FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Cattitude

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cattitude

Not much going on, just play.

Bob

But looking again does raise a question - notice the imperfect whiskers in #2. The image is a processed jpg. #3 is the RAF (Fuji raw, X-trans, processed with PhotoNinja which supports the X-t) and the whiskers don't exhibit the same issues, I just happened to post a larger, cropped version.

Any ideas how they (if?) they can be prevented? Other than don't degrade the jpg with processing?

Thanks

Oct 09, 2013 at 06:41 PM
silvawispa
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cattitude

Nice pussy.
#2 issue: I recognise it, it's an anti-aliasing issue. I don't know how to fix it though, sorry.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cattitude

silvawispa wrote:
Nice pussy.
#2 issue: I recognise it, it's an anti-aliasing issue. I don't know how to fix it though, sorry.

Thanks Paul,

Yup, and I've noticed sometimes pseudo-zoom in a browser spawns similar behavior depending on the zoom factor.

Persists throughout here though...

Bob

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cattitude

Did you work at full size and then at the very end shrink it for final display size?

Oct 10, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cattitude

AuntiPode wrote:
Did you work at full size and then at the very end shrink it for final display size?

Nope - downsized from the in-camera jpg which most often returns results far better than what I could ever accomplish with LR re WB etc. I did change the resolution for downsizing 240->72. That have an impact?

Oct 10, 2013 at 03:35 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cattitude

Stair stepping in this case is probably an interaction of size, resolution and the display pixel size. As an experiment I took a single jpg and displayed it full size on my display and took a partial screen grab. Then I reduced the size of the displayed image (opposite of enlarging it), without altering the file, and took another partial screen grab. I combined the screen grabs, enlarging the second to bring them closer in size. Notice the display resolution added stair-stepping to displaying the whiskers when the images was displayed at a smaller size, even though the file displayed was exactly the same.

Take you image and try displaying it at different sizes and determine whether the stair-stepping is in the image or is just an artifact of how the image is displayed. If it's in the image, it's probably an issue with reducing the resolution that interacts with the image size. If there's no stair-stepping when viewed large, it's not an image processing issue.

Oct 10, 2013 at 04:13 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cattitude

AuntiPode wrote:
Stair stepping in this case is probably an interaction of size, resolution and the display pixel size. As an experiment I took a single jpg and displayed it full size on my display and took a partial screen grab. Then I reduced the size of the displayed image (opposite of enlarging it), without altering the file, and took another partial screen grab. I combined the screen grabs, enlarging the second to bring them closer in size. Notice the display resolution added stair-stepping to displaying the whiskers when the images was displayed at a smaller size, even though the file displayed
...Show more

Just explored what you suggest, jpg at 100% is clean, I suspect reducing the display is the culprit, curious if the effect transfers to a print, not that I'm going to print this but good to know.

Thanks for your help

Bob

Oct 10, 2013 at 07:18 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cattitude

interesting technical question and enlightening discussion
but the cuteness overwhelms other considerations

Scott

Oct 10, 2013 at 07:21 PM
GeorgieGirl
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cattitude

Bob Jarman wrote:
Not much going on, just play.

Bob

But looking again does raise a question - notice the imperfect whiskers in #2. The image is a processed jpg. #3 is the RAF (Fuji raw, X-trans, processed with PhotoNinja which supports the X-t) and the whiskers don't exhibit the same issues, I just happened to post a larger, cropped version.

Any ideas how they (if?) they can be prevented? Other than don't degrade the jpg with processing?

Thanks

I do not see any whisker issues in any of the the three images on my Mac.Book.Pro.

Oct 10, 2013 at 07:45 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cattitude

My display is 1920 x 1200. Is your Macbook a retinal display model?

Oct 10, 2013 at 08:34 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cattitude

Of course, if cat mustaches are the subject....

Oct 10, 2013 at 08:36 PM
GeorgieGirl
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cattitude

AuntiPode wrote:
My display is 1920 x 1200. Is your Macbook a retinal display model?

My display is the same as yours. Its a 2009 model so no retina but it does have the enhanced graphics that were offered at that time for this large macbook.

Oct 11, 2013 at 06:27 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cattitude

On my system Preview and Photoshop display the image differently than Safari. Try copying the image jpg and displaying this image in Preview and then hit the zoom minus two or three times or hold down the command key and hit the minus sign two or three times. I suspect you'll see the stair-stepping of the whiskers. You probably won't see it if you view the image in Safari. (On my system using Snow Leopard, the stair-stepping appears momentarily in Safari and then the image is re-displayed without the stair-steps.) I also see the stair-stepping when I reduce the display size in Photoshop using command-"-".

Oct 11, 2013 at 06:23 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.