New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · 85L front element cleaning - error

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 85L front element cleaning - error

I really see some odd ways to clean lenses lately.

A simple blower, a little soft brush, an optical cloth and you'll be great.

Hell, I think last night was the first time I've cleaned my lenses in over a year. To each his own, but it takes a decent amount of filth before anything degrades the optical quality.

The UV protection filter will probably degrade the quality more than the dirt will.

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 85L front element cleaning - error

dhphoto wrote:
Personally I would never use water to clean a lens because it doesn't evaporate that quickly, I use the Zeiss cleaning tissues which are pre-moistened with alcohol or carbon tet and they work very well

I thought carbon tet was banned from consumer products. Certainly if we want to use it in the research labs we get a very large pile of paperwork to fill in first - it's not the healthiest solvent I can think of....

Oct 13, 2013 at 02:38 PM
form
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 85L front element cleaning - error

I only clean my lenses if they have fingerprints or other smearing substances that produce visible IQ issues. I bought a B+W MRC uv/haze filter, I don't believe in getting cheapo filters and AFAIK these are some of the best around...

Oct 13, 2013 at 02:58 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 85L front element cleaning - error

form wrote:
I only clean my lenses if they have fingerprints or other smearing substances that produce visible IQ issues. I bought a B+W MRC uv/haze filter, I don't believe in getting cheapo filters and AFAIK these are some of the best around...

I'm willing to bet that it's not as good as the front element of your lens. You want to put a pane of flat glass over a rounded piece of glass, in the off chance that you get a smudge on the lens?

Put a hood on it and forget it.

Oct 13, 2013 at 03:23 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 85L front element cleaning - error

I agree with Robert. The lesson to learn from your mistake is not that you need to spend 100 bucks on a filter, but that you need to spend 10 bucks on the correct cleaning solution and to think about what you are doing a little more carefully in future.

Oct 13, 2013 at 03:33 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 85L front element cleaning - error

form wrote:
... I don't believe in getting cheapo filters and AFAIK these are some of the best around...

I use only hand cut Lexan (home made) filters ... Shooting at Road Atlanta brings other dangers to good ... high quality glass ... like gravel from the trapes when an out "out of control" ... 180mph race care knocks it all over and most of it at you and your best piece of glass ...

I'd like to see your "high dollar" filters stand up to that ...

Jefferson

Oct 13, 2013 at 03:43 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 85L front element cleaning - error

Brea wrote:
That's because it ultimately depends on the type of micro-fiber... there's so many that use the wrong material.

Assuming the actual fabric isn't contaminated with steel wool, the main problem with Miocrofiber is that it accumulates all the crap it comes in contact with. A lone grain of sand picked up off a lens can go on to scratch dozens of other surfaces before the user belatedly tosses the contaminated cloth.

Much better are polyester swabs or wipes, or even cotton pads; all used ONCE and then promptly thrown away! As for solvent, a breath of condensation is often enough. If more is required, use an eyedropper to apply a small dollop of distilled water and/or isopropyl or methanol to the gooped surface.

As always, the best way to clean an optic is to not clean it at all. Unless you've got large chunks of cheeseburger stuck to the glass, fight the OCD and just continue shooting.

Edited on Oct 17, 2013 at 03:36 PM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Shaun Nyc
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 85L front element cleaning - error

RobertLynn wrote:
I really see some odd ways to clean lenses lately. .

What's odd about pouring water on a 85L ?!

Oct 15, 2013 at 07:13 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 85L front element cleaning - error

Greg Campbell wrote:
As always, the best way to clean an optic is to not clean it at all. Unless you've got large chunks of cheeseburger stuck to the glass, fight the OSD and just continue shooting.

I completely disagree. even smallish spots can easily degrade an image (even more so if they are on the rear element), which is why I never use filters (except in hazardous places) and always use lens hoods

Oct 15, 2013 at 07:42 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 85L front element cleaning - error

dhphoto wrote:
I completely disagree. even smallish spots can easily degrade an image (even more so if they are on the rear element), which is why I never use filters (except in hazardous places) and always use lens hoods

The rear element is true, but the front element, no. I've had blood spatter on lenses and the photos were fine. I've been asked at presentations on combat sports photography I've given, how I clean blood. I say I use alcohol if I catch it right away, otherwise if it's a couple weeks old, just whatever I clean my lenses with normally. I was asked if I worried about (amongst other things) degradation of image quality.

I took my thumb, licked it, and put a big glob of slobber all over the front element of my lens, and began to make photographs from 2.8-8. No noticeable degradation of IQ. Maybe if we have a micrometer or some namby pamby nilly willy b/s we would notice, but seriously, the front element can be quite filthy before you notice anything wrong with it.

Scratches on the other hand are a little different as they can introduce more surfaces to flare, but in reality it's not really a big deal either.

Some discussions on the photography forums will never change. raw/jpg, filter/no filter, and how do we clean our "gears", and for that matter, gear/gears.

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:24 AM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 85L front element cleaning - error

A blower will remove most dirt and dust.

A clean cotton cloth (like a t-shirt) will take care of 99% of dust and smudges. Just don't rub hard.

A drop or two of Eclipse fluid will dissolve the stubborn stuff. Apply it to the cloth and not directly to the lens surface.

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:35 AM
bogeypro
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 85L front element cleaning - error

I concerned myself with lint & dust on the front element until I read this article, now I'm not so anal about it.
http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

Edited on Oct 17, 2013 at 08:54 AM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:47 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 85L front element cleaning - error

Bung link.

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:52 AM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 85L front element cleaning - error

bogeypro wrote:
I concerned myself with lint & dust on the front element until I read this article, now I'm not so anal about it.
http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35html

http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

Oct 16, 2013 at 02:40 PM
bogeypro
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 85L front element cleaning - error

sorry Paul & thanks Jon for the correction, I fixed it as well

Oct 17, 2013 at 08:56 AM
JVJL

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 85L front element cleaning - error

A few years ago I was cleaning my lens with Eclipse. The next morning large areas of the rubber on the focus ring were completely dissolved and some paint was peeling off the barrel. Upon close examination the damaged areas were exactly where my fingers were in contact with the lens while holding it for cleaning. It seems that a very small amount of Eclipse had gotten on my fingers and subsequently transferred to the lens. Ever since that incident I decided never to use Eclipse / methanol as a cleaning agent. While methanol has the advantage of fast evaporation, with little residue, it will destroy non-glass materials that it comes in contact with.

Jon Joshua wrote:
A drop or two of Eclipse fluid will dissolve the stubborn stuff. Apply it to the cloth and not directly to the lens surface.

Oct 17, 2013 at 05:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.