New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Filter stackage for landscapes

photogwest
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Filter stackage for landscapes

This is more of a technique question, rather than gear question, and I wanted the experts here to help me with it.

The only filter I've been using for landscapes is the B+W slim CPL (77mm). But for certain lighting situations I've wanted an ND filter, especially for waterfalls. So I pulled the trigger on the B+W Vari-ND XS-pro for 1-5 stops of help, thinking if need be I could screw the polarizer onto the outside of the ND filter. Lo and behold, the threads do not match up.

So question is: what are your suggestions for using a polarizer and ND filter together? Is it possible without a drop-in square system? Should I even worry about the polarizer for shots when I'm using the ND filter? Should I send the vari-ND filter back and use square ND filters handheld in front of my CPL on the end of the lens?

As a side note, the variable-ND filter is so cool!

Thanks,
Aaron

Oct 09, 2013 at 03:23 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Filter stackage for landscapes

Im not an expert, but I can try to help. Using a variable ND in conjuction with a polarizer will most likely cause banding problems, or just stop the light completely. A variable ND already has a circular and a linear polarizer built into it, thats what makes it variable

I have both circular filters, and the drop in LEE system. They both have their pros and cons, but I use the circular filters a lot more often. I have the 77mm B+W slim polarizer and 77mm Hoya ND400. I find this pairing slightly annoying though, because every time I want to add my ND I need to remove my thin polarizer, then screw it into the front of the ND. At least it doesnt cause vignetting being thin though right?

Oct 09, 2013 at 03:45 PM
photogwest
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Filter stackage for landscapes

Hey Justin. OK, I was curious about that. So the vari-ND already has a polarizer built in? I guess I need to get out and use it to see (I just received it in the mail and was frustrated I couldn't screw them together).

So you're saying the only reason to use them together would be to reduce additional light, not add the polarization effect since the ND already polarizes AND darkens? I can deal with that.

I also am partial to the circular filters. I now have 77mm lenses in all my focal ranges so as to avoid the extra cost. Next step is to look into graduated ND's, but I can learn to hand-hold them.

Maybe these don't screw together because the vari-ND is also a slim design for wide angle lenses. I do clearly see filters on it though!

Oct 09, 2013 at 03:59 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Filter stackage for landscapes

"slim" filters usually dont have threads on the fron of them, making them thinner. It also makes them not able to have another filter screwed onto the front. Get a regular ND and you will have male and female threads that you can thread other filters on to

Oct 09, 2013 at 04:11 PM
96Brigadier

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Filter stackage for landscapes

Justin Grimm wrote:
A variable ND already has a circular and a linear polarizer built into it, thats what makes it variable

Are you sure about that? The Singh-Ray Vari-n-Duo has a model with a built in circular polarizer and variable ND, but I thought the B+W filter that the OP is asking about does not have a built in CP, it is just a variable ND filter from 1 to 5 stops.

Oct 09, 2013 at 05:38 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Filter stackage for landscapes

96Brigadier wrote:
Are you sure about that? The Singh-Ray Vari-n-Duo has a model with a built in circular polarizer and variable ND, but I thought the B+W filter that the OP is asking about does not have a built in CP, it is just a variable ND filter from 1 to 5 stops.

I came across this problem when I bought a used variable filter and tried stacking, but I might have the explanation wrong. Mine turned black when rotated, and even banded in certain positions. Perhaps some variable filters work differently then others.

Aaron, you should be able to test this by hand. I'd like to know how your filters react!

Oct 09, 2013 at 08:15 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Filter stackage for landscapes

Stackage

EBH

Oct 09, 2013 at 08:21 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Filter stackage for landscapes

96Brigadier wrote:

The duo version has a warming polarizer.
From what I've read, all the variable NDs have a polarizing element.

Oct 09, 2013 at 11:46 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Filter stackage for landscapes

I have a selection of Kodak Wratten ND filters, cut to fit inside 77mm and 82mm filters. Whenever I need more ND effect than one glass CP or ND filter can give me, I just insert one or a few Wrattens inside it. Works like a charm, and they're relatively inexpensive.

Oct 10, 2013 at 07:04 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Filter stackage for landscapes

For screw in filters it really depends on what lens you use. On most UWA lenses it may be impossible without a little mechanical vignetting. On a more standard or telephoto focal lengths/zooms you may have a better chance of it working without vignetting. Since you have the slim B+W CPL you could try and find the slimmest ND filter that allows stacking. I'm not sure if B+W makes a slim ND. I believe Heliopan does make a slim ND, which is probably equally as good as B+W in terms of quality.

Other than that you other options are like 96Brigadier mentioned a variable ND with a built in polarizer from Singh Ray or just get a drop-in setup. Also note that some UWA lenses may get some vignetting with the Singh-Ray Vari-n-Duo alone since they are fairly thick in comparison to just a standard screw in ND. Emailing the company also never hurts too.

Oct 10, 2013 at 04:30 PM
Boccanegra

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Filter stackage for landscapes

I might suggest keeping your 77mm CPL and getting a 100mm square ND filter, maybe a .9 ND. Then use both on a PROGREY G-100X holder system. You won't have a problem like you're having with the variable ND. Plus, you'll have a great setup for other filters as well.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:13 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.