Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · I can't stand TTL but my manual flash skills need some tweaks.

Jamesstanley

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I can't stand TTL but my manual flash skills need some tweaks.

TTL is hit or miss for me. Manual I really like. I generally bring down the ambient to give me the room look that I am looking for. Generally I go quite dark so my flash is really a key light. I then bounce 45 off the ceiling, or a nearby wall. It looks great but I still don't have confidence in my efforts. Outdoor shots I bounce card. Or I do use 2 umbrellas but that's rare since friends seem to want to rush things. Any advice? Thanks

Oct 09, 2013 at 08:45 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I can't stand TTL but my manual flash skills need some tweaks.

Sounds like the right approach conceptually, but I'd be careful about underexposing the ambient room light too much. Your description sounds to me like you really want to draw attention to your lighting strategy, when what you ought to be doing is using your flash to enhance the subject in their environment. I rarely go more than a stop under for the ambient. As for outdoors, I don't think using a speed light's internal bounce card (if that's what you mean) does anything for you. If you mean bouncing off a reflector, that's a valid strategy if you have a way to hold the reflector. If you have that, then you have the ability to use off-camera flash, in which case the strategy above still works. Make sense?

Oct 09, 2013 at 11:08 PM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I can't stand TTL but my manual flash skills need some tweaks.

what really helped me with my lighting was getting a flash meter. Im a manual guy also and getting a flashmeter really helped speed up my shooting.

Oct 18, 2013 at 05:56 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.