Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

RLDubbya
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

Looking for some feedback.

I've never had to send anything Nikon in for service.

I came across this link:

https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/336/~/how-do-i-get-my-nikon-product-repaired%3F

which pretty clearly states that you have to send in proof-of-purchase with your gear, even if you have the warranty card. That's my dealer always told me.

Is this true? If I happen to not have the original invoice, am I SOL, or can I still get service (even if that means paying for it?)

Thanks for any insight.

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

If its a warranty repair - then yes!

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

lukeb wrote:
If its a warranty repair - then yes!

Yes, you will need your proof of purchase for warranty work.

The "warranty card" seems to be of little or no use for anything, other than for camera store staff to send in a copy to claim spiffs.

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM
RLDubbya
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

Sorry. Wasn't being clear. From the provided link:

" Please include a photocopy of the receipt even if the problem is not a warranty issue or the product is beyond the warranty period."

So it reads like if I send in say a 90 day old 600 without an invoice, and am prepared to pay for service, I'm SOL.

True/false?

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

I just sent my D600 and the girl on the phone said to me:

"We need proof of payment and the warranty card to do warranty work". The way I read it (and I'm pretty sure it is) as long as you send proof of payment, then you are good. It does not mean it has to be on your name, just proof that somebody paid for it.

Oct 10, 2013 at 01:21 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

You should probably verify it customer service but I don't think you have to have the original invoice to get it repaired out of warranty.

The next step in that form is also confusing you have to check

This product is under Warranty.
Please note to obtain warranty service you will be required to provide a copy of your receipt and warranty card.

Oct 10, 2013 at 02:16 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

RLDubbya wrote:

" Please include a photocopy of the receipt even if the problem is not a warranty issue or the product is beyond the warranty period."

So it reads like if I send in say a 90 day old 600 without an invoice, and am prepared to pay for service, I'm SOL.

True/false?

They are looking to see if it's a USA camera or a grey market camera, I think.

Oct 10, 2013 at 02:19 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

leighton w wrote:
[
They are looking to see if it's a USA camera or a grey market camera, I think.

.I think you're right but shouldn’t they be able to tell that from the serial number

Oct 10, 2013 at 02:28 PM
RLDubbya
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

So if I'm reading that right, and the original proof of purchase is required, that pretty much shuts down buying used without getting that original proof of purchase - - unless I'm feeling very lucky.

It's my understanding (and please correct me if wrong) that Nikon won't supply 3rd party repair houses with parts, so, again, given the 600's track record, the only upside is that I could probably say that at least they used lube before ...

For a hobbyist, that might be OK. Starting a business, probably not the best of ideas.

Oct 10, 2013 at 03:27 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

I'd suggest contacting the seller (original owner) to ask for the pay slip for you to use the warranty. That's the only way I see.

If he bought online then it's as simple as going to the e-retailer, look up the order, hit the print button and click save as pdf, then email that to you. No more than 2 minutes..

Oct 10, 2013 at 03:31 PM
RLDubbya
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

Guari wrote:
I'd suggest contacting the seller (original owner) to ask for the pay slip for you to use the warranty. That's the only way I see.

If he bought online then it's as simple as going to the e-retailer, look up the order, hit the print button and click save as pdf, then email that to you. No more than 2 minutes..

Before I type another word:

This was not a transaction on this board. As far as I know, this individual does not have an account on this board. I have no complaint with anybody on this board.

Oh, I did. Suddenly, my emails are not returned, my PMs are ignored.

I also accept 100% responsibility for the transaction. I purchased the body. I should've asked up front. I didn't. I saw an opportunity to save a few hundred bucks, I took it.

Won't be the first time I made an asshole move. Won't be the last.

Oct 10, 2013 at 03:41 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

Hopefully you're camera is a USA Copy.

I called Nikon. I was told they can run the serial number through their data base and verify whether it is USA or Grey Market. If it is USA they will service it. If I were you I would get an email confirmation and send it with the camera to avoid questions from Service.

I know it sucks but if it's Grey Market they won't touch it.

Oct 10, 2013 at 05:39 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

Another stupid and customer hostile policy from Nikon.

Oct 10, 2013 at 07:07 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

Qoute from:What is Gray Market? https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/331
"Nikon Incorporated USA is the sole authorized importer of Nikon Corporation of Japan for photographic devices. Nikon Inc. USA pays shipping into the USA, import duties and taxes, and provides service, support and downloads for these products. Nikon Inc. USA ensures that the products they import are fully certified and safe for use in the USA market.
Nikon Inc. USA cannot provide service, support or downloads for products that have not been imported by Nikon Inc. USA."

I agree it should be easier to identify Gray Market items in the used market.
USA lens sn is preceeded by USxxxxx
Camera sn can be verified with NIKON USA

Oct 10, 2013 at 08:08 PM
RLDubbya
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

MitchSC wrote:
Hopefully you're camera is a USA Copy.

I called Nikon. I was told they can run the serial number through their data base and verify whether it is USA or Grey Market. If it is USA they will service it. If I were you I would get an email confirmation and send it with the camera to avoid questions from Service.

I know it sucks but if it's Grey Market they won't touch it.

Thanks - I appreciate that information! I'm not complaining - my decision, made in ignorance. Not like Nikon enacted the policy just for me.

I'm also not saying I agree with the policy. I'm just making sure I understand the practical fallout at this time.

Andre Labonte wrote:
Another stupid and customer hostile policy from Nikon.

I honestly am not sure. I certainly see the downside. I also think there might be an upside, in that it just might prevent stolen items from being serviced. If more people decided that it wasn't worth the risk of saving a couple hundred bucks to buy a piece of gear with a questionable background, then that just might lessen the monetary incentive of theft of normally highly desirable items.

This policy certainly isn't hostile to anybody who purchases Nikon gear through a traditional outlet, and saves their receipt, as most people would. Even if I were to purchase in say Japan, I'm still covered - I personally am allowed to import.

Oct 10, 2013 at 08:34 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

RLDubbya wrote:

True/false?

False - I've sent my PC-E's in (no sales slip or w/c)

Sent my D-700'd in - no sales slip or w/c

Just fill out there repair form, keep a copy, stick one in the box, and make sure your goodies are protected. I take mine to the UPS store and have them do it - then if there is a problem, no questions asked.

Oct 10, 2013 at 08:38 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

Or send it to APS in Morton Grove, IL. They don't get all upset about gray market.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

They ask to send the receipt (if available) along so that they can determine if the item is covered under warranty. There is no check box in their forms that you claim warranty, at least I did not see one. It's filled out the same way for warranty or non-warranty repairs. If you don't include the receipt or the warranty time has elapsed, they will simply charge you for the repair.

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

I once had a problem with a D7000 when I was traveling in the US, it was an EU product and they fixed it at no charge in the US... If you gave nps, they will fix everything, everywhere. (turnaround was 2 Days btw, but it was a very minor issue)

Oct 11, 2013 at 02:40 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon Service: Original Invoice Required?

Look at the serial number of the camera. If it is a Nikon US model the serial number should start with a
3. I don't know about a lens serial number. Someone has already mentioned APS for service. They are an authorized Nikon repair facility.

Oct 11, 2013 at 09:14 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.