New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Gear Cart

Dave_E
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gear Cart

This spring we went out to a remote park to photograph some of the bird migration, and I saw several photographers pushing all their gear like long lens's, tripods bags on three wheel carts. It may have just been modified strollers. I was wondering if anyone has a camera specific cart or modified stroller arrangement that is handy for pushing lots of gear for long periods of time, in lieu of carrying on your back.

Dave

Oct 09, 2013 at 08:03 AM
OBXGuide
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gear Cart

Here's a link to my web site where I show the equipment cart I use. It's a slightly modified (painted) fishing cart, which comes with fat wheels designed specifically for sand and soft ground like you would expect to find where you would be out shooting wildlife. You would normally pull this, but it can be pushed I suppose.

http://www.carolinawildphoto.com/EquipmentCart.htm

Might give you an idea what you could do.

Oct 09, 2013 at 08:59 AM
decoop

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gear Cart

The Ekla cart is pretty good. I've got one and am pleased with it - http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/eckla-multi-rolly-gear-cart.html

Oct 09, 2013 at 09:18 AM
OBXGuide
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gear Cart

Looks like yours has smaller wheels, but being able to fold it up for loading in the car is a nice option. I have to carry mine in the truck bed, but I'd have to get the larger "Beach Rolly" for my gear. The beach rolly is not much price difference from what I made, though I'd want to camo it up a bit - don't care for the shiny aluminum out in a shooting situation.

I see B&H photo carries it too.

Oct 09, 2013 at 09:46 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gear Cart

Another ideal along the baby stroller type is made by rugged gear. Look them up on the web

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM
dlabrecque
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gear Cart

Feisol also makes a couple of models that are all CF or a combination of CF and Aluminum and double as a tripod. Never saw anyone who owns one of these, but they look like they fold up nicely for traveling. Doubt they can carry as much as the models above, but for short hauls over level ground, they'd probably manage okay.

http://www.feisol.net/handcarts-c-15.html

Personally I use an older luggage trolley; you know, the kind they used to sell for luggage before everyone started putting wheels and handles on bags. It's gotta be at least 20yrs old now, but I still use it for my largest 50lb camera bag, plus whatever I can manage to stack on top of that.

Oct 10, 2013 at 01:01 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gear Cart

Reach out to Lil Judd, she hauls around her Sigmonster on one.

Oct 10, 2013 at 01:12 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gear Cart

Carts & Handtrucks

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Oct 10, 2013 at 04:08 PM
OBXGuide
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gear Cart

Whatever you choose, if you plan to be out in the boonies with it, be sure you get one with soft, fat, inflatable pneumatic tires for use on soft, wet ground, sand, going over tree roots and rocks, etc. Hard wheels will give a hard ride, be harder to control, and bounce your gear unmercifully.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Dave_E
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gear Cart

Thanks to all for the advise this is great. I agree with several people who have said get large wheels for going through soft or wet sand and dirt. I have also been told some golf pull carts make a great camera gear carry dolly..

Dave

Oct 11, 2013 at 04:04 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gear Cart

The following Wesco folding hand truck has nice big wheels, and a lot of load capacity, and still folds up to a fairly small package. It is obviously overkill for most needs, and costs a lot, but still, I am seriously considering it for hauling a bunch of photo or astronomy gear.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/367966-REG/Wesco_220650_Mega_Mover_Folding_Handtruck.html

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gear Cart

due to the positioning of the wheels it is less then optimal on the balance front especially if moving over anything less then dead level terrain. I have a couple of these. keep that mass low.

Oct 12, 2013 at 05:17 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gear Cart

Roland W wrote:
The following Wesco folding hand truck has nice big wheels, and a lot of load capacity, and still folds up to a fairly small package. It is obviously overkill for most needs, and costs a lot, but still, I am seriously considering it for hauling a bunch of photo or astronomy gear.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/367966-REG/Wesco_220650_Mega_Mover_Folding_Handtruck.html

I use one for moving my portable studio stuff around. It's great on pavement and level floors, but I wouldn't take it "off road". The vertical clearance between the wheels is only a couple of inches. It would get hung up on just about everything.

Oct 12, 2013 at 06:45 AM
Dave_E
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gear Cart

Thanks guys great information. I had a friend tell me he saw guy with a 3 wheel golf pull cart so he could insert an extended tripod in a short length of what looked like plumbers pipe in the bottom bag holder and lean the tripod in the top bag support and hang a camera bag off the top. Small compact and easily maneuverable I will try and get some more information

Dave

Oct 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.