New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · 70-200/2.8 IS II gone wild

big country
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 70-200/2.8 IS II gone wild

mine just went last month, thanfully i was able to get the 60% platinum discount before that ended.

i have used mine heavily since 2010, shooting over 150 weddings, endless engagement shoots and various other things.

i have four of them. the one i use gets the most use, but the others haven't had any issues and i would say they are used more than the average shooter.

Oct 17, 2013 at 08:01 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 70-200/2.8 IS II gone wild

rolette wrote:
The repair estimate came back. "Replace IS lens assembly. Clean and check all functions. Repair to good working order."

Out of Warranty Major Labor Charge: $359.00
Parts: $138.64

msalvetti called it.

Sorry about the expense. Interesting, they didn't charge me for any parts. Maybe because I am a CPS member.

Mark

Oct 17, 2013 at 09:22 PM
rolette
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 70-200/2.8 IS II gone wild

msalvetti wrote:
Interesting, they didn't charge me for any parts. Maybe because I am a CPS member.

That is interesting. Anyone else care to chime in about whether CPS affects how they charge for parts? I know about the discounts and shipping, but had never heard they waived other fees...

Jay

Oct 18, 2013 at 07:11 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 70-200/2.8 IS II gone wild

I joined CPS Gold last month because I knew I had this repair coming, and I would likely save the cost of membership.

As for parts, from what I've read here, Canon is inconsistent in how they handle that. I once had a shutter repaired on a 30D after warranty, but only about 30K clicks, and they only charged me labor. That was not CPS.

I've seen people here say they got some major service done on a clean and check coupon, and others not. Same with repairs, seems sometimes Canon is very generous with extras, and sometimes not.

I kind of feel you are more likely to get an extra perk with CPS, but no guarantees.

Mark

Oct 18, 2013 at 07:49 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 70-200/2.8 IS II gone wild

In Canada, CPS doesn't charge for parts. We have a fixed rate for lens repairs - it's about $300 +/- $30 for just about anything.

Oct 18, 2013 at 08:02 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 70-200/2.8 IS II gone wild

If Roger tells me my lens is bleeding poop, I'm going to believe him. He sees more of these than the average bear.

Same with big country. He's a seasoned pro and he's used a pile of gear.

Lens needs to go to Canon. My guess, $300-400.

SUcks that it happened to you. Hopefully you can get a discount.

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:27 PM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 70-200/2.8 IS II gone wild

Thanks Robert!

here is the repair cost of my lens, it looks like they did the 60% for parts as well. but now parts and labor are only 30%.

http://www.holzphotoclient.com/Other/Andrea-and-Ben/Color/i-xWmcH4n/0/XL/repair-XL.jpg

Oct 18, 2013 at 09:34 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.