5 · p.72 #5 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread

120 APO-Summarit

Jan 09, 2018 at 06:54 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.72 #6 · p.72 #6 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread

100cron S 5 image stitched.

This is a very difficult image for me to get color right. It was under harsh light afternoon. I get ton of blue haze in image, the sensor just seems see very differently in color and tone than my eyes saw.

Jan 10, 2018 at 07:32 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.72 #7 · p.72 #7 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread

zhangyue - I like all the Leica S-lenses, they're benchmark lenses for me as far as rendering is concern so I'm glad to see your photos! I also agree with you that the 35/70/120 were a GREAT starting lineup for Leica. And the subsequent lenses although good/interesting in their own right still don't have the look of those three. All the newer lenses are good, but not the same rendering/colours etc. Though I do love the 100/2 for it's slight speed advantage.

Personally I could never go back to the S-system, too much fear. Even if Leica guaranteed me that the S-lenses have been fixed permanently and even if they gave me some kind of warranty to alleviate the fear, I've spent way to much buying and selling and buying and selling the S-system to ever go back. Even now if I went back I'd be bleeding $$ and the total cost of the S-system I pick back up would amount to 2-3 times the retail cost of the kit by now. Sad truth is that it was the S-system failures that had me starting my hate of Leica, and poor customer service that drove me away. I don't know if the new CEO is better, but with my remaining Leica gear, I've not even used any of it in a while, so I don't know if it's working or not so I haven't had a need to contact Leica CS.

I'm very happy with the size and weight of the X1D. I like the look of the lenses too, though different from Leica. But if I have to be honest, I'd give up size and weight in 70% of the scenarios to get back the S-006 colours and the S-lens rendering. But that would mean two medium format systems for me and I don't like having too many options. And I like the X1D a lot, to the point where I'd just as well keep the system and watch it grow (hopefully Hasselblad CS is better than Leica CS).

Been too busy to edit/post personal photos, though I do try and bring my X1D with me everywhere. So for now I'll just enjoy all the images all you guys are posting on here!!

Jan 10, 2018 at 09:46 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.72 #8 · p.72 #8 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread

Michael, really nice how one gets atracted into this grand scene!

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:32 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.72 #9 · p.72 #9 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread

Michael, really nice how one gets atracted into this grand scene!

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

zhangyue
• • • •
p.72 #10 · p.72 #10 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread

Michel, thanks for your kind comments.

Adam, I understand and agree with you. Don't come back! I have a feeling about X1D that it will be very similar case I have with RX1, before I bought it, I doubt I like it, once I bought it, I can't leave without it. I think next version of X1d will be perfect and most likely will be a better selling product than rumored S008 if they got E shutter right and offer more speed on shooting and EVF viewing. These two are going to different route, however I feel X1D pick a more popular path for sure. Next Fuji will be a great one as well. As for S, most likely, it will serve existing customers like me fine as well. Ultimately, you always got the feeling of grass is more greener other side like what you feel now They all capable capture beautiful images.

As for me, I have been too deep into S system now to quit. It will be expensive and lots of hassle to sell everything. TBH, My S system journey has been full of love and hate start from beginning, I think as long as I am still deal with electric Leica product, it most likely will be this way. However, I consider myself a very niche user that value many not on paper stuff highly. The system is really shining under condition it suit for and I am almost addict for what it can give me sometime especially portraits. Most of those are not obvious in internet size image, but still people might be able trace a little. however, I can see those all the time during editing images. It brought me lots of enjoyment.

If I start from fresh, I will not get into MF now, and most likely pick a next version of X1D. It seems just suit me better than Fuji. I might always want try S, but it is no longer as an attractive system at the time S2/S006 introduced and even at the time I bought it.

Having said that, one thing doesn't change like you said: Their full line of lens just offer incredible quality. They have some quality hard to put on word, maybe those expensive cinematic glass? Anyway, it is always a trade off and right now it is a good time to pick up a few S glasses if you brave enough

100cron

Jan 14, 2018 at 06:36 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.72 #11 · p.72 #11 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread

zhangyue wrote:
Michel, thanks for your kind comments.

Adam, I understand and agree with you. Don't come back!

Hahaha, stop posting such nice photos with your S-system and I won't want to join the club again!!
Maybe one day when the whole S-System is super cheap I'll buy 3-4 S-lenses and an old 006 body. Hopefully someone will still be able to service/fix the lenses at that point. And hopefully the bodies stand the test of time.

Yes X1D was a big surprise for me.. Far more useful as an everyday cam than the S-bodies, but I still miss those S-lenses.

Jan 14, 2018 at 01:22 PM
danski0224
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.72 #12 · p.72 #12 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread

645D and 35mm, 4 image stitch

_IGP8056 Panorama.jpg by Dan T, on Flickr

Jan 15, 2018 at 10:25 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.72 #13 · p.72 #13 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread

War memorial, Bray-Dunes, France

pentax 645Z FA 45-85

Jan 15, 2018 at 01:32 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.72 #14 · p.72 #14 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread

French facades # 335
Rouen, France
Pentax 645Z FA 45-85

French facades # 329
Rouen, France
Pentax 645Z FA 45-85

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:02 PM
highdesertmesa
• •
p.72 #15 · p.72 #15 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread

Old turquoise Chevy Bel Air in front of the Trading Bird Gallery in Madrid NM.

highdesertmesa 2017

GFX 50S    GF63mmF2.8 R WR lens    63mm    f/2.8    1/2500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

highdesertmesa 2017

GFX 50S    GF63mmF2.8 R WR lens    63mm    f/2.8    1/1800s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 17, 2018 at 04:32 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.72 #16 · p.72 #16 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread

35mm Summarit S
Haven't used this lens for a long time.

Jan 19, 2018 at 06:40 PM
Creative Edge
• • • •
p.72 #17 · p.72 #17 · Medium Format Digital Images Thread