New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Help me improve my focus when more than one person is in scene

gel685
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Help me improve my focus when more than one person is in scene

Move your subject farther away from the background and stop down. More of your subject will be in focus but the background will still be less in focus. Framing your subject the same with a longer focal length (photographer must step back) will result in less background. Many people think a longer focal length decreases depth of field. It actually just reduces background distraction giving the appearance of less DOF.

Oct 11, 2013 at 09:04 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Help me improve my focus when more than one person is in scene

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I'm always surprised how much I have to stop down to get more than one person in total focus even when they seem loosely aligned in a plane. Usually even f/5.6 is not enough, mostly because you are usually within a a few metres of the subject so DoF is small even at f/5.6

That's very true. You'd think f5.6 would nail it - but nope.

As I have said before, talk and advice will only get photogs so far - people really need to practice thereby familiarising themselves with their kit.

Oct 11, 2013 at 09:04 AM
Gravitytoy
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Help me improve my focus when more than one person is in scene

Follow the old photojournalists creed: "f/8 and be there"

I love wide open shots for single subjects or relatively static situations...

but

If it's a group, I'll always stop down to at least f/8 and will often bracket a few shots around this aperture to assure I get everyone in focus (and to assure that everyone's eyes are open, they are smiling the best, etc..)

Oct 11, 2013 at 09:19 AM
Access
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Help me improve my focus when more than one person is in scene

gel685 wrote:
Many people think a longer focal length decreases depth of field. It actually just reduces background distraction giving the appearance of less DOF.

This is what I mean by pure semantics. If DOF is going to be used/modeled this way, then it becomes a rather useless/meaningless concept for a working photographer.

When talking about the qualities of a photograph, does it make sense to distinguish between 'actuality' and 'appearance'?

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.