New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What size soft box should i get

arize84
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What size soft box should i get

I'm starting to really get into flash photography, specifically speedlites. My kit currently currently consists of: 580exii, 270exii, rogues flash bender with diffuser, 1 light stand, 1 wireless tx/rx. I want to add a soft box and reflector to the mix. In the future I will probably invest in a light meter and more yonguno flashes etc. But for now I'm practicing on single person portrait photography. I know I want a box that is at least 30 inches. Should I go bigger? My most demanding shoot would most likely be to illuminate 2 people standing; but 80% of the time I would be doing head shots and upper body. Would also welcome any suggestions on a size for a reflector.

Oct 10, 2013 at 02:34 PM
arize84
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What size soft box should i get

Thanks Brian. I ended getting something similar to what you recommended just a cheaper Chinese version.

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-30-Inch-Octagon-Umbrella-Speedlite/dp/B00A3DLG7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381430696&sr=8-1&keywords=cowboystudio+octagon+umbrella+speedlite+softbox

Oct 10, 2013 at 04:56 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What size soft box should i get

arize84 wrote:
...I ended getting something similar to what you recommended just a cheaper Chinese version.

Cowboy Studio (appropriate for someone from Texas) has a pretty good following amongst budget-conscious shooters; they appear to have many useful products.

As with the Westcott Apollo line, your Cowboy octobox will be restricted in tilt angle by the upright running through the zippered opening. Short of getting a boom like I have, one option is to get another umbrella adapter/swivel and a section of dowel or pipe about 20 inches long. You'll put one swivel on the top of your stand, mount the pipe on that, then the second swivel to which you'll mount the box. Then you can tilt the box from the outside swivel without restriction.

Good luck, and have fun... pardner!

Oct 11, 2013 at 01:42 AM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What size soft box should i get

I'm always amazed when I hear the Westcott Apollo/Halo line referred to as the more expensive option. When I first got into flash photography 30+ years ago I started with the Halos and found them to be fragile and at the lower end of light mods. I upgraded to Plume and Chimera and never looked back.

FWIW, I've dug out some of the surviving Halos and am using them with my Qflashes for quick easy portable lighting. I guess it's a never ending circle.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What size soft box should i get

tedwca wrote:
I'm always amazed when I hear the Westcott Apollo/Halo line referred to as the more expensive option.

It's all relative. Compared to the Chinese counterfeits/copies they're more expensive, but compared to Chimera, Elinchrom, Profoto, etc. they're a bargain brand.

Speaking of which, I see that Profoto is now selling their own double-speedlight speedring mount for their soft boxes. For those who shoot both kinds of lights, that could be a worthwhile accessory.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What size soft box should i get

My point was 10 - 20 years ago there wasn't a cheaper option other than umbrella. It's hard for me to adjust my thinking since I haven't looked at modifiers at the lower end in years. I'm still trying to wrap my head around Pocket Wizards not being the only game in town.

Oct 11, 2013 at 05:29 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What size soft box should i get

You got to ask yourself, what are you really gaining on a small softbox over a cheap umbrella. IMO not much.

Oct 11, 2013 at 08:08 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What size soft box should i get

popinvasion wrote:
You got to ask yourself, what are you really gaining on a small softbox over a cheap umbrella. IMO not much.

We'll have to agree to disagree; IMO they are different tools that produce different results.

Oct 11, 2013 at 09:21 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What size soft box should i get

BrianO wrote:
We'll have to agree to disagree; IMO they are different tools that produce different results.

I understand your point and agree but not when we are talking small single light products. The difference between a single Speedlite compact softbox and an umbrella is negligible.

Oct 11, 2013 at 09:47 PM
rboate

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What size soft box should i get

I have the Lastolite Ezybox 24x24 and am happy with the results, I use it with either a Sigma 500 or Vivitar 285hv and shoot manual only with an Oly OMD EM5. Here is a link to some pics from last weekend which was my first attempt at using the softbox outside. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rboate/sets/72157636542860136/

Oct 17, 2013 at 05:10 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.