Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

Every vendor gaming you, from flowers to venues...every moment a production, a business decision...the event itself a sideshow for people to 'gram or tweet. For me, my wedding will be maybe 10 people max...an elopement or a destination...don't know if I'll even have a photographer, if anything...what are your personal feelings on weddings for yourself (potentially), or is retrospect (if past)?

Edited on Oct 09, 2013 at 10:08 AM · View previous versions

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:01 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

Don't really believe in marriage myself.

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:02 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

my wedding was fantastic and a huge production... mostly it was because Jackie's parents wanted so many people but it was still awesome. Baines and Schreiber did an amazing job on photos and we all had a kick as time.
We did not let all the BS of wedding effect us because we did most everything ourselves.

My brother just got married as well and it was equally amazing minus the weather. He had a few blips with the caterer not communicating well but the actual day was flawless. His wife ordered flowers from a local shop my parents have been going to for years and even though I planner quite a few moments for photo sake it is kinda what his bride wanted for picture sake.

I don't think you have to get caught up in anything that has to do with the wedding machine. You are free to do things exactly like you want. If you want to go small go small... if you want to go big go big. I think destination weddings are great but everyone is different. I would also hire someone you really respect and love to do photos. I think you will have huge regrets if you do not do photos.

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:10 AM
DONIV
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

having my own wedding was one of the best things that helped my business. totally different perspective being on the client's side. you really understand what works/what doesn't (selling and shots). also, you realize how important your job (a photographer) is. it's a lot more fulfilling selling a product that you genuinely believe in.

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:13 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

DONIV wrote:
having my own wedding was one of the best things that helped my business. totally different perspective being on the client's side. you really understand what works/what doesn't (selling and shots). also, you realize how important your job (a photographer) is. it's a lot more fulfilling selling a product that you genuinely believe in.

Don't get me wrong, from a business perspective, I truly feel I am in line with what my clients want; at least their responses to the product they recieve, the thank yous, etc all suggest as much - but my opinion of my own wedding would be simply that I want what's important: that is two people, only the closest family/friends, no crazy frills, dresses, flowers..bleh.

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:18 AM
EVO088
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

had a destination wedding and I LOVE every part of it! ONLY closest friends and family .. even thou I got married before i started my business

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:19 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

JC I do not disagree with your sentiments about weddings being a little over the top. For business it is good but it might not fit the person actually getting married.

I really really really hope you hire someone to shoot photos... even if that someone is a friend (photo friend... you have a ton of them). Just having someone there to document the fun times, the laughs, the goofy stuff is really important. You don't need crazy lighting setups or amazing portraits or anything like that. Just someone to get those little moments so you have some remembrance of the event.

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:22 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

hardlyboring wrote:
JC I do not disagree with your sentiments about weddings being a little over the top. For business it is good but it might not fit the person actually getting married.

I really really really hope you hire someone to shoot photos... even if that someone is a friend (photo friend... you have a ton of them). Just having someone there to document the fun times, the laughs, the goofy stuff is really important. You don't need crazy lighting setups or amazing portraits or anything like that. Just someone to get those little moments so you have some remembrance of
...Show more

I understand. FWIW I'd certainly lean towards a proper photog.

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:24 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

jeremy_clay wrote:
I understand. FWIW I'd certainly lean towards a proper photog.

Ya for sure. Perhaps someone that looks good in a bathing suit as well so they fit in haha

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:30 AM
bwield
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

My wife and I are still really happy with our wedding. Don't think I would change anything.
People still comment on our photographer though...

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:32 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

bwield wrote:
My wife and I are still really happy with our wedding. Don't think I would change anything.
People still comment on our photographer though...

Your tog was sexy as fuark though.

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:32 AM
bwield
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

jeremy_clay wrote:
Your tog was sexy as fuark though.

This is generally what we hear

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

I got married before I became a wedding photographer... you could say that's WHY I became a wedding photographer... so people would not have horrific wedding photos like ours.

I'd do lots of things differently.

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:36 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

Inku Yo wrote:
I got married before I became a wedding photographer... you could say that's WHY I became a wedding photographer... so people would not have horrific wedding photos like ours.

I'd do lots of things differently.

Feel free to elaborate if comfortable to do so

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:37 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

jclay, i think your described wedding is perfect for the right photographer to cover. it wouldnt be about the photos at all but more about the intimacy of the day.

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:40 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

I'm with Rich. I don't actually believe in marriage for myself. That said, Charlotte will probably have the final say on that in a few years. For my own day I want majorly low key. I'll care about the photographs but I'll be interested in preserving as much PJ flow as possible. I'm going to allow 6 groups:

- Wedding Party
- Parents x3 (Both sides & combined)
- Immediate family x2

That'll be that. No more fucking about.

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:41 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

canerino wrote:
jclay, i think your described wedding is perfect for the right photographer to cover. it wouldnt be about the photos at all but more about the intimacy of the day.

In on sales pitch.

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:44 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

tonyhart wrote:
Charlotte will probably have the final say

or else

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:46 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

ricardovaste wrote:
or else

See, this sh*t is some of what grinds my gears - the idea that there are certain 'must haves' for a wedding to be "proper"...like, the number of times I've talked with brides who wanted X (..or grooms who wanted Y...) but were TOLD that "...well, it's your wedding, you HAVE to have *this..!* or the family will be offended/your brother will be upset/you just HAVE to/...it's all so silly. What is truly important gets to lost in the sideshow that I truly feel bad for some couples.

Edited on Oct 09, 2013 at 10:52 AM · View previous versions

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:51 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Working Weddings Has Killed My Desire To Have (a traditional) One

jeremy_clay wrote:
In on sales pitch.

oh, no. no pitch at all...i'm not the right photographer. i'd suggest it be a photographer who you are truly friends with (perhaps one of the 10 people in your circle) to take casual snaps during the day with no expectation of a final product. i bet it would yield a killer set.

Oct 09, 2013 at 10:52 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.