Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Looking To Get Into NEX. 5R or 6?

BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking To Get Into NEX. 5R or 6?

After a failed attempt at compact APS-C cameras with a Canon EOS M (disliked the image quality immensely), the NEX 5R and 6 are really the only other cameras out there that would work for me. I'm coming from a Nikon D7100, and apparently, Nikon's sensors are the ones to beat. I've messed with RAWs from so many other cameras, and besides FF cameras, none really beat or even match the D7100's dynamic range or high ISO color retention/noise suppression. The NEXs were the closest, and seemed to be best suited to my processing style (as much DR as possible, good amount of mid/high ISO shooting), with Sony mid/high end sensors doing well in general. IMO, the two NEXs' overall image quality sits right between the D7000 and D7100. So the question is, which should I go for, the 5R or the 6?

Probably the biggest things weighing on my mind are the EVF and the controls on the body. In general, I'll be using this as my everyday camera, shooting random things like clouds, sunsets, plants, animals, insects, etc. The D7100 will be saved for sports and weddings. So the NEX's controls don't need to be as accessible as the D7100, but I also don't want to be fumbling through a ton of menus to get to basic settings (shutter speed, aperture, ISO, exposure compensation, AF mode, AF/MF mode, etc.). How much easier to use is the 6 vs the 5R?

Also, I had no problem just using the screen on the EOS M, though the weather's been kinda bad since I got it (figures), so I haven't really used it in direct sunlight. How does the NEX 5R's screen do in bright light? Would I need to eventually pick up the viewfinder, which would make it more expensive than the 6?

Oct 09, 2013 at 12:06 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking To Get Into NEX. 5R or 6?

Once you've set up the nex there's not much menu diving. Get the nex-6 or nex-7 with the evf.

Oct 09, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking To Get Into NEX. 5R or 6?

I just had a chance for testing Nex5r, Nex6 and Nex7 for a week and I chose the Nex6. Slightly better build quality, better controls and evf were the deciding factors to choose it before Nex5. Didn't like the Nex7 sensor nor hotshoe. After I set the camera up I haven't had any need to go into menus much, but I mostly shoot in aperture priority and I only change between iso100/auto iso. I really like the size and form factor after dragging large dlsr for the last 10 years.

I've had the D7000 before so Nex6 changed nothing in my post processing workflow, which is a relief.

Oct 09, 2013 at 01:07 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking To Get Into NEX. 5R or 6?

Getting the 5R with EVF is less appealing than the 6 IMHO. So the question pretty much boils down to: EVF or no EVF. My answer is: get the 6. I've had a NEX 5, then C3, then 5N, then 7. I love shooting from the waist, with the LCD tilted up. But, now that I have a choice between LCD and EVF, I find that I use the EVF at least 30% of the time, and wouldn't go back to LCD alone. Besides, the 6 gives you other goodies, like the electronic level. And, while some love the minimal 5-sized body, others prefer the slightly more substantial 6.
But you might also want to wait until next week when FF NEX gets announced...

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:26 AM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking To Get Into NEX. 5R or 6?

Tbh I expected the evf to be better on 6. In dim light its super lasgtastic. Reports that the rx1 evf is the same or similar prevented me ordering one. With this white point led stuff view not had an issue in AZ sun with the LCD.
The flash on the 6 is very awkward to hold for bounce when using MF lenses IMO, on the other hand the 5 real needs fvl 20 IMO.

I am also disappointed with how poorly peaking shows in the evf, am I missing a separate setting?

I had a 5n before

Oct 10, 2013 at 02:43 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking To Get Into NEX. 5R or 6?

Well, looks like the 6 it is, then!

Now, onto lenses. I see lots of the lenses get pretty bad test results (especially the 18-55), but I really haven't seen anything offensive in sample RAWs or full size JPGs. Right now, I'm looking at the Zeiss F/2.8 trio, possibly replacing the 19mm with the Sony 20mm for compactness. Opinions/suggestions? This is a secondary camera, so I don't want to break the bank on lenses (like I did with the D7100 ).

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:03 AM
jonrock
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking To Get Into NEX. 5R or 6?

If you want to go for best bang for your buck, you can try out the Sigma 19mm, 30mm, and 60mm. f2.8 E-mount lenses.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:29 AM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking To Get Into NEX. 5R or 6?

jonrock wrote:
If you want to go for best bang for your buck, you can try out the Sigma 19mm, 30mm, and 60mm. f2.8 E-mount lenses.

Ah, yeah, I meant Sigma instead of Zeiss. I'm used to Nikon, where I rarely have to buy a third party lens to get incredible IQ. Only have the Rokinon 8mm and Tokina 11-16, with the rest being Nikons, though I'm seriously eyeing the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8.

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:03 PM
mikesul
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking To Get Into NEX. 5R or 6?

I have had both 5R and 6 and loved them both. The 5r is wonderful for most purposes because of it's size, It really is significantly smaller than the 6. However, I have kept the 6 because I found the add on evf for the 5R awkward. I also like the built in flash of the 6. These are very minor quibbles. Both cameras are good and take identical quality photos.

Feb 08, 2014 at 03:26 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking To Get Into NEX. 5R or 6?

Ha, old thread.

Wound up with the 6 and a Metabones Nikon G to E Mount Speed Booster. Couldn't be happier. IQ isn't up to par with my D7100, but it's still amazing, especially with the Speed Booster and Samyang 85mm F/1.4. It's my camera of choice for manual focus and artistic stuff, while my D7100 has been reassigned to sports and technical/max quality stuff.

Yeah, absolutely love the built-in bouceable flash. Usually steered away from using an external flash on my D7100 because of the bulk, but the 6's flash is great, and pretty powerful considering how tiny it is.

Feb 08, 2014 at 04:00 PM
beardown34

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking To Get Into NEX. 5R or 6?

i do find myself using the flash on the nex-6 a surprising number of times

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:16 PM
nianys
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking To Get Into NEX. 5R or 6?

I have 5R, 6, 7. 7 is still king for feel in the hand and user interface, however I give the IQ edge to the 6 (by a small margin) so unless like me you're totally hooked on the 7, get the 6. It's a superb camera.

Feb 25, 2014 at 05:49 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.